XAircraft SuperX

CrashMaster

As this is a SuperX thread it may be prudent to keep the mention of other systems out, other than something comparative or where the same issues have been solved in other systems.
Note: I have flown for many years and now have 3 DJI systems but am happy with them but next time may be drawn to the SuperX.

Kari

Is anyone flying superx smoothly in big X8 setup? I have lately tried to tune it and really not getting it smooth like it's flying with wkm, especially in gps mode. Previously my superX was in Cinestar 6 and it was smooth as silk and flew really great, and in other hand my X8:s are flying smooth as silk with wkm but when put SuperX to X8, i just can't find the sweet spot. Sure it flies ok in atti mode but is twitchy in gps. If cranking gains up, it's oscillating before i get to sweet spot. My setup weights approx 12kg with 2X10000mah 6S and Blackmagic 4K and i've tested with t-motor 15X5 props and with 15" xoars and it's definitely better with xoars but not even close as good as it flies with wkm. I don't want to give up yet as i really liked how it flew in flat hex setup. I think it would be nice to have more parameters to adjust. Like wkm advanced parameters does the magic, but i'm afraid it's not possible to get all tuning done precisely only with 5 parameters in superx. I also really don't like that i don't know how atti gains are as there's no indication for values.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Is anyone flying superx smoothly in big X8 setup? I have lately tried to tune it and really not getting it smooth like it's flying with wkm, especially in gps mode. Previously my superX was in Cinestar 6 and it was smooth as silk and flew really great, and in other hand my X8:s are flying smooth as silk with wkm but when put SuperX to X8, i just can't find the sweet spot. Sure it flies ok in atti mode but is twitchy in gps. If cranking gains up, it's oscillating before i get to sweet spot. My setup weights approx 12kg with 2X10000mah 6S and Blackmagic 4K and i've tested with t-motor 15X5 props and with 15" xoars and it's definitely better with xoars but not even close as good as it flies with wkm. I don't want to give up yet as i really liked how it flew in flat hex setup. I think it would be nice to have more parameters to adjust. Like wkm advanced parameters does the magic, but i'm afraid it's not possible to get all tuning done precisely only with 5 parameters in superx. I also really don't like that i don't know how atti gains are as there's no indication for values.

I think you will find others with the same conclusion on the X8 config. I took my SuperX off my X8 at about 18 lbs and put a Naza V2/GPS on it and am much happier. I'm not expert, but I got tired of trying to get it to fly to my expectations. I now have it on a quad w/ 3520 motors flying 14 and 15" props carrying a small 2 axis gimbal with gh3, gh2, (maybe my gh4) later on.

Mike SF

Banned
I found this in the RC forum:
Yaw angle is the gyro reading, and yaw heading is the compass reading. If the compass is calibrated correctly, then the two should be in sync.

Mine are always in sync. Maybe try to calibrate the compass.

dazzab

Anyone else using the XAircraft GPS/Compass folding post to mount their GPS puck on? I spent a week trying to figure out why my SuperX compass wouldn't calibrate and always showed red at the end of the calibration process. If I put it in to GPS mode it would be yellow which is indicative of magnetic interference.

Finally, I took the GPS off another copter and it worked just fine. I thought it was a defective GPS until I did some more testing. I realised the only difference between the two units was that the one that worked was on a post that didn't have any metal on it below the GPS like the one sold by XAircraft does. I did some more testing and found that just moving the GPS a few millimetres above the puck mount cleared up the magnetic interference. I couldn't believe it but I tested it several times and it certainly was the puck post that was causing the problem. I installed it on another post that uses a plastic head with no metal at the top and it's now working fine.

The good news is that both the copters fly just great. I put the SuperX on these two copters that I was using a Pixhawk and an APM on and they are now rock solid. Here's an example of the hexa being flown by a waterfall. I'll be returning to do this again. Unfortunately I had the camera exposure set to overexpose as I had just been shooting in some snow and the waterfall scene was mostly dark so the camera increased the exposure even more which blew out the highlights. Being a waterfall that ruined the shot. But check out how steady the flight is with the SuperX on an Aeronavics hexa

Mike SF

Banned
That is pretty strange. Mine sits on a copper PC board with no problems at all. Quick satellite lock.
View attachment 19135

Btw. nice waterfall footage!

Attachments

• GPS ground shield.jpg
    GPS ground shield.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 247

noid1037

Im working on a first build. Its a Tarot 650 quad frame. The controller of course is a X-Aircraft Standard (upgraded just for the next one)... Im using a Spektrum radio system the AR9020 and the Specktrum DX9. The System is wired as laid out by the X-Aircraft manual page 10 for the Spektrum. Im using port X of the I/O ports for the power to the AR9020 as shown in the video of the X-Aircraft website.
I was wanting to reach out the Spektrum radio users how they were doing and get some pointers on wiring, configuring and help with my build. I really could use some moral support. It seems like all is wired correctly and the radio is setup with reverse Aileron, Rudder, and Failsafe. Im still not having any luck. Can I get some NEWB help? I searched thru the forums and didnt see many with the X-Aircraft controller and the Spektrum radio system giving details on their wiring and build out. I followed the wiring diagram as laid out for the X-Aircraft controller on page 10 from the manual and still no progress...I need a little boost and help... thanks in advance! I really am looking forward to the rig flying! I am using Dualsky motors along with 30amp ESC's and a 4S battery. If I need to provide more info I can do so.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Im working on a first build. Its a Tarot 650 quad frame. The controller of course is a X-Aircraft Standard (upgraded just for the next one)... Im using a Spektrum radio system the AR9020 and the Specktrum DX9. The System is wired as laid out by the X-Aircraft manual page 10 for the Spektrum. Im using port X of the I/O ports for the power to the AR9020 as shown in the video of the X-Aircraft website.
I was wanting to reach out the Spektrum radio users how they were doing and get some pointers on wiring, configuring and help with my build. I really could use some moral support. It seems like all is wired correctly and the radio is setup with reverse Aileron, Rudder, and Failsafe. Im still not having any luck. Can I get some NEWB help? I searched thru the forums and didnt see many with the X-Aircraft controller and the Spektrum radio system giving details on their wiring and build out. I followed the wiring diagram as laid out for the X-Aircraft controller on page 10 from the manual and still no progress...I need a little boost and help... thanks in advance! I really am looking forward to the rig flying! I am using Dualsky motors along with 30amp ESC's and a 4S battery. If I need to provide more info I can do so.

Welcome to the forum and the thread.

the best place to start would be letting is know exact what the problem is :)

I don't have Spektrum gear, but for clarification: are you getting power to the RX? Have you done the stick calibration?

if you give more details on the issues, I'm sure the folks on here will probably get you up in the air soon.

noid1037

Thanks for the direction.... I did get the AR9020 to bind with the radio (DX9) yesterday but ran out of time to work on more. This morning I went to power the quad, the X-A controller came on but the receiver led did not. There is not a binding signal on the DX9. I want to make sure that I am doing this correctly. I have a query into Spektrum for this but have not gotten a response.... Did I fry something?

How warm does/should the X-Aircraft separate LED get, I have used LED's in many facets and some can get warmer than others....
Thanks for the help.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the direction.... I did get the AR9020 to bind with the radio (DX9) yesterday but ran out of time to work on more. This morning I went to power the quad, the X-A controller came on but the receiver led did not. There is not a binding signal on the DX9. I want to make sure that I am doing this correctly. I have a query into Spektrum for this but have not gotten a response.... Did I fry something?

How warm does/should the X-Aircraft separate LED get, I have used LED's in many facets and some can get warmer than others....
Thanks for the help.

You turned on the transmitter first before the Rx? It you didn't - the RX might not light up. If you're at the very first steps you might as well go ahead and try it again. Check your power connections and the servo leads running to the RX. Just trace everything and make sure it's all good. Usually it's something minor at this point.

Do your ESCs have BEC or are they OPTO? When you bound the RX, was it getting power from the FC?

noid1037

I had an epiphany, I re-thought this out and asked myself why dont I try to re-bind the whole setup.... I added the binding plug to the receiver and the light started to flash.... so I turned off the quad and turned on the DX-9 and repowered the quad... now the DX-9 and AR-9020 is synced up again. I do wonder though to the group how warm the I/O V2 gets, and how warm the LED should be? Both are quite warm!

Before I restart this process I would love some feedback on how HOT the groups have been... again Im powering directly from a 4S battery....

Seond part to your question Motopreserve, I am using Spider 30A OPTO ESC's. The receiver (AR9020) is getting power frm the X port of the I/O V2---is this correct config?
Thanks for your help!
Next I will start to calibrate the setup!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I power my RX through the x port, but it's being used for sbus. I would assume your setup would be fine - especially if you referenced an xaircraft video.

My LED module gets a little hot. Haven't felt the I/O, but it's electronic gear encased in metal - so not shocking :)

keep moving on - do the cal erc and let us know if you run into other issues. Most of this stuff is solved with some deep breaths and sometimes taking a step back...