how come i can't get more FPV distance?

linter

i'm using a fatshark vtx and fatshark attitudes goggle and when i get about 50' out, even with no obstructions around, the signal starts to deteriorate pdq. at first, i thought it was battery noise, so i bought ibcrazy's filter and that had no impact whatsoever. so then i thought i'd try a separate battery for the camera and vtx. made a little difference but not much. so i'm just about out of ideas. anyone have any thoughts? i'm using fatshark CP antennas, which ought to be good enough, I think, buy maybe i should upgrade? all thoughts appreciated!

kloner

Aerial DP
there could be alot of things that can do that. if i remember right your antenna doesn't point straight up off the vtx..... it really needs to be up away from the props a tad. it is also a possibility that one of the antennas is broken, Sometimes more than not the ground on the sma on the vtx or uno cracks and you gotta resolder it. Also gopros especially ones not working right can screw up the noise floor. It used to work, no? I get a mile behind myself before i realize the patch antenna is pointing the wrong way

linter

yes, it worked at your place and out in the desert and way down the train tracks, too. the antenna does point straight up and i've tried straight down, too. neither helped. i'm not using a gopro as the camera; went with one of those tiny sony pz cams instead. maybe it's a broken solder joint on the vtx. don't think it's the rx in the fatsharks, since i get the same problem when viewing with a monitor. any other troubleshooting tips?