XAircraft SuperX

Go4d

Hello Guys,
I did some testing, and I need some advise,
This is a smaller quad that I have, I have not yet done test with the big quad, but I will like to get this one tuned first, still working on the big one….
This is a X650 with SuperX, KDE 2814-775 with KDE ESC 35, 13x5 T-motor prop.
I did the ESC firmware update using the DMA device to latest firmware and it improved very much, I used the settings advised by Patrick at KDE.

My gains are:
Roll 0.8
Pitch 0.8
Yaw 0.8
Height 1.0
the G-knob is at -3 (Futaba Radio)
I still have some tuning to do, please advise, this is my log:
http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2015_08_29_190323.000_19.4.02.05

As you can see I still have some vibrations. I appreciate all your advise.
Thanks guys !!

In case you can't see the logs, here are some pics…

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.29.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.29.58 PM.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 324
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.29.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.29.50 PM.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 497
  • Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.30.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 9.30.20 PM.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 324
Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It looks like the output from your motors are a bit off. Check to make sure the motor/mounts are level.

Also, make sure your props are balanced well to rule that out for vibrations.

Go4d

Hello Motopreserve,

Thanks for your advise, the props are well balanced I did make sure of that before flying, however I will double check just to make sure…. The motor mount level I did not checked, I guess I thrusted Xaircraft frame to be well align, I will check motor alignment and let you know.

Mounting the Flight Controller:
- I did not mentioned that I mounted the FC using double sided 3M VHB tape, I overlooked this, I am not sure if this could cause some vibration since it is not isolating vibrations, perhaps I should use a dampening foam, what do you use to mount FC?
Regards.

SamaraMedia

I'm using the same tape as you on my SuperX, works fine from what i can tell. Once i got my motors aligned properly my vibes went down and the hex just seemed to settle in. Getting ready to test with gimbal and camera this week, will post results when I have them.

Go4d

In regards of the KDE ESC's programming:
- I adjusted the S.R. BRAKING ACTIVATION to "PRECISION", I was told by KDE that this will immediately enable the braking to the highest-level (maximum control of acceleration and deceleration). It will make the multi-rotor feel "robotic", meaning very locked-in, and has direct-control to the motor at the fastest response. This is the standard setting for the FPV Racing, where they want maximum performance and control, so this will increase the resolution of the flight-controller to the motors.
- I could try the "DYNAMIC" Braking Activation for a "less robotic feel".

I will check motor alignment first.
Thanks Jwoike

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've used double sided tape as well, and now have it in a 3D printed holder of sorts. That seems to work well too. Make sure the main unit is pointing forward and you should be fine. :)

I haven't gotten around to updating the ESCs yet - but I think the Dynamic setting is what I'm after. The description sounded like it would smooth out the response - which would be better for filming I'd imagine.

Let us know how it goes.

SamaraMedia

Just got back from a test flight with gimbal and camera mounted on my Tarot X6. The machine is finally feeling locked in and I'm gaining confidence each time out. All I can say is I'm impressed with the feel of this setup. The combination of the KDE 4012 400kv motors with the KDE 55 amp esc using the upgraded firmware is smooooooooth. Took it up about 55 meters and deccended back to launch area about 100 meters away and reduced the throttle to 38% with no erratic behavior what so ever. Whether that is due to the dynamic braking or not I'm not sure but since upgrading the firmware I have a smile on my face when flying.

Now it's time to tune the gimbal....I'll post a video later from the test using three cam's. FPV pilot cam with OSD, GoPro on arm to monitor gimbal action and then from the Sony Handicam.

SamaraMedia

Still have some pitch jitters I need to work on but the horizon is not bad for a CP ;) Strange thing, seems more stable on pitch when going FFF than when slow cruising. Probably need to tweak balance on that axis a little more. One step at a time...slow process

Go4d

Hello Guys,
I did some new flights, here is the result…

I double checked props and they were very well balanced, then I checked motor alignment as Kloners video, at first site they all looked aligned, but for my frame I tough that it was not so precise, so I did a 4 point calibration using an inclinometer and I found out that I had one motor slightly bad aligned, about 2 to 2.5 degrees the problem was that this 2 degrees where to the opposite direction, like -2 degrees when other motors were like +0.5, I guess if the error was to the same direction like +2.5 degrees it would probably vibrate less… anyway, I re-aligned motors and also I reprogrammed the ESC to Dynamic Braking, and now vibration is under 0.5, so I guess that this is more reasonable, I know I can still fine tune the gains, but right now it feels a lot better. Also today was a bit windy so I didn't wanted to mess with the gains, I went with the rule (if it is working, don't touch it).
I believe that main problem was the motor alignment, but also updating the firmware and using a dynamic braking helped a lot to get a smoother feel of the flight. I didn't tough that the SuperX was this sensitive, now I know to consider motor alignment as a priority.

Here are a couple of logs from todays flight, please let me know what do you think I can fine tune. I am however pleased with the result and I really appreciate all your input and support. I hope I can help you guys as you helped me, thanks again!!

Todays logs:
http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2015_09_01_165214.750_21.1.03.13
http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2015_09_01_165214.750_20.1.05.58

If you want to compare with the flight before motor alignment and Dynamic braking, here is the log from before:
http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2015_09_01_165214.750_19.4.02.05

I am also attaching some pics from the new logs in case you can't see the logs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.01.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.01.56 PM.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 450
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.01.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.01.46 PM.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.02.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 7.02.04 PM.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 431