Zero UAV ZeroUAV YS-X4 Owners Thread

I have done nothing else for days other than try and get a calibration reading. I get it first time always on my YS-X6 so I guess I must have a faulty unit.
The only other straw I can clutch at is that I have flown it in the Northern Hemisphere and as far as I can remember it calibrated fine. Maybe mine is the only unit in the world that has flown in both hemispheres! I am waiting to see if zerouav can make any sense of the flight log

Hi Nic. The Ys-x6 has been sweet, but I didn't bring it here to south Africa. I haven't done anything other than fly it around in atti and used the GPS hover, but no issues. I was concentrating on getting the rsgs 1.7 tweaked.

robone

I have done nothing else for days other than try and get a calibration reading. I get it first time always on my YS-X6 so I guess I must have a faulty unit.
The only other straw I can clutch at is that I have flown it in the Northern Hemisphere and as far as I can remember it calibrated fine. Maybe mine is the only unit in the world that has flown in both hemispheres! I am waiting to see if zerouav can make any sense of the flight log

have you upgraded to the latest FW, as the previous version was causing a few problems.

Somehow I don't think the Southern Hemisphere has anything to do with it :)

I got a reply from zero. They checked the log and my GPS unit was pointing baclwards. Thats what happens when you are so confident that you chuck something together without double checking everything. Sorry for wasting your time guys especially Nic and Rob and of course Cherry at Zerouav.
I feel so stupid and my stupidity has cost me a gopro 3 black. :strawberry:
Dont try fying with the GPS reversed, it wont calbrate and although it flies fine in atti, it is absolutely impossible in GPS mode!

robone

I got a reply from zero. They checked the log and my GPS unit was pointing baclwards. Thats what happens when you are so confident that you chuck something together without double checking everything. Sorry for wasting your time guys especially Nic and Rob and of course Cherry at Zerouav.
I feel so stupid and my stupidity has cost me a gopro 3 black. :strawberry:
Dont try fying with the GPS reversed, it wont calbrate and although it flies fine in atti, it is absolutely impossible in GPS mode!

Okay, thats one thing I would not have thought of. I remember the 1st time I tried to calibrate my YS-X6 compass. I faced the multirotor upwards when it should have pointed down, because I had used a system before that required the compass to point up. I am the type of person who assembles and then reads the instructions when things go wrong.

Anyway, at least you found out the cause of the problem. And again sorry about your loss. You are on holiday at probably one of the poorest areas in South Africa, so I am amazed you got anything back. They probably sold you camera for about R10 ( about 75p) However, it is a beautiful part of the country if you are in the Transkei Wild Coast

Cheers
Rob

giorf

New at this and have a question.
I just bought the YS-X4 navigator version and have a hard time connecting my Android phone to the WiFi module. First I tried to connect through the USB to Serial cable and found out that Windows 8 supports only the PL-2303HXD (HX Rev D) chip and any previous chips (PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X​) are not supported (drivers won't be updated). If you see a yellow exclamation mark next to the USB device in Device Manager, you have the older chip. Then I tried the router option. I setup a spare router as described (SSID: ZERO-TECH and Passphrase: 82890430, IP 192.168.1.1). I installed the YS app on my decommisioned HTC Android phone and connected to the same router. My computer was connected to the router and so was my phone. I applied power to the WiFi module, conected the X4 module to it ande powered it on as well. When I started the YS app I got a big red square in the middle of the phone's screen saying "communication disconnected". At this point I didn't know if my my WiFi module was working or not. I pocked around the router settings and discoverd that two wireless devices were connected to the router (my computer was connected by cable). That got me excited...:). While trying to find more info about the WiFi modules I stumbled across a write up where it mentioned that the WiFi module uses 192.168.1.254 as the default IP. I typed that address into my browser and was presented with a log in screen. Oh joy...........Admin - admin let me in. The settings looked similar to a router with additional settings for the serial connection. It even has a build-in DHCP server. At this point I still could not connect my phone to the module. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to make changes here (could not find anything about the internal WiFi module settings). Maybe somebody can elaborate more on how he/she connected the phone to the WiFi module.

I bought the DJI F550. I also got the extensions with bigger motors (ArialMediaPros). It's half way done and I can't wait to do my first flight.
Thanks guys

robone

Hi Giorf

Welcome to the YS-X4. You won't be disappointed.

Have you looked at the wifi config software on this site http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1697842

Have you connected all the parts of your YS-X4. I think if one part is missing, for instance the GPS or the LED, then it may not send data and then the little sign comes up saying communication disconnected. The reason I asked is because you said you connected the wifi and then the YS-X4 but never got around to saying the rest of the items.

If you can get into the system and went through the admin admin story, then you are connected to the wifi module.

cheers
Rob

giorf

Thanks Rob for the fast reply. I did not attach any other component, just the WiFi module to the X4 (I did attach the LED briefly just to see if it turns on, and it did, constantly white). I will finish my build and connect everything together and try again. I just assumed that the X4 would send out something (anything) once turned on - (and there is no mention anywhere about this important step - at least I didn't find anything about it). But then again, I'm new to this and assuming things can be dangerous.......:eek:

I was at the www.rcgroups.com site before and downloaded everything I thought I would need. Even though I have a 3rd gen iPad, I'd rather use my Android phone. I "jailbroke" apple devices too many times and I'm just tired of it ..:(.
I'll let you know if it worked.

Thanks again,
Giovanni

Last edited by a moderator:

giorf

Well, major disappointment............... This morning I connected all the wires (WiFi module to FC, Rx to FC, LED to FC, GPS to FC, power to Wifi Module and FC). My "ZERO-TECH" router was turned on. My Android phone was connected to the router. I connected the LiPo to the main connection on my hexa and the music started. The LED continuously blinked red 3 times. The FC had a constant blue light on and the Rx was blinking a red light (no pattern). I ran the YS app on my Android phone only to see the same message "communication disconnected". Arrrrrrrrgh. Since my computer was connected to the same router, I pinged the WiFi module 192.168.1.254 (constantly -t) to see if it was connected to the router. I got a full reply meaning connection to the router was established. After a while the LED stopped blinking and turned off. All other lights stayed the same. How else can you setup the FC/Rx I wonder. It is very frustrating to say the least. I send two e-mails to ZeroUAV two days ago and have yet to hear from them. Well, I guess back to the drawing board and keep digging the Internet. Let me know if anybody has an idea of what else to try.

Giovanni

giorf

Update:
I was looking around my settings trying to figure things out and went back into the WiFI module settings. I clicked on the reset button and it took about 15 sec to come back up. To my surprise, my Android phone all of a sudden was able to communicate and I saw data changing. I also was able to "get" the parameters on to the phone......:). I feel much better now.

Giovanni

robone

Well, major disappointment............... This morning I connected all the wires (WiFi module to FC, Rx to FC, LED to FC, GPS to FC, power to Wifi Module and FC). My "ZERO-TECH" router was turned on. My Android phone was connected to the router. I connected the LiPo to the main connection on my hexa and the music started. The LED continuously blinked red 3 times. The FC had a constant blue light on and the Rx was blinking a red light (no pattern). I ran the YS app on my Android phone only to see the same message "communication disconnected". Arrrrrrrrgh. Since my computer was connected to the same router, I pinged the WiFi module 192.168.1.254 (constantly -t) to see if it was connected to the router. I got a full reply meaning connection to the router was established. After a while the LED stopped blinking and turned off. All other lights stayed the same. How else can you setup the FC/Rx I wonder. It is very frustrating to say the least. I send two e-mails to ZeroUAV two days ago and have yet to hear from them. Well, I guess back to the drawing board and keep digging the Internet. Let me know if anybody has an idea of what else to try.

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni

Generally it is something wrong on the settings in the router. Apparently some routers do not work. I know the TP-Link routers work. ZeroUAV did publish a list of routers that did not work, from what I remember. And the ZEROUAV team are all on the Chinese New Year holiday and won't be back until the 21 Feb.

When you were connected to the router did you see if your tablet/phone was connected?

If you use the wifi config software to change the wifi module to point to point mode and then try it. Or as another solution you can set your android tablet/phone up as a hotspot. I do this often with my HTC Flyer when I don't feel like lugging a router around.

Rob

robone

Update:
I was looking around my settings trying to figure things out and went back into the WiFI module settings. I clicked on the reset button and it took about 15 sec to come back up. To my surprise, my Android phone all of a sudden was able to communicate and I saw data changing. I also was able to "get" the parameters on to the phone......:). I feel much better now.

Giovanni

Damn....I should have read the next post before answering your previous one :)

Glad you got it working.

It is always something simple.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob I am back in Johannesburg and mounted all the electronics on an old airframe that I had from a previous visit.
This time I have the GPS facing the right way but still cannot calibrate. I have executed multiple turns with the blue light full on in both axes. The numbers hackle al the way up to about 1100 in both the xy and xz axes but still no circles. There are other issues that I do not have with my X6 as well, so maybe I can give you a call and we get together? What part of joburg are you?

robone

Hi Rob I am back in Johannesburg and mounted all the electronics on an old airframe that I had from a previous visit.
This time I have the GPS facing the right way but still cannot calibrate. I have executed multiple turns with the blue light full on in both axes. The numbers hackle al the way up to about 1100 in both the xy and xz axes but still no circles. There are other issues that I do not have with my X6 as well, so maybe I can give you a call and we get together? What part of joburg are you?

Hi Chris

I am near Rosebank. Send me an email at sales@multirotor.co.za and I will give you my contact details or my phone number is on my website. We can arrange something for tomorrow.

Rob

Thanks for your help today Rob. I reloaded the firmware and stil no dice, so I have written to ZeroUAV. Not expecting any response until after the Chinese New Year!

robone

Thanks for your help today Rob. I reloaded the firmware and stil no dice, so I have written to ZeroUAV. Not expecting any response until after the Chinese New Year!

Hi Chris...I could have sworn that the installation of the latest FW would have sorted the problem out. Let us know how it goes. ZeroUAV are very proactive when it comes to repairing broken systems, but still, it is a pain in the butt to have to send it back to them and then wait for it to be returned, and never mind the cost involved.

Rob

robone

Hi Chris...I could have sworn that the installation of the latest FW would have sorted the problem out. Let us know how it goes. ZeroUAV are very proactive when it comes to repairing broken systems, but still, it is a pain in the butt to have to send it back to them and then wait for it to be returned, and never mind the cost involved.

Rob

I was thinking about this and why have all the problems with calibrating the compass suddenly appeared.

New firmware and GCS's were released on the 25 Jan. I think it is related to that.

I know the latest Android GCS is causing a problem with loading waypoints in countries that use the comma as a decimal point, so maybe the Android GCS is somehow not saving the compass calibration too.

I would recommend that everyone 1st load the previous android GCS and try and calibrate with that and if that does not work, load the previous FW and try and calibrate with that.

You can find all the software/FW here http://multirotor.co.za/?page_id=1725

Rob

OK I have tried the following combinations:
New GCS New FW = no calibration
New GCS Old FW = no calibration
Old GCS New FW = no calibration
Old GCS Old FW = no calibration

So it seems whatever I do there is no compass calibration.

Oh, I forgot to add, I also tried it with the PC GCS. that didnt work either

nicwilke

I was thinking about this and why have all the problems with calibrating the compass suddenly appeared.

New firmware and GCS's were released on the 25 Jan. I think it is related to that.

I know the latest Android GCS is causing a problem with loading waypoints in countries that use the comma as a decimal point, so maybe the Android GCS is somehow not saving the compass calibration too.

I would recommend that everyone 1st load the previous android GCS and try and calibrate with that and if that does not work, load the previous FW and try and calibrate with that.

You can find all the software/FW here http://multirotor.co.za/?page_id=1725

Rob

Rob, I have 4 guys & myself that have all of the sudden had issues with android connecting to the wifi module. I went and purchased a new one (the newer router model wifi module) and ditched my datalink. Works fine, but I have to load my maps on 3G in the field first, then do waypoints, and loose conenction when it is out of range. I hope Peter from ZeroTech isnt pissing it up too much over CNY celebrations.

robone

OK I have tried the following combinations:
New GCS New FW = no calibration
New GCS Old FW = no calibration
Old GCS New FW = no calibration
Old GCS Old FW = no calibration

So it seems whatever I do there is no compass calibration.

Oh, I forgot to add, I also tried it with the PC GCS. that didnt work either

Hi Chris

It looks like my assumptions were wrong then. But at least when you get hold of support you can tell them what you have done.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Cheers
Rob