Zero UAV ZeroUAV YS-X4 Owners Thread

robone

Just tested the YS-X4 on an X-8. The setup pretty much out of the box. It seems that once the altitude hold is on while flying in altitude hold mode or GPS mode, the motors start to oscillate. Its restless. Actually my YS-X6 does the same. Tried to put the values down, but its still restless. On the manual mode its much better (video from 0:28) Any ideas? Here´s the video:

https://vimeo.com/54954528

Rgds,
Tuomas

Hi Tuomas

I was having a similar problem, but flying a CarbonCore 500X4. I got hold of support and they suggested that I start by changing the Overload Control from soft to hard.

And then to slowly change the Motion Compensation upwards until you get it stable. I moved from 50 up to 120, when I thought it felt better. In fact now it is extremely stable in GPS mode. I have now started to only fly in GPS mode. Take off and landing is a breeze.

One thing I do notice that when the wind picks up it tends to correct quite quickly. But I attribute that to the weight of the frame I am using which is only 330g and using the MT2216 motors which are quite powerful.

But I am happy. What I like about it is when flying (in GPS mode) and you take you finger off the sticks, it comes to a stop, and then moves back to the place where you take your finger off the sticks. Quite impressive. I have also found that you can throw it around quite a bit in GPS mode.

Cheers
Rob

mongo

lost soul
got heli got me one, now, all i need to do is recover from whatever version of creeping crud has got me by the nuts and get well enough to try installing it and trying it out.

chrismog

Silly old fart
aanybody happen to know, who the dealer for zero stuff in the US is. maybe even have a link?
Hi Mongo
Got mine from "http://www.fpvmodel.com/-zerouav_c91?zenid=bfd33a410b29d5cb0ddf2a7142d31c55"
Price $639 (approx 479 Pounds) for Navigator Version

mongo

lost soul
that would be about the same price as gotheli gets for the nav version.
i got the wify version.

any of yall that got yours installed and flying, happen to have any edits or anything i might wana be aware of in the quick start guide?

I am a YS-x6 user but bought a YS-X4 to take on holiday with me to South Africa.
Now I am here and putting it together. I get a solid white light on switch on and according to the notes the latest FW update fixes this. However I cannot find the update tool on the Zerouav site or anywhere else. I have the firmware file but does anyone know if I can use the YS-x6 upgrade tool for the X4? (the tool not the firmware). Or is there somewhere I can get the YS-X4 upgrade tool?

How important is the Compass calibration? For the life of me I cannot do it. The blue light comes on but it is so sensitive I cannot keep it solidly on when doing the magnetic dance. When I finish it goes to the green cross screen and starts crunching numbers but when it has finished no concentric circles appear. According to the manual this means caibration is unsuccessful. I have tried for 2 days now and am resigned that I just cannot do it!
I have had a ys-x6 for some time with no issues, it calibrates fine. The ony difference is I am now in the southern hemisphere.

robone

How important is the Compass calibration? For the life of me I cannot do it. The blue light comes on but it is so sensitive I cannot keep it solidly on when doing the magnetic dance. When I finish it goes to the green cross screen and starts crunching numbers but when it has finished no concentric circles appear. According to the manual this means caibration is unsuccessful. I have tried for 2 days now and am resigned that I just cannot do it!
I have had a ys-x6 for some time with no issues, it calibrates fine. The ony difference is I am now in the southern hemisphere.

Hi Chris....It is extremely important. If you don't get it right the system will just fly around in a circle or whatever.

Practice makes perfect. I still battle. It has nothing to do with the Southern Hemisphere :)

Hi Rob
Maybe when I get back to Johannesburg I could come and visit you and you could help me set it up? I would be very grateful.
I tried flying without a successful calibration and it was all over the place. Anyway I am down in the Eastern Cape where I was hoping to do some filming, so I dont think I wil persevere with the X4 any longer. I have a backup naza so I am going to put that in. Thanks for your advice.

robone

Hi Rob
Maybe when I get back to Johannesburg I could come and visit you and you could help me set it up? I would be very grateful.
I tried flying without a successful calibration and it was all over the place. Anyway I am down in the Eastern Cape where I was hoping to do some filming, so I dont think I wil persevere with the X4 any longer. I have a backup naza so I am going to put that in. Thanks for your advice.

Chris..Not a problem. My phone number is on my website. Hope you are enjoying your stay in SA.

Cheers
Rob

robone

I was out demonstrating the YS-X6 using a Vulcan Y6 650 and the YS-X4 using the CarbonCore 500X4 to a few people today. The wind was about 15km/hr.

It was very hard to tell the difference. When you took your fingers off the sticks and hovered, the YS-X6 just sat there and did not move. I really love to fly the YS-X6 using the Vulcan Y6, and the YS-X4 was almost as good. In fact the people I was demonstrating to, said that for the price difference and for what they wanted it for, the YS-X4 was ideal. They are going to be using a thermal Imaging camera.

I am still undecided :) ...so I have decided that I like them both

Cheers
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

mongo

lost soul
wonder when zero uav will give those of us not enamored of apple or android a gcs that will work with winphone or windows tablets?

robone

wonder when zero uav will give those of us not enamored of apple or android a gcs that will work with winphone or windows tablets?

I am sure they will, when the Windows Tablet becomes popular. At the moment, I don't know anyone with one.

Did first flight with YS-X4 this morning. I have been trying to calibrate the mag compass for days. The light goes blue. I manage to keep it blue for 2 or three turns in both axes while doing the dance, It goes to the green cross screen and crunches numbers in xy and xz etc, etc but I never get the 2 riings. So i thought it must be a fault with the GCS or something so decided to fly anyway. Big mistake. It flew fine in Atti mode but as soon as I put it in GPS it went ape**** and crashed.
Unfortunately some locals managed to get to the wreckage before I did and by the time I had collected the pieces together the brand new Gopro Black was missing. I have no idea what to do next, I have a YS-x6 which has no issues and also have a WKM and Naza Gps also without issue. Oh well guess I had better send the flight log to zero and see if they can find anything.

nicwilke

Did first flight with YS-X4 this morning. I have been trying to calibrate the mag compass for days. The light goes blue. I manage to keep it blue for 2 or three turns in both axes while doing the dance, It goes to the green cross screen and crunches numbers in xy and xz etc, etc but I never get the 2 riings. So i thought it must be a fault with the GCS or something so decided to fly anyway. Big mistake. It flew fine in Atti mode but as soon as I put it in GPS it went ape**** and crashed.
Unfortunately some locals managed to get to the wreckage before I did and by the time I had collected the pieces together the brand new Gopro Black was missing. I have no idea what to do next, I have a YS-x6 which has no issues and also have a WKM and Naza Gps also without issue. Oh well guess I had better send the flight log to zero and see if they can find anything.

How is your X6 going? Sorry to hear about the hero theft.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

robone

Hi Chris

If you don't have enough data or maybe if it is corrupt then the circles won't appear. So that means your compass was actually not calibrated.

Sorry to hear about your mishap and loss.

Rob