Hoverfly aerobatics

kloner

Aerial DP
Is anybody flying a hoverfly pro as an aerobatic controller or fast forward flight? has anybody seen em anywhere else?

Photronix

Pilot
The PRO is necessarily not designed for aerobatics. The SPORT is however and you can choose from AP, SPORT, or EXPERT modes. It is difficult to flip the PRO unless you have significant altitude and GUTS.

Efliernz

Pete
The PRO is necessarily not designed for aerobatics. The SPORT is however and you can choose from AP, SPORT, or EXPERT modes. It is difficult to flip the PRO unless you have significant altitude and GUTS.

...and a borrowed machine!

Pete

hjls3

hard todo is no doubt the truth, but one has to consider who asked the question. same guy a mile or two out - 2 feet above the pacific ocean. do it kloner! just share the video with us.

kloner

Aerial DP
well i got the borrowed machine part.........

theres no weird quirks that any of you guys know of with it and things like high speed dives, high speed flight, none of that stuff right? I mean, i'll be going for it anyway, just don't wanna hear how i shoulda asked first.

It is going to carry an AV100 tilt only gimble. if i am going to dive straight down, is there anything i should know, setup or do to keep the gimble from wigging out?

Efliernz

Pete
Admittedly I'm not throwing my HFP boards around but I am flipping / high speed screaming around my disposable KK2 1.5Kg quad.

1) One thing worth noting is that you need to keep reduced power on when inverted / diving (I use about 1/3) or you have no directional control. That can get embarrassing.
2) The other is up your throttle trim a bit so the motors don't stop. That way - if you get carried away with the yaw at low / really low throttle, you wont disarm the board! That gets really embarrassing...
3) Go high... 150' and a slow response will be too low. Go for 250 for your first
4) Video it
5) Don't do it above cow poo. After 4 1/2 fwd flips, I made my quad really smelly on Saturday ;)

Pete

Aerovideo

I've never done any flips or rolls with my Hoverfly Pro quads, as I don't have big steely cojones, but I've done some high speed dives without problems although I wasn't carrying a gimbal down below. The thing I like about my pro boards is that you put them in an attitude and they do pretty well at staying in that attitude until you change so it makes for some nice straight dives!

The sport boards are a little more agile/squirrely but are also great for FPV. I've seen videos of the sport board doing flips and rolls but again, I just don't have the guts to try it :) Well on purpose that it...

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm a long range FPV pilot..... i'f i'm going for something, it'd be more like a dive for 2000 feet then fly along something for a mile or two........ not necesarily any 3d or even hard tight LOS type flying..... This is all on a USDRONES xy8

The hf pro board can be disarmed by just dropping the throttle? theres no arm/disarm sequeunce? I haven't even hooked it up to my pc, just read the manual a few times.

But it's a naza and has me all freaked out about diving with it, little lone flipping anything over. Am hoping this HFP will give me just enough smoothness out of getting it in perculiar positions while still fly smooth enough to be worth risking it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerovideo

The hf pro board can be disarmed by just dropping the throttle? theres no arm/disarm sequeunce? I haven't even hooked it up to my pc, just read the manual a few times.

No, just dropping the throttle doesn't disarm the HF boards. It's a quick left right sequence on the rudder to activate/deactivate.

Here is a quick question. Just built up a FPV rig out of some old parts and put a HFP on it. I usualy am filming with my HF boards so I never really fly that fast or agressive. After getting a good feel for FPV over the last few months I have started getting a bit more ambitious. Yesterday I was flying high and trying to chase down this airplane that was flying around. I went into a decent dive and my quad started yawing hard to the left. I compinsate by giving alot of hard right rudder. This works for a second but then the quad pretty much spins out of controll. When I though it was overhead I took off my goggles to see if I could bring it in. That proved to be a bad Idea as the quad was not where I thought it would be in the air. I might have had one more chance to save it but not witout the goggles on. Lucy the ground was soft and I only broke the props and an arm. Had it flying in the afternoon. Just wondering why the rig would spin out of controll like that. bad ESC? bad Motor? Spend all eveing flying the quad trying to replicate the issue with no luck. It flew flawlessly. Any chance for RF interferance? I had 2.4 and my buddy had Dragon Link I was running 1.3 and he was on 900mhz. here is the link.

Thanks for any insight!
cheers
Huck Norris!

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
well that answers that question........ only one i've seen do it and do it alot perfectly is open pilot.....

I am guessing the Sport board would do quite well. I really don't think it was the HFP at all though. The quad I was using is a real POS I slapped it together with a bunch of old parts It makes bad vibrations when flyinig fast. I think it was either that or a motor\ESC issue. I am using this guy to practice FPV. I want to be ready when the Disco gets here.