GoPro 3

nicwilke

Ken,
Forgive me for not reading back, you have the GP3 Black edition yes? I'm thinking of getting one to run side by side on the AV130 with the PJ710v to do pans only. The Sony BOSS is great, but I think a GP3 would be a great addition to get non-stuttering pans....

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken,
Forgive me for not reading back, you have the GP3 Black edition yes? I'm thinking of getting one to run side by side on the AV130 with the PJ710v to do pans only. The Sony BOSS is great, but I think a GP3 would be a great addition to get non-stuttering pans....

Yes, GP3 Black edition. 1080P 60fps is super smooth panning, I've yet to try 720P @ 120fps...

Ken

Macsgrafs

Thanks Ross! Yes, that was a somewhat low airliner lining up for approach to Logan airport in Boston, wish I could have tilted the cam up a bit to get a better shot when it was closer. You can actually see the Boston skyline just over the hills the CS6 is pointed at in that vid, or at least I can on the big monitor I've got here, the fine detail tends to disappear after uploading to Youtube. The stuttering in the pan is a Youtube feature, I just watched the original and it's not there.

I'll do a nice slow pan with it next time out, when that will be I don't know, just took the dogs out and found a coating of snow in the backyard and it's blowing a gale out there as well. Weather report is on the tele right now and they say it will hit 65 degrees on Sunday, crazy weather in this part of the world...

Ken

Yes...good old youtube & issues surrounding it's use. No worries mate, looking forward to your next flight & a slow pan...fingers crossed that the weather improves for you as well....considering here in the UK we never had a summer this year!

Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, migrating from the GP2 to the GP3Black did you have to do any cable changes??

All my other GoPros are the original HD Hero series so the cabling is compeletely different from those, don't own a Hero 2 so I can't say what the difference is from that.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

interesting, conclusion if you have a Gopro Hero 2 no need really to get a silver Hero 3

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it's the same thing, white is a hero 1, no sense in messing with that.

other than the ability to take stills while video recording and the higher resolution, her2 is doing alot of the same things the black is in here so far. that same memory in a hero2 makes perfect pans, super clean, great color, love the new protune deal

if you watch these protune flicks in low res, you'll see the glitchy pans go away.... youtube sucks

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
it's the same thing, white is a hero 1, no sense in messing with that.

other than the ability to take stills while video recording and the higher resolution, her2 is doing alot of the same things the black is in here so far. that same memory in a hero2 makes perfect pans, super clean, great color, love the new protune deal

if you watch these protune flicks in low res, you'll see the glitchy pans go away.... youtube sucks

Other than the size difference, the Hero 3 being significantly thinner front to back than the Hero 2 and previous, the only other feature you get with the Black edition over the Hero 2 besides the resolution additions is the built in wifi on the 3. I haven't tested the range on it yet, the nice to have part for me is being able to start the camera recording by using the remote as well as change modes remotely. If I really want to see what the camera is seeing I'll either add an FPV cam as you mentioned or rig up something to get the camera video to the ground. I wonder if it will record and display the video on the HDMI out port. If it does then it should be fairly simple to rig one of the cheap ebay converters to get the video into a VTX. It would be really nice if I could just connect it to the Freefly converter already on the Cinestar...

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Why is no one uploading to Vimeo?

Dave

Because their "free" service is file size and data quantity limited, to be able to upload whatever you want whenever you want you have to pay. Youtube on the other hand is free for the end user and not limited, at least for the time being.

Being the cheap arsed SOB that I am I can deal with the youtube limitations as long as it doesn't cost anything...;)

Ken

jcmonty

RTRyder, are you using protune or standard modes for your videos? Just picked up a black yesterday and have started to play a bit with the different modes. I am not a post-processing expert, and find protune to be a bit flat without any post, which I guess is the point.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
RTRyder, are you using protune or standard modes for your videos? Just picked up a black yesterday and have started to play a bit with the different modes. I am not a post-processing expert, and find protune to be a bit flat without any post, which I guess is the point.

I've been working with both. IMO standard works fine for any non-commercial use, much better than my older HD Heros. Protune does need to be run through post of some form, I use the GoPro Cineform app and apply the Protune preset to get the end result. Don't see the need for it outside of commercial use where the clips would be used in broadcast or high end video production, just adds more steps for hobby use.

Does look good though...

Ken

4k Cinema jpg frame capture. the detail in the original file is quite good. it did lock up the gp3 when i stopped recording, waited a minute or more as i thought it was writing
arch-rock2.jpg

large size file 2.8 meg jpg
[URL]http://www.myyosemite.com/sites/default/files/archrock.jpg
[/URL]

SMP

Chuckling here - Earthling is indeed the man, GREAT info! (And a fairly decent Flame war as well) ;) ;)

Hi Guys

Anyone after a Gopro 3 Black? We have a spare one here as customer changed his mind. Its brand new and unopened. £355 and will do special next day in the UK.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Guys any lens protection out yet for the Gopro 3,

In any case just designing one since my Gopro 3 arrived. Gonna be a small 5mm piece. Easy cut out for anyone.
Gonna put the files online once everything is right.

All you need is the lens proctecion parts from the plastic case.

View attachment 7770

Boris

Attachments

• Lenseprotection.jpg
    Lenseprotection.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 273

andrewrob

Hi Guys

Anyone after a Gopro 3 Black? We have a spare one here as customer changed his mind. Its brand new and unopened. £355 and will do special next day in the UK.

I'd love one but was a bit put off by the heavy barrel distortion. I've got a 550d at the moment on an 18mm lens (not taking into account the 1.6x crop factor) but was drawn to these for the 2.7k resolution/faster FPS at lower resolutions and the weight of the unit. My AV130 with the skyline in struggles to tilt up and down smoothly without juddering with the 550d in.