GoPro 3

meme

Here you go: Gopro @ 1080-50 protune and somepost stabi with the Disco:

Last edited by a moderator:

jcmonty

Here you go: Gopro @ 1080-50 protune and somepost stabi with the Disco:

Very nice video! What props did you end up with on the disco? Debating my choices right now. My APC's just won't balance for the life of them

meme

Another great vid, Meme! Very enjoyable to watch.
Thanks Tom! There is a lot of jello in... specially in strong light conditions. Have ordered a polarized filter and hope that jello is gone then.
@jc: i am with the 9"er Graups again, perfect for 4s and 900 kv motors.

cheers,
meme

Tahoe Ed

Just got my GoPro 3 Black. I sold my two iPhones to make the down payment. Maybe my wife will make up the difference for my birthday. Not likely. It is charging now along with the remote. I am planning to do some filming with my DJI Phantom. The mount connects to the GoPro without modification. I just have to reverse the orientation. TTTL.

Tomstoy2

Well, the answer to jello first, of course, is to get rid of every bit of vibration as possible. But, yes, afterward a polarized filter helps to keep the camera focus sharper as light does cause interaction. I'm sure others would argue that that is not jello, and I have to agree.
Now, I'm not a camera guy, but I do know what I see in my experience.

Bowley, I can't answer that question, not yet experimented with an nd filter yet, but what a polarized filter does is to reduce the direct light into the lens giving the camera the best capture of true color.
This is something that I learned from my fly-fishing experience. Reduce the light reflections and you can indeed see into water. Nothing reflects light like water does.
This has taught me that if you can reduce reflections into the camera you can indeed get a better stabilization of image.

There is a draw back, as with everything, and that is low light conditions. Images will loose clarity as there is not enough light entering into the lens.
Fortunately, here in Colorado, there is not too many days that we have low light conditions to worry about.

meme

Well, the answer to jello first, of course, is to get rid of every bit of vibration as possible. But, yes, afterward a polarized filter helps to keep the camera focus sharper as light does cause interaction. I'm sure others would argue that that is not jello, and I have to agree.
Now, I'm not a camera guy, but I do know what I see in my experience.

Bowley, I can't answer that question, not yet experimented with an nd filter yet, but what a polarized filter does is to reduce the direct light into the lens giving the camera the best capture of true color.
This is something that I learned from my fly-fishing experience. Reduce the light reflections and you can indeed see into water. Nothing reflects light like water does.
This has taught me that if you can reduce reflections into the camera you can indeed get a better stabilization of image.

There is a draw back, as with everything, and that is low light conditions. Images will loose clarity as there is not enough light entering into the lens.
Fortunately, here in Colorado, there is not too many days that we have low light conditions to worry about.

Thanks for that! My experience is that with the Sony CX, i had jello without the ND Filter, and absolutely no jello with ND Filter attached in the same (strong) Light conditions.
When i check my gopro footage, there is no jello in low light conditions and lots of jello in strong light conditions, as you can see on my previous vids.
I ordered a polarized filter cause there was no ND Filter on the Market yet. Hope that will work cause i need to create some footage from the ski resorts around here.
Of course my copter has well mantained and balanced motors and props, no idea where those jello comes from...specially in 1080 p while 720 is already jello free.
Will get the filter next week and let you know.

-meme

Tomstoy2

From what I've seen of your vids, I wouldn't call that pausing effect jello. That is more a digital package loss. All these 1's and 0's get lined up into packages we call words. The words then get lined up in the signal coming into the processor. What I see is words getting lost.
This can be caused by light reflections inside the camera, it having trouble processing words to send out into the stream. Or, it can be a cause of the sd card. When running 1080p the stream is a hell of a lot larger and if the processor can not extrapolate the data stream it will reject words form the stream, so it's imperative to use the best sd card you can to collect the data to transmit.

You are on the right thought path, first control the light, then see if the effect goes away, if not try a better card. If it's still undesirable then the problem lies in the camera's program or hardware. Not all cameras are created equal, obviously. Sony uses a very proprietary system, which is why so many people hate it. I, however, have found a Sony to be a pretty solid and well thought out system. But, then again, like I said, I'm not a camera guy.

Bowley

Thanks Tom. @Tom & Meme:
I cant get my head round the filter and jello concept, really the filter should slow down the shutter speed and make it worse. or is it just taking the shutter speed out of resonance.
you cant manually set the shutter speed on a gopro so I guess this is the only way to do it. but is it just replacing jello for motion blur?

Tahoe Ed

From what I've seen of your vids, I wouldn't call that pausing effect jello. That is more a digital package loss. All these 1's and 0's get lined up into packages we call words. The words then get lined up in the signal coming into the processor. What I see is words getting lost.
This can be caused by light reflections inside the camera, it having trouble processing words to send out into the stream. Or, it can be a cause of the sd card. When running 1080p the stream is a hell of a lot larger and if the processor can not extrapolate the data stream it will reject words form the stream, so it's imperative to use the best sd card you can to collect the data to transmit.

You are on the right thought path, first control the light, then see if the effect goes away, if not try a better card. If it's still undesirable then the problem lies in the camera's program or hardware. Not all cameras are created equal, obviously. Sony uses a very proprietary system, which is why so many people hate it. I, however, have found a Sony to be a pretty solid and well thought out system. But, then again, like I said, I'm not a camera guy.

Thanks Tom. I just did some filming at 1080p 60fps and narrow view it was not spectacular video but I was impress with the quality. My Mac Book however was not. It took forever to process the video, 5 min worth, and then to upload 56 sec of that. I guess that I need a faster processor and more memory. I did upgrade the memory to 4G on the video but it seems that is not enough.

Tomstoy2

Jello and blur are two seperate things.

Jello is a shaking of the video, up and down or side to side. This is caused from vibration.

Blur is from a slow shutter speed.

In video, the shutter is open continuously. Each pixel is then written into a bit, all bits are assembled into a word, the word is then assembled into a stream. This turns into a hell of a lot of 1's and 0's, as you can imagine.

Blur is an artafact of a slow shutter when taking a picture coupled to an unstable camera.

In video mode, the shutter remains open collecting a continous stream of data. This is why a good sd card is necessary to collect as much data as possible.

The processor module then takes these packets from the stream of data and extrapolates it, accepting or rejecting each packet of data. When it rejects a packet of data, ( or word ), it then looks like the video pauses momentarily.

When light enters into the lens, it can reflect causing a bad packet, or word, that the processor can not extrapolate. Thus it rejects it.

Most processors have the ability to collect several packets and process them to give a smooth video. Loose too many packets and a stutter of the video happens.

Once again, this is not jello. Jello is caused by shaking the camera too fast for the image to stabilize.

Myself, I have a cheap mc6500pro gimbal. It is driven by linkage direct from the servos. I get shaking that is a result of the gear backlash of the servos. To compensate, I've added rubber bands to keep the gears loaded preventing the backlash slop. Works a charm.

Stuttering I've controlled by a polarized filter to keep light controlled better entering the lens and the best sd card I could find.

Bowley

I dont know whether its technically a shutter but shutter speed is a factor in digital video, its probably more accurate to refer to scan speed of the cmos sensor. I'm no photographic know all. far from it, but I have spent the night researching rolling shutter effect and elimination.
The gopro1/2 aperture is fixed at F2.8 and its the shutter speed and gain that is varied according to available light, less light slower shutter speed, more light higher shutter speed. this is why we get blurred image in low light and sharp one in good light. when the shutterspeed is high you can get that kind of 'unreal' effect because its a bit staccato so a little motion blur is not always a bad thing which is where. I guess, the filter comes in to play, slow shutter speed less jello but more blur. I guess the trick it select the right ND filter so both jello and blur are not noticable. 1.2 is one I seen recommended, but I guess it depends on the light intensity

Tomstoy2

Your understanding is correct. It rolls so fast that you can only track it with a meter. This gives it the impression of being open. it has to stop occasionally to break it into bits to be written.

SMP

A bit on/off topic here... Am considering hanging our Black under the 550. Are there any gimbals available that can be run with a stock 550 setup??

meme

A bit on/off topic here... Am considering hanging our Black under the 550. Are there any gimbals available that can be run with a stock 550 setup??
I had the 2 axis Gimbal from quadframe.com under the Stock F550. Great results for the money.
Then i mounted the MT2216 and a AV130 with RSGS, much better, but of course, lots of money spent

meme

Hey Kloner, never heard about that! Any info? Where to get the sheets?
I've paid about 50 bucks for filter and delivery and still waiting for that...
Worked on my antivibra-mount today, here the results: First 5 seconds with low gains, than higher gains: