GoPro 3

andrewrob

I'd love one but was a bit put off by the heavy barrel distortion. I've got a 550d at the moment on an 18mm lens (not taking into account the 1.6x crop factor) but was drawn to these for the 2.7k resolution/faster FPS at lower resolutions and the weight of the unit. My AV130 with the skyline in struggles to tilt up and down smoothly without juddering with the 550d in.

Hmmm just watched the preview video for the black again and it does look ok in some shots. Does 1080p and 720p look much better in terms of distortion?
Would be seriously tempted by your offer, just don't want to jump in without finding out everything first! Guess I could always stick it on ebay again.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 397
  • GPLP.jpg
    GPLP.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 265

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Tim @ Getfpv.com should have them available in his shop soon in addition to the layerlens he already sells for the previous generation GoPros.

Ken

Ah okay, sorry it was a misunderstanding the one you see above is a version i did in the CAD program and today i got the DWGs to a laser cuter and got the parts back 4 euro for all of it. I was being sarcastic about buying it somewhere were you get charged 20$ for it :)

Here are the files for anybody to cut out and if someone is really interested I will do a how to, to get it installed on the Gopro3.

Two plates 3mm the front one with the latches and 2mm the smaller back one. 4 1.6mmx 16mm wood screws to get it all together and sand off the screws at the back or get shorter ones.

View attachment 7810

DWG with Dim

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5eafbchsbvmbzm/DimGoproLP.dwg

DWG without Dim

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaq9vxz13h5uymz/GoproLP.dwg

Regards

Boris

Attachments

• GoproLPdim.jpg
    GoproLPdim.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 214

Just noticed that the composite cable isn't included in the box. Have you got one of these with it jackwragham?

Hi - yeah sorry it went pretty quickly! The distortion is no problem with the narrow field of view setting (1080 only it think), or you can record at higher res and use some after effects tools to remove the distortion (you loose a bit of res, but still stays higher than 1080).

And no it doesn't come with a composite cable, they are optional accessories.

meme

Hello all,

tested the GP3 Black edition on my Disco today, it was quite windy. I am a bit frustrated with it for now, expected less fish eye effect when shooting in 1080-50 and medium FOV.
Will try in narrow tommorow. Haven't tried in protune for now as i hav to wait for faster Micro sd`s.
Since 2 days i try to download the Manual from the Gopro Website, but no chance. Anyone has a Manual to send me?

Thanks,

meme

testing out some 2.7k as the quality looks quite good on the raw files. finally got it to render out the full 2.7k in sony vegas 12 with no problems
you can select "original" under the youtube quality to get the 2.7k

Last edited by a moderator:

meme

Yosemite, big thanks again for sending over the manual and your tips!
Nothing special, only to show how the Blacky performs on the Disco.
Setting was 1080-50p-protune. Post Stabi was added:

Last edited by a moderator:

meme

Well, i hoped for less fish eye effect when flying in windy conditions with medium setting....
Next problem is jello,specially in strong light conditions. not to much, but a lil bit. Got better results with the 9" Graups today. Will solve that last bit of jello problem using a ND Filter.
Next: Battery Lifetime. I have flown 20 minutes today and the battery was at 0, so, who gets a GP3, order some spare batteries!
Will post a vid from today in about an hour

both look great

what was the problem meme?

meme

Oh yes! A normal Flight with 8 minutes was about 7-900 mb with the Hero2, now, with protune on on the Blacky the files are about 2,5-3,2 GB :)
You'll need fast Micro sd's as well, the one i owned was not Class 10 and after 1 minute the recording stopped.
With protune off the Battery works for about 40 minutes.

the battery part is the protune being on? is it making massive files?

kloner

Aerial DP
that's pretty much what a hero2 with a new battery and that sandisk they show on the gp site for it using protune. are the non protune files pretty clean? If anything, i'd like that back....... would be enough to go black