XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Mike SF

Banned
This doesn't instill confidence. I have not bench tested mine since I 'simply' assumed that the combination of KDE motor and ESC should work.

Amerly

Hi fpmurphy,

I run the same setup as you on an hexa (with 17'' T-Motor props, 6S) and I have no sync issues ! I'm using a Gryphon Dynamics power distribution board and BEC... What voltage do you give to your SuperX IO? I go 6s direct, had some issues when using lower voltages (from BEC)

Have you extended the power distribution board to ESC wiring ?

fpmurphy

Thanks everyone! I've already sent e-mails to Xaircraft and KDE. I just thought I'd ask around to see if anyone else was having similar issues.

Hi fpmurphy,

I run the same setup as you on an hexa (with 17'' T-Motor props, 6S) and I have no sync issues ! I'm using a Gryphon Dynamics power distribution board and BEC... What voltage do you give to your SuperX IO? I go 6s direct, had some issues when using lower voltages (from BEC)

Have you extended the power distribution board to ESC wiring ?

The ESC's are connected directly to the power dist. board with 3.5mm bullets. The power wiring from the ESC to the board is the stock length on KDE ESC's (3-4 inches maybe). I'm also running the SuperX on the 6S directly. I heard there were issues when using a BEC.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! I've already sent e-mails to Xaircraft and KDE. I just thought I'd ask around to see if anyone else was having similar issues

The ESC's are connected directly to the power dist. board with 3.5mm bullets. The power wiring from the ESC to the board is the stock length on KDE ESC's (3-4 inches maybe). I'm also running the SuperX on the 6S directly. I heard there were issues when using a BEC.

You our definitely don't want to run the superx off a BEC. It wants direct power.

Bryharv

hey fpmurphy, I'm running exact same KDE setup as you and switching from A2 to possibly SuperX soon, so please post if/how you get this issue sorted. thanks!

mediaguru

Going to do some battery shopping soon. How big do you think I can go on my T960? I'm running two 5000mAh 6S 35C pulses with no problems. They are great batteries as far as I can tell. I can go with them, or perhaps go up to some 5800, 6000 or even 8000. Not sure how heavy is too heavy.

The 960 with the two 5000's and NEX5 is about 13-14 pounds AUW.

Tarot 5008/340kv motors.
40A ESC
17.5" tarot CF props

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Going to do some battery shopping soon. How big do you think I can go on my T960? I'm running two 5000mAh 6S 35C pulses with no problems. They are great batteries as far as I can tell. I can go with them, or perhaps go up to some 5800, 6000 or even 8000. Not sure how heavy is too heavy.

The 960 with the two 5000's and NEX5 is about 13-14 pounds AUW.

Tarot 5008/340kv motors.
40A ESC
17.5" tarot CF props

Do you have basic thrust and current draw specs for the motors? That should give you a pretty good idea.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Max thrust : 3.7kg with 1855 prop, 25V@26A input

6kg~10kg all-up-weight drone

I'm running a 1755 CF prop .5 inches smaller.

Wirh data that sparse it's really hard to tell. I'd say if you dropped the thrust by 300g (more complete motor data typically shows +/- 200-300g per 1" of prop), you'd get about 10kg of thrust at hover ( 50%).

Guestimate onviously sly since the data is incomplete. If you have an extra motor I'll test it for you. Just gearing up to so the testing for Bart/MRF for a few KDE and Tiger Motors. More to follow...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm running half an inch smaller.

Sorry, I read that as 17"x5 (pitch). I didn't even know they HAD half sizes! You'll have to do some voodoo math and see if you can determine what possible payload you're capable of. The 18" prop data doesn't get you exactly what you need.

Maybe try ecalc?

WayneMann

Hi guys,

Well after doing a bunch of research and asking some questions I came to the conclusion that my X Aircraft woes with my Octo were largely due to ESC settings, so I went from a PWM of 8 to 12, which is the highest setting in the Hobbywing 60a Platinum ESC. I also went from 0 timing to 22.5 degrees and those two changes made a world of difference. Looking at my flight logs my normal prop average power use for a one minute flight just hovering in no wind is roughly 55% for those four motors and the pusher motors are right at 60%. I made an aluminum tool to bolt to the motors then using a four foot long metal ruler I aligned each motor as precisely as possible yet I still have this difference.

I was unable to get the yaw stability anywhere near as stable as my Wookong machine, but in all fairness that machine has the normal motors leaning left at 3 degrees and the pusher motors leaning right at 3 degrees. So I went back and revamped my motor alignment tool for a three degree tilt and readjusted the motors on the X Aircraft machine to the same 3 degrees of tilt and Bingo. Now my X Aircraft machine is flying really well in the wind and it will be put into active duty. I still have some tweaking to do on the gains once I mount the camera mount to the machine. I have had the mount on the machine before and the video was great, but you could not fly the machine in windy weather. Right now it is at 1.0 on the altitude gain, 1.7 on fore and aft and right and left and 124% positive gain on the external for GPS stationary hover stuff and 70% for attitude mode when cruising around.

Thanks for the help with the questions I had Kloner and everyone else and if the rest of my flight tests go as expected my Wookong controller will be taking an early retirement in the next few weeks, without a benefits package I might add.

I was going to edit my other posts in this thread, but it won't allow me to edit the posts.

Wayne Mann

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

Last night...
attachment.php

I've got my gimbal and camera pretty dialed in. So that last couple of flights have been sans-camera/gimbal and just for the fun of flying. Didn't even change the gains and still flies fairly well. I'm getting 20 minutes without camera/gimbal/rails on two 5000mAh batteries.

Attachments

• DSC_4059.jpg
    DSC_4059.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 369