XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

mediaguru

I'm not running simonk. I've heard that it isn't a good idea for pancake motors like mine, so I didn't bother. Copter flies great. I'm sure about everyone out there is much better educated than me on that subject though.

fltundra

I guess what I am asking is what motor timing is everyone running with the Super X and is everyone using SimonK firmware?

Thanks

Wayne Mann
No SimonK here either.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 264

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner: Very, very, VERY cool.

mediaguru - looks like you are really coming along with that rig. whqts the gimbal/controller setup?

Michael64

Hey Kloner you do some neat stuff for sure. On your SuperX would you mind saying what gains you run on your machine and how do they differ from wind to little wind. Currently setting up and testing my Vulcan X8 Widow and this is a first with the SuperX Controller. I have flying the DJI Wookong ever since they came out and decided to try something else. Seem to work real well just feeling my way around with the gains.
Any info would be appreciated.

Michael64

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

Ok folks time for a little change of direction on my part for this thread. As I knock on wood I'll say my T960 is about 96% where I want it, other than I need to lower my gimbal a bit to get the arms out of the picture. Suggestions on spacers welcomed.

NOW it is time for me to look at getting some FPV gear on this thing. I already have an FPV camera built into my Zhaoyun gimbal. So I need TX/RX and a monitor. Suggestions welcomed. For the applications I intend to use this for, I can't see myself going beyond about 600 yards laterally and a few hundred feet up.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you can get away with 5.8 it's hard to beat the InmersionRC stuff. 600mhz transmitter (probably overkill) and Uno receiver. There are cheaper options obviously, but I bought it and plugged it in, bang! Fired right up. I went for some of the cloverleaf antennas right out of the gate - so not sure how the stock whips would have worked. Most people suggest tossing those. I found them brand new and cheap in the classifieds on another forum.

I grabbed a monitor from RMRC. Fairly cheap and again, just works. I was at a point where I really didn't need another huge learning curve, so the slightly higher price was acceptable to me.

kloner

Aerial DP
michael, i'm at 1.2 on all but altitude is 1.0, gain knob is around 20%

i like the immersion stuff too but i tend to support getfpv so i'm doing the luminier monitors,,, they got some nice cameras too but you mentioned having that

mediaguru

Here's an FPV TX/RX combo from getfpv (yes I am all for supporting USA dealers). Comes with two mushroom antenna. I will try my hardest to buy USA first, then go China if needed. http://goo.gl/SCiOoN

Or should I just double it up to 1200mw http://goo.gl/PUJrnl

So just to be clear the whole setup would require:

-Camera (already have one)
-Transmitter
-Receiver
-Monitor

Anything I'm missing or any other thoughts?

kloner

Aerial DP
I've never tried that video combo, those chineese systems like that are noisy, definately stay away from higher power

5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html

ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter

5.8GHz Mushroom Antenna Set

what is that, $20 more?

on the aircraft side, using immersion works straight wired to 2-6s.... with the chineese one you pictured needs a bec

http://www.getfpv.com/8-lumenier-lcd-fpv-monitor.html
those run on 3s, usually 2200 - 4000 mah and will power the vrx and monitor for a 2-4 hours depending which size you get.

WayneMann

Hi Kloner,

I enjoyed your Wind Tunnel video. This is the only wind tunnel I have access to and unfortunately I get to fly in these conditions all too often: https://vimeo.com/104156202 This was shot with my Wookong Octo with a mount that I built especially for the Gh4 which uses the 32 bit Alexmos board. I just down sampled the 4K file to 1080 and then encoded for Vimeo. This is basically straight out of the camera except for the listed process. The 32 bit boards are quite amazing with a good gimbal.

I am trying to get my Super X Octo to fly like this one. I made a few changes to my ESC set up on the Super X machine today. Now I just need some 15 to 20mph gusting winds to run some test.

Wayne Mann

mediaguru

I've never tried that video combo, those chineese systems like that are noisy, definately stay away from higher power

5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html

ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter

5.8GHz Mushroom Antenna Set

what is that, $20 more?

on the aircraft side, using immersion works straight wired to 2-6s.... with the chineese one you pictured needs a bec

http://www.getfpv.com/8-lumenier-lcd-fpv-monitor.html
those run on 3s, usually 2200 - 4000 mah and will power the vrx and monitor for a 2-4 hours depending which size you get.

Great thanks for all the advice. I have multiple voltages I can tap into, from 22.2 direct from the 6S to 12v to 5v. FPV and more batteries hopefully soon.

WayneMann

Another quick question. The Ultra PWM setting in the Super X controller, can that be used with other controllers like the Hobbywing 60a Platinum ESCs or is that a specific setting for X Aircraft's ESCs.

Thanks

Wayne Mann

kloner

Aerial DP
no, just theres. if you enable it you'll get a symptom like if the wires aren't plugged in, esc never see a signal, etc.

fpmurphy

Anyone running SuperX with KDE Motors/ESCs? I'm running into a sync issue that is only present when plugged into SuperX. If I connect everything to my receiver (FrSky x8r), there's no sync issue.

I'm running KDE 4014 motors, 55A ESC's, and 18" CF props. Here's a video of what is happening...

Last edited by a moderator: