XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Kilby

Got a few flights on my X8 with SuperX. (I have a small lead bar strapped to the gimbal to simulate the weight of the camera.

Flew great. used 1.2 across the board and .9 for height.

Might drop it to 1.1 we will see.

Rig flew awesome though. No complaints!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Steve, is that one of Beresfords frames?

WayneMann

Hi guys,

I have an Octo with the Super X controller that flies ok in calm conditions, but is very unstable in windy conditions compared to my other Octo which has a Wookong M for guidance. The Super X Octo has Ovroto 3520 400kv motors and Hobbywing 60amp Platinium ESCs. The ESCs do NOT have Simon K firmware and the timing is set to low. I have two dead weights that attach to the bottom of the Octo for testing, one weighing 5 pounds which I use APC 14x5.5 MR props and a 10 pound weight with APC 16x5.5 MR props. With either set up I can run the both of the flight control gains wide open and although I get some obvious shaking with the gains that high when I try to fly around or when the wind is blowing it still does not make the machine any more stable. Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks,

Wayne Mann

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneMann

I mean that I can run both the GUI gain and the gain knob turned all the way up. The AFRs in my Futaba 18 MZ for the gain knob are set to 30 and 30 as per someone else's instructions.

Wayne Mann

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I mean that I can run both the GUI gain and the gain knob turned all the way up. The AFRs in my Futaba 18 MZ for the gain knob are set to 30 and 30 as per someone else's instructions.

Wayne Mann

In my experience, if you have gains all set to full that bird should be shaking like crazy. I've never gotten mine above 1.3. Sorry, maybe someone else will chime in, or post this in the main superx thread.

WayneMann

My Octos are extremely rigid. They are not flexing rubber bands like the DJI S1000 for example. That is why I can run very high gains. I don't run the gains that high on my machines, but they will tolerate it for testing purposes.

Wayne Mann

mediaguru

I don't know how high the SX gain can go in the software. I'm around 14 pounds on a 960 hexa and they're very good at 1.2.

mediaguru

I've been testing gains and so far 1.3 to 1.4 works best. I have 15" props coming today and wanted to see how high i could go. Wayne , same boat here with rigidity ....bird doesn't get crazy on either end of the gain settings. My logs at 1.9 and 1.5 pitch and roll, height and yaw 1.0.

http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2014_08_20_060801.500_382.1.03.38

http://log.xaircraft.com/report.htm#2014_08_20_060801.500_383.1.09.10

fltundra I looked at your logs. Nice for me to have a frame of reference. Are you satisfied with your vibe levels? Mine are comparable it would seem, and my video quality seems good at this time (other than my gimbal is rolling a few degrees).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
My superx has just been moved to my most rigid frame to date (Vulcan) - but I would not have considered the last frame a rubber band either :). Although that was an H frame style - so the vibes could have been caused by that.

The tarot 680pro I had it on at one point probably could be considered "rubber bandish" and that certainly suffered from the higher gains. That frame has too much flex.

If the gains are NOT making it shake, I would think it's probably less desirable, because it would indicate less tuning capabilities for the given frame. I think iI'd rather be able to hit too far and back off, then not know whether I had enough usable gain.

kloner

Aerial DP
tundras motor outputs are spot on,,,, i get a vibe monitor span of half that.5g and average .2-.3 but it's on a clean plate. Overall now this controller and airframe takes better footage through all types of flight than the a2 on my skyjib.... especially fff

fltundra

fltundra I looked at your logs. Nice for me to have a frame of reference. Are you satisfied with your vibe levels? Mine are comparable it would seem, and my video quality seems good at this time (other than my gimbal is rolling a few degrees).

No not really because it fly's locked in at about 1.4 but jitters in fast flight and has vibes from frame in the video from my gimbal in anything more then calm wind. Video is best at 1.2, and at 1.9 you can really start to see the jitters, but know where near uncontrollable. I can strap my birds landing gear down and run up to about 97% in manual mode and not see vibes in the log any higher then .1. After many hours of testing I know most are induced in flight. Seems to be a very fine line on the gain settings depending on CG, motor alignment, and prop balance mostly.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayneMann

I guess what I am asking is what motor timing is everyone running with the Super X and is everyone using SimonK firmware?

Thanks

Wayne Mann