XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

mediaguru

Hey MediaGuru,

Could you explain what you exactly had to do in order to get you gain adjustment to work without doing random values?

If you need any FPV TX/RX readymaderc.com has a huge selection.

Thanks Again,

I set the range on the gain knob in the Taranis to -20 and +20. Changed the center point to 1530.

mediaguru

I should be getting my FPV gear this week. Any pointers or advice before I slap it on my 960? The camera is built into the Zhaoyun gimbal.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I should be getting my FPV gear this week. Any pointers or advice before I slap it on my 960? The camera is built into the Zhaoyun gimbal.

Are you starting out with monitor? Regardless , take it slow. It is an odd sensation. I use a monitor and I still felt the need to look up and lock LOS - even though nothing was going wrong. :)

im sure that subsides as you do it more - but I don't do it enough to really get used to it. Very cool though.

mediaguru

Are you starting out with monitor? Regardless , take it slow. It is an odd sensation. I use a monitor and I still felt the need to look up and lock LOS - even though nothing was going wrong. :)

im sure that subsides as you do it more - but I don't do it enough to really get used to it. Very cool though.

Yes I'll probably fly LOS, then look at the monitor to see if the bird is pointing the right way, then snap pics or enable video.

Once you get use to fly fpv it almost feel more comfortable than LOS. I run my gimbal cam and hard mounted FPV cam with a video switcher to switch between. Mostly fly through the gimbal cam when tracking moving objects. You will get use to it in no time.

Here is a job I did last week where most of the shots were at least a few hundred yards away.

What I would do when you get your FPV setup is to go out to an open field etc and practice flying FPV doing figure eights and other maneuvers. It will ease your mind a bit not having to worry about objects in the way.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

It works! Need to finish up the TX and hope to do a test flight (in a wide open area) this week.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 380

Jjjkkklll

I've been struggling with a drifting issue on a new heavy lift x8 build with a superx.

Everything runs great. Stable, smooth, low vibrations and normal black box data. The weird thing is that in ATTI mode it will randomly drift to the left (roll left). If I put it in a GPS hold and wait a few seconds, as soon as I switch to ATTI it rolls left.

Any ideas what to look for to fix this? It's driving me nuts.

This is a 44lb X8 octo.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Have you trimmed the unit out? In ATTI trim the rig using your radio’s trim. Then land and cycle the power and set your trim to 0.
I think that memorizes the trim setting and should stifle the drift.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Finally finished “Evil Bastard 2”

I have some sail boats to chase this spring and summer in higher winds for longer flight durations, SO BIG ASS GoPro Quad!
Flew yesterday, ROCK SOLID... Stupid stable and GPS hold is like having a stick with a camera on it.

20 -35 min flight times with 6000 - 10000mHa 6S packs.
U5 wanna be motors with 50 amp Spyder ESC’s 15/5” props...
Xcam 3 axis 360deg gimbal 1 or 2 man operation, Tarot retracts...

Dude rules!
View attachment 22579

Attachments

• Evil Bastard 2.jpg
    Evil Bastard 2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 387

Jjjkkklll

Have you trimmed the unit out? In ATTI trim the rig using your radio’s trim. Then land and cycle the power and set your trim to 0.
I think that memorizes the trim setting and should stifle the drift.

No, I haven't tried that. I assumed using trim was a no-no like with Dji controllers.

Are you certain using radio trim won't swcrew anything up?

And just so I'm clear, are you saying change radio trim, then land and power off the SuperX, then set radio trim back to zero, then power on SuperX again?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think if you set the radio knob back to zero, it will read that next time it powers up unless you disable that channel in your radio.

Using the trim knob will definitely NOT mess you up. It actually is completely helpful for fine tuning based on the current payload/weather. I have had really good luck using it based on the conditions.

Long ago Kloner suggested I tune (GUI) based on how the MR responds based on having the knob set to +20% as a default. That is how I've done it since, and it really seems to work well.

The trick is making sure the knob is set up correctly. There are issues with certain radios having the potentiometer throw the tuning as described in the manual. For instance: Taranis needs the end points lowered substantially to avoid it glitching. I currently have it set so that the knob effects about -100 to +100 if I remember correctly. I never really need negative tuning.

Sleepy: that quad looks amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
I think some clarification is needed here.
The "trim" that is being referred to here is actually "remote gain". Nearly all FC now have the ability to connect a RX channel to the FC and use the TX (usually a channel connected to a knob or slider) to remotely adjust the Basic or ATT gains while flying to achieve a good aircraft "tune". Additionally, this will allow remote control of basic and/or ATT settings to allow on the fly adjustments as needed for conditions, such as a very windy day. I do not believe anyone here is suggesting that you use the "trim" or "sub-trim" of a TX channel.
Many set "endpoints" to the remote channel being used to remotely control the FC gains.... this is what Moto above is describing.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep. Sorry about that, I should have been more clear.

The radio knob used to tune is for gain (remote gain) - allowing a finer tuning than achieved with the GUI alone, and for the superx shows up in black box data as the G channel. The Xaircraft manual discusses this in the initial setup for channel assignments.

Not to be confused with any sub-trim or trim on the radio.

Thanks for clarifying.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
From the manual:
RC Gain: If G input on IO module is connected, you can use a knob on radio to adjust roll and
pitch attitude gain. You can adjust 50%~ 200% gains on the basic gain. If it’s still not enough
tuned when the knob is at max./min. position, then go to adjust Basic Gain on software.

In reality all that is happening is the sensitivity of the hardware (sensors) controlling roll and pitch are effected. nothing to do with Yaw.

X

Jjjkkklll

I was only talking about radio trim. Not remote gain. No idea where that came from.

No matter how I tune it with remote gain (or gui gain) it still drifts left.

I tried what SleepyC recommended (radio trim right +5, power down SuperX, radio trim back to neutral, repower SuperX) and it didn't fix it. Damn thing pulls left for no reason. Really frustrating.

Any other tips?

fltundra

I was only talking about radio trim. Not remote gain. No idea where that came from.

No matter how I tune it with remote gain (or gui gain) it still drifts left.

I tried what SleepyC recommended (radio trim right +5, power down SuperX, radio trim back to neutral, repower SuperX) and it didn't fix it. Damn thing pulls left for no reason. Really frustrating.

Any other tips?
Post up a log file.