XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Great to hear everything is working well and obviously well enough to get that amazing shot above!

always nice to have a few flights just for fun, and not stressing the perfect footage etc.

ary

Great shot
Last night...
attachment.php

I've got my gimbal and camera pretty dialed in. So that last couple of flights have been sans-camera/gimbal and just for the fun of flying. Didn't even change the gains and still flies fairly well. I'm getting 20 minutes without camera/gimbal/rails on two 5000mAh batteries.

Hey MediaGuru,

I was wondering if you could help me out, just built up my vulcan X8 heavy lifter and I had a question regarding the Taranis + SuperX + Hobbywing Escs. Iv heard of sync issues and was curious if you got your setup to sync by setting your throttle endpoints to -89 and 100 on the taranis? After you set endpoints and hooked the escs up to the SuperX did you move your throttle end points back to -100 100?

Thanks Again and Look forward to hearing back.

mediaguru

Hey MediaGuru,

I was wondering if you could help me out, just built up my vulcan X8 heavy lifter and I had a question regarding the Taranis + SuperX + Hobbywing Escs. Iv heard of sync issues and was curious if you got your setup to sync by setting your throttle endpoints to -89 and 100 on the taranis? After you set endpoints and hooked the escs up to the SuperX did you move your throttle end points back to -100 100?

Thanks Again and Look forward to hearing back.

Yes that is exactly what I did. I had also read that another person used -97 and 97. I tried both and both worked. Then put the end points back to -100 100. You may also run into confusion on the gain knob, which if left at default is at something like -18% and moving it either direction results in strange numbers. You can search this forum for our solutions.

fltundra

Yes that is exactly what I did. I had also read that another person used -97 and 97. I tried both and both worked. Then put the end points back to -100 100. You may also run into confusion on the gain knob, which if left at default is at something like -18% and moving it either direction results in strange numbers. You can search this forum for our solutions.
Regarding the gain settings. Was a posting way back that suggested using -30 to +30 on the limits. Never worked for me! I had my GUI gain all the way to 2.0 on roll and pitch, and could never get to the point of oscillations. I'm now running the gain knob back at -100 to +100 with around a +15 offset and just ignore the crazy numbers in the log file. Now i actually have gain to play with and at about 3 o'clock + i can get to the point of over gain at 1.2 setting in the GUI, which was impossible with the lowered limits.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I wonder if these different results are from the QC being off in the pot. I messed quite a bit with my limit settings before I finally stumbled upon what works for me. I think a little trial and error will get you there - but perhaps each taranis is slightly different?

just a thought...

fltundra

I wonder if these different results are from the QC being off in the pot. I messed quite a bit with my limit settings before I finally stumbled upon what works for me. I think a little trial and error will get you there - but perhaps each taranis is slightly different?

just a thought...
I wasted way to much to time with the gain knob! I tried everything for weeks and -100 to +100 solved all my issues as far as gain is concerned. I can get the same results regardless if it's a taranis, or a futaba, or any other radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I wasted way to much to time with the gain knob! I tried everything for weeks and -100 to +100 solved all my issues as far as gain is concerned.

I didn't spend THAT much time - but it was certainly annoying. I had the same results, but with settings/values closer to the ones shown earlier in the thread. That's what makes me think that the potentiometer could be different on various units.

I have good gain control now - but it could have been easier to get there! :)

Mike SF

Banned
I leave my gain knob at around 20% and just use the main gains in the software for tuning.

Mediaguru: that's a fantastic photo with the large moon. Love it!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I leave my gain knob at around 20% and just use the main gains in the software for tuning.

I do the same. I'll mess with it just a bit of the wind is up etc. But mostly that's been working for me.

mediaguru

I had to do quite a dance to get my gain knob to default at 0. If someone really needs the numbers let me know and I'll look it up.

Thanks for the comments on the photo Mike SF!

mediaguru

My T960 is grounded for the moment as I'm working on some small improvements.

1. I've had 3-4 occasions where I got a solid light during flight, looked white but might be yellow. I understand that to be GPS interference. My GPS is not very high, just slightly above the two batteries. Perhaps that's the cause. I have a GPS tower to put on which just arrived.

2. I want to do something better for connecting my two batteries in parallel. Currently I have a parallel Y EC5 cable, which then attaches to an EC5 wire coming from my power distribution board. There are many fail points with that setup. I'm hoping to somehow mount an EC5 connector on the frame near each battery so that I don't need to pull on one side to pull the cable out. Any thoughts? I'm thinking that I'll run each EC5 directly to the PDB. That way if one side fails entirely, the other side will still have power enough to land.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think the 2 independent connector/runs to the PDB is the safest way, for the exact reason you describe. Failure on one side should leave you one battery to at least get safely on the ground...hopefully :)

mediaguru

I think the 2 independent connector/runs to the PDB is the safest way, for the exact reason you describe. Failure on one side should leave you one battery to at least get safely on the ground...hopefully :)

Thanks for the confirmation. Any thoughts on making a "plug" attached to the frame? Then to power up you just plug the battery into the plug, instead of a wire with a plug dangling off the frame.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the confirmation. Any thoughts on making a "plug" attached to the frame? Then to power up you just plug the battery into the plug, instead of a wire with a plug dangling off the frame.

I suppose that you could glue+zip tie a connector to the frame - but you'd probably have to drill holes to secure it well. I think if you make sure you solder/crimp the connector well, it would be more secure than messing with all that hassle of getting the connector "permanently" onto the frame , IMHO.

i also suffer from various lengths on my battery's leads - so having a little play from the extension from the PDB is ok for me.

mediaguru

I was searching for an FPV post and came across what I had to do for my G knob to work: I set my range to -20 and +20 and the center at 1530.

mediaguru

I've never tried that video combo, those chineese systems like that are noisy, definately stay away from higher power

5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html

ImmersionRC 5.8GHz 600mw Audio / Video Transmitter

5.8GHz Mushroom Antenna Set

what is that, $20 more?

on the aircraft side, using immersion works straight wired to 2-6s.... with the chineese one you pictured needs a bec

http://www.getfpv.com/8-lumenier-lcd-fpv-monitor.html
those run on 3s, usually 2200 - 4000 mah and will power the vrx and monitor for a 2-4 hours depending which size you get.

Ok kloner I'm back at this post, purchasing my first FPV stuff now! Unfortunately that receiver is out of stock. How about this one?

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-fpv-av-receiver-rc832.html

The antennae were out of stock too, so I got these instead. Will these work?:

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8-ghz-spironet-antenna-set-rpsma.html

I was searching for an FPV post and came across what I had to do for my G knob to work: I set my range to -20 and +20 and the center at 1530.

Hey MediaGuru,

Could you explain what you exactly had to do in order to get you gain adjustment to work without doing random values?

If you need any FPV TX/RX readymaderc.com has a huge selection.

Thanks Again,