Scratchbuilt Quadrotor

Toymaker

Crashologist
Well my landing gear looked good but needed a little reinforcement. I'm remaking it now. This time 10 layers 5oz carbon the last version was 7 layers. I have broken the rail once and the arm another. Both were my fault causing gravity to overpower the flight capabilities.. While the epoxy cures I'm adding Exponential to Roll, Yaw, and Pitch to the program. It's way too sensitive to control. I'm starting with 50% to see if that helps :)

Toymaker

Crashologist
The new landing rear works great :) Tested it tonight. This time when I molded it I used the same form, but 10 layers of CF. I also cut them the same width instead of thinning it near the runners. The last set broke right at the thinnest point.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I'm attempting to make some carbon fiber angle "iron" for mounting some lights. The layup went well I hope it turns out. The front is going to have at least (3) 1/2 watt LED's and the rear 10 standard superbright amber led's. I'd also like to put some red and green singles at the end of each arm on the port and starboard sides. I forgot to get some 24 AWG wire from work so it's not going to be done tis weekend though...:(

Toymaker

Crashologist
I ran 4 packs through it today!! I've tweaked the PID's and got it flying nicely! For the last battery charge I took the quad to the nearby park and opened it up a bit! It's much easier than contending with the small yard and yard obstacles. I had it up to about 100 ft and about 100 yards away comfortably. I'm still not able to fly anything other than tail toward me but that will come with time. I still have to fine tune the PID's a little When slowing from a decent there is still a little shudder that I need to take care of.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I have failed on my first attempt at lighting. The carbon angle turned out nice but I clipped most of the length off the leads off of the 1/2 watt LED's. This caused them to overheat when soldering them :( So now I have to order more.. Ugg.. I think I'll make a circuit board on my next attempt to keep the heat down. Live and learn....

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have failed on my first attempt at lighting. The carbon angle turned out nice but I clipped most of the length off the leads off of the 1/2 watt LED's. This caused them to overheat when soldering them :( So now I have to order more.. Ugg.. I think I'll make a circuit board on my next attempt to keep the heat down. Live and learn....

Make sure you take I to account what you need to power them (you probably have already). They can suck juice and shorten Iggy times, and often people run them off a separate small battery. What voltage do they run on?

Toymaker

Crashologist
I've already checked the current draw. They are only using 180 MA. So it's not much. I'm expecting a %5 loss of flight time. Right now I'm estimating my flight time at 12 mins, so about 36 seconds shorter flight with the lights on. I'm using a spare channel to control them so I can turn them on and off at will.

Toymaker

Crashologist
The quad copter has a couple hours flight time on it now :) Today was a bit on the windy side 15- 20 mph with some gusts, but I was still able to get some hovering in. I'm still tweaking a bit. I added some head lights and tail lights today. They look cool and make it much easier to see orientation! The LED's are 1/2 watt white. I glued a #14 stainless finish washer around them to look like headlights.
Lights3.JPG

Toymaker

Crashologist
The headlights aren't quite painfully bright but close :) BTW: I know I have green props on opposite corners instead of just in front or back. I only bought the clockwise ones, and I'm out of black.
BTWII: This frame has been taking quite the beating while I learn how to fly. Props and landing gear are the damage so far. I'm still expecting worse....
Lights2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Looking good. The more help you have with orientation the better, especially as you become more comfortable with the flying and you allow yourself more and more distance :)

what kind of props are you using? Plastic? You might want to think about grabbing some cheaper, but decent props. Shame to see that thing tumble from the sky because one snapped mid-air.

Toymaker

Crashologist
They are plastic props. I will most definitely switch to better ones as soon as I slow down on the ground, wall, tree, and rock bashing....LOL

Toymaker

Crashologist
I'm averaging a little over ten minutes with the lights on per charge using 3300 3s batteries. :) That is long enough for now. LOL I've actually reduced my crash frequency some too. Every other or every third battery charge I crash. No major damage lately.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm averaging a little over ten minutes with the lights on per charge using 3300 3s batteries. :) That is long enough for now. LOL I've actually reduced my crash frequency some too. Every other or every third battery charge I crash. No major damage lately.

Now that you have more flight time - what's causing crash? Just disorientation? Or is there something up with the FC or MR??

Toymaker

Crashologist
Now that you have more flight time - what's causing crash? Just disorientation? Or is there something up with the FC or MR??
LOL Operator Error!!!! Disorientation is one thing! I haven't flown aircraft in a couple years either is another.. Not flying in adequate area's is another... flying in 20 mph winds.. Now I'm just making excuses :)
Mostly operator error!

Toymaker

Crashologist
I'm getting a little better. Inside is much easier than outside, especially when there's room.

Last edited by a moderator: