Scratchbuilt Quadrotor

Toymaker

Crashologist
Here's another phone video in the shop. 30' ceilings and plenty of space. I think I'll be flying here more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toymaker

Crashologist
The Rudder control is acting up a bit... Time to tear into it. I'm guessing a loose connection somewhere...
Nothing is loose. When I do a yaw movement to the right it moves left a little when I do a Left yaw movement it moves Left. It almost seems like the Accerometers lost calbration. Is that possible? It's a Multiwii Pro2.0 from Witespyquads.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I flew again today same issues after I unplugged and reconnected everything. I hooked up my laptop and looked at the setup I couldn't find anything obvious in the config. I check the sensor travels and they looked fine. Then I checked the Radio signals to see how that looked. Full stroke on all the channels was fine. I did notice the yaw was flat in the middle...Doh...After checking the radio the expo was at 100% not zero... I went the wrong way with the setting.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I flew again today same issues after I unplugged and reconnected everything. I hooked up my laptop and looked at the setup I couldn't find anything obvious in the config. I check the sensor travels and they looked fine. Then I checked the Radio signals to see how that looked. Full stroke on all the channels was fine. I did notice the yaw was flat in the middle...Doh...After checking the radio the expo was at 100% not zero... I went the wrong way with the setting.

Should work better now :)

Toymaker

Crashologist
I crashed hard into a wall then bounced off the floor from 12'. Only two broken blades :) I was flying away from myself indoors about 200' away indoors in the high bay at work. OOps...

Toymaker

Crashologist
I think what is helping with the unintentional impacts is that the clamping method of the tube allows things to swivel a bit instead of being too rigid and breaking. The HDPE base clamps and motor mounts are quite slippery and can slide a bit.
It's a nice feature even though I didn't really plan on that happening in the design phase. Sometimes things work out!

jbrumberg

You put a lot of thought into your chassis design. It was structurally sound to begin with. The tube clamping method was a logical design.

Toymaker

Crashologist
The whole fling nose in is eluding me. I can hover nose in but flying with any accuracy is not coming to me as easy as I thought. Any tricks or suggestions? I'm not to the point of frustration yet. I've tried to fly at odd angles. as long as the nose is mostly away I'm fine. as soon as I get sideways or nose in all I can do safely is hover. I'm thinking my main problem is flying in a confined space. I might need to get out in a large field where I have some space to screw up instead of crash into something.. Any other ideas?

jbrumberg

Practice squares and circles left side in and right side in and as comfort builds increase the size. Then try this with nose in. You will find that you favor one side that is natural. Then start practicing the alphabet left side in, then right side in, then nose in. I was crazy before I started doing this. This practicing put me far, far over the edge, but my orientation got better. Trust me I still have to practice. I have now not flown for so long due to weather and out of state aging parent issues that when I finally get home again I will be doing some serious practicing on my trainers for awhile to get my bearings again. Figure 8's and banked turns are next. I am still working on those in the various orientations.. The practice gets old, but at some point you will notice things start to seem more automatic, more "natural". Then you know that you are getting "close". Good luck. It gets harder as one gets older. I am 62.

I have to take breaks from all the practicing at regular intervals. (Research backs me up on the training scheduling too.) I'll run a battery training take a break and just fly around doing simple easy circuits for the next battery or two. When I get tired or just start screwing up that's it for the day. Pushing it and fatigue leads to crashing. I try to make games out of some of the circuits. It needs to be fun.

I did buy a Traxxas Latrax Alias the other day out of shear desperation and RC withdrawal, but could only get one battery (6 -11 minutes flight time), but some flying is better than no flying. I even bought a short term 3 month AMA insurance policy to cover me just in case and found a place to fly today.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I was playing with my video camera and recorded about 15 minutes of video. The wind was blowing a bit (gusty) so it was hard to get a nice smooth flight path. Out of 15 minutes of video I got about 30 seconds of decent quality video..lol
It's kind of fun doing close passes to the camera I'll have to try again:)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I was playing with my video camera and recorded about 15 minutes of video. The wind was blowing a bit (gusty) so it was hard to get a nice smooth flight path. Out of 15 minutes of video I got about 30 seconds of decent quality video..lol
It's kind of fun doing close passes to the camera I'll have to try again:)

You're certainly getting better at flying - no more crashes indoors :)

Toymaker

Crashologist
You're certainly getting better at flying - no more crashes indoors :)
Can you see I put white tape on the front arms and White pads on the landing gear runners! That helps a whole lot with orientation!
I can do large slightly banked circles in both directions if I really concentrate. If I fly a couple packs a day I think it will become more natural.
I've been flying my wings a bit too, but those are just bank and yank with vertical power capability. I don't know if this is helping or hurting at all yet.
I'm asking for a flight sim for Father's day.. :) I haven't decided on one yet though...

jbrumberg

I put international orange/yellow tape on my front and reflective silver in the back of my dome with the sides having corresponding fore and aft taping. It does help with orientation even if it is ugly. I found that I could not visually pick up the colored tape on my landing gear insulation when head in or tail in. Taping the dome helped.

Toymaker

Crashologist
Ok, I'm stuck.. I can't seem to setup fail safe to work properly..at all. I think I'm just missing how it works. I have a Witespy multiwii 2.0, running multiwii2.3 firmware. I have a Turnigy 9XR transmitter with a Frsky tx module and Frsky V8FR-II receiver. I have modified the multiwii 2.3 sketch so that Failsafe is enabled. It seems like I need to do something with the radio because the signals to the flight control board do not change at all if the transmitter is turned off. This means the flight control board thinks everything is fine. :(
I also can't change the fail safe throttle level in the gui.

So how should this thing work? what should the receiver do when it loses signal?

Edit: The whole failsafe functionality is done in the radio alone. It confused me having the failsafe settings in the control board firmware.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ok, I'm stuck.. I can't seem to setup fail safe to work properly..at all. I think I'm just missing how it works. I have a Witespy multiwii 2.0, running multiwii2.3 firmware. I have a Turnigy 9XR transmitter with a Frsky tx module and Frsky V8FR-II receiver. I have modified the multiwii 2.3 sketch so that Failsafe is enabled. It seems like I need to do something with the radio because the signals to the flight control board do not change at all if the transmitter is turned off. This means the flight control board thinks everything is fine. :(
I also can't change the fail safe throttle level in the gui.

So how should this thing work? what should the receiver do when it loses signal?

Edit: The whole failsafe functionality is done in the radio alone. It confused me having the failsafe settings in the control board firmware.

you our definitely need to set it up through the radio. There is a way to set up a stick configuration on a switch via the multiwii GUI - so that you can do return to home. But it's not the same as fail safe.

Toymaker

Crashologist
Failsafe works!!! I just checked it out at lunch. It's falling a little fast but at least it's falling and not headed where ever it was last pointed!! Especially not up at full throttle on a fresh set of batteries!!!LOL
That....Would....Suck!!!!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's great! It's a relief, right?

if you're setting it up to lower (based on a throttle position) you can just determine your hover throttle level and put the fail safe to be just a hair below that.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I'm going to have to play with that level a little bit. I'm thinking after I get my Bluetooth adapter I'll hover it while watching the throttle level in the GUI and make it just a bit below that level.