Scratchbuilt Quadrotor

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've never seen female ends with an angle built in. Where'd you get them??? Great idea!

this quad is probably the tightest looking build I've seen - pro or otherwise. If you could get those white parts to be black you'd be almost stealth :). I like the white too though. Nice offset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toymaker

Crashologist
All black is pretty easy to do. All I need to do is put black shrink tube on the ESC's, make new blocks for the frame and motor mounts, and swap out the stand off's. Black wasn't my original intent but I think it would look good. I have about 50 lbs of the white UHMW so that's what I used. I need to keep my eyes open at work to see if I can find some black. I've got some plans for the white motor mounts. I'm not going to give any details until I see if it works.. :)

Toymaker

Crashologist
I was at work today and I walked past the IT dept. They had a pile of monitor packing material and got an idea. So I grabbed some and brought it home. I thought it would make a nice set of landing gear pads. I like the pool noodle idea but have never seen any with a small hole in the middle. I have a bunch of hole saws I tested it and it cut a nice circle with a 1/4" hole in the middle :) Perfect for what I wanted. If fits nice and tight on .404 arrow shaft landing runners! IT took me no more than 5 minutes to make 6 of these. Including getting the tools out! best of all they were free and I have and endless supply from work!
landingGearPadsIII.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

Nice. I have read reports from arts and craft sites that give me the impression that there are small holed pool noodles, but I have yet to see one.

Almost there.

Toymaker

Crashologist
Nice. I have read reports from arts and craft sites that give me the impression that there are small holed pool noodles, but I have yet to see one.

Almost there.

I should clarify also that pool noodles are a little hard to find this time of year in Michigan with over a foot of snow still on the ground :)

Toymaker

Crashologist
All the electronics showed up. I've had some issues though....The Turnigy 9XR transmitter, the FrSky Trans module, and the FrSky receiver seem to work fine. The Witespy MultiWiipro2 seems to work but only 3 of the 4 ESC's work. It appears as though one of them was damaged somehow. One of the solder pads has lifted off of the circuit board...ARGH now to wait three weeks again for an ESC.. I'll be ordering a few just in case.

jbrumberg

I am sorry to hear about that ESC. A 3 week wait at this point, when you are now so close is truly proof that the RC gods are sadomasochistic. There are just too many examples of things like this happening. Hang in there.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I just ordered some ESCs from HK USA warehouse 2 days ago and they are slated for delivery tomorrow. Not bad. I think ESCs are one of the few things you can regularly get domestically. Sometimes they are slightly more pricey if they've been pre- flashed with SimonK.

I cant wait to see this build in the air!

Toymaker

Crashologist
The last ESC's I ordered from Witespy was just shy of three weeks... They said they were busy and shipping time would be shorter soon...Hopefully now is "soon" :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The last ESC's I ordered from Witespy was just shy of three weeks... They said they were busy and shipping time would be shorter soon...Hopefully now is "soon" :)

Oh boy. He is WAY backed up. If they are the flashed type - it may be a while. That sucks. I almost hit order from him for the ESCs I need now - but HK USA had them in stock, and I can flash them myself. Love his products, hate the wait!

Toymaker

Crashologist
Witespy got their stuff together and have made some headway on their backlog it appears! My new ESC's are being shipped today :)
While waiting for this I have been scratching my head trying to think of what to use for a nice looking, cheap, and lightweight protective cover for the flight controller.
I think I've come up with a solution!
View attachment 16818
It is an 8" acrylic globe for a light fixture. I have accidentally bounced these off of concrete before with only scratches. I'm looking at only using a small portion for a dome over the top. I have enough material from one globe to make three covers. The whole thing is $12.50 at Home Depot. I'll post pics as I get it more complete.

Attachments

• 7536_f745caf38ee2f51e4464eac402efd3cbbff77c8e_original_x_323_1326848460.jpg
    7536_f745caf38ee2f51e4464eac402efd3cbbff77c8e_original_x_323_1326848460.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 296

Toymaker

Crashologist
All of my ESC's have the same issue although three of them are working fine. The center solder pad has come loose from the board. The only thing I can think of is too much heat when soldering. I used 3.5mm connectors right on the board. I have epoxied them all on now. Hopefully that will be the last of the problems. I'm still waiting on the replacements. It's looking like next week. I looked back at the last ones. It took 8 days to deliver them from Florida. I still need to make some brackets for the lid and some way to mount the battery.

Toymaker

Crashologist
I soldered the connectors to the solder pads, but the center pad lifted slightly. The center connectors wiggled when I plugged/unplugged the motor leads in. I was afraid they'd tear the traces off the circuit board when connecting or disconnecting them or a crash. All the ESC's had the same issue. Always the center solder pad.