Lumix GH4

blades

??? I'm just bought one from Wex and they have confirmed Tuesday delivery. try again

#1'm - back to my Black Country daze :) I think I meant to say that I've just bought one from Wex :02.47-tranquillity:

website still shows out of stock and awaiting delivery for me?

and bo££ocks! my status has changed from packing to "to be confirmed" so I did get caught in their system glitch <mostly pee'd off>

kloner

Aerial DP
over the weekend we were camping and a little jake came into camp. he stayed 50 -60 yards out but i shot him with the 100-300 w/ ios at full zoom handheld and got this. little color lacking but man is it clear in 4k.... i really want one of them hdmi recorders now, the lack of color in 4k is starting to annoy me a bit

was surprised how well it held together being in my hands at such a focal length

some 4k aerial stress tests....

time lapse

Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

I haven't built a gimbel yet for the GH4 so obviously I haven;t flown it, but I've used it twice just to see how well it works.

This first video was shot when I literally took the camera out of the box, surfed the menus just long enough to switch to 4K, everything else is default. This was shot entirely hand held, I wanted to see how well the IOS worked on the 14-45 lens. Its kind of slow, we had a couple of students from Honduras so I shot part of their lesson.

This second video I changed to CineD, added zebras to see how helpful they are with exposure but for the most part still default settings. I agree with Kloner, in 4K the color is a little thin. I did a quickie correction in Resolve but my first impressions is that this is a fun camera to use and the 4K has a lot of potential.

Sorry this was shot when my wife and I went to breakfast, its pretty boring...

Make sure you choose 720P in the Youtube settings. I can't figure out how to make it default to that when the video is embedded.

kloner

Aerial DP
is that bergen or airstar?

mine were all cine-d too.... 24p

The sd cards will be a limiter on how much color your gonna get to the media.... at least for now

great videos. I loved the second one, it seemed very natural in feel.

on another note, I've just had an email from Wex advising me that they have shipped my unit and it's being delivered tomorrow - go figure!

Av8Chuck

Its probably not much comfort but its worth the wait. At least you'll get it soon.

That was an Airstar Mongoose. 4K's a bit of a pain to work with in post, it would be great to have a recorder that captured directly in ProRes 4:2:2, 10bit would be nice. But I imagine these will be pretty pricey and probably too big and heavy to fly. The only device I've seen in person was built into a 7 inch monitor.

Quinton

Its probably not much comfort but its worth the wait. At least you'll get it soon.

That was an Airstar Mongoose. 4K's a bit of a pain to work with in post, it would be great to have a recorder that captured directly in ProRes 4:2:2, 10bit would be nice. But I imagine these will be pretty pricey and probably too big and heavy to fly. The only device I've seen in person was built into a 7 inch monitor.

http://www.atomos.com/ninja-star/ if its only HD you want, light enough to fly extremely cheap.

Av8Chuck

Would you fly that thing?

The GH4 has the same limitations as all the other DSLR's, 4:2:0 codecs, but with the right lens, something a little brighter with a bit more contrast, you can color correct it and get some pretty pleasing results. I just shot this with the "kit" lens, I also have the T2.1 12mm Rokinon Cine Lens but I haven't tried it yet. Definitely needs some ND and probably a graduated filter.

By the time it all gets to HD I still like the look of the 5D3 but that probably has more to do with the Canon lenses I have and that I've been using the 5D3 for a couple of years. I really like how this camera feels, the added video tools, Zebra's and peaking etc.. I'm sure as I learn more about using it I'll like it more.

I was very impressed with its performance right out of the box. I had buyers remorse the first time I shot video with the 5D3, but after figuring out how to shoot with it I'm glad I have it.

For the clients I have I think this camera will more than adequate for a couple of years. At least that's what I'm hoping..

kloner

Aerial DP
We fly epics on the same rig.... so hell yea

the rokinon is pretty good on gh3, haven't messed with it much on gh4 but it does help alot. good filters too. it's alot sharper