Lumix GH4

Quinton

We have conection with the VTX when playback on 576p so I gues that the hardwear is all good, the only problema is when I set the camera to 1080, then it doesnt work, not even on the playback mode,we only get thesignal through with 480 0r 576, anything else wont work...(excuse my spelling..)

Not sure then TBH
What monitor and video transmitter are you using, it may just be a setting in your monitor and not a prob with the camera?

Yaar:upset:..
The TV its a cheap I-joy and a ihobbies 5,8vtx. However, Ive tried on several other more modern tv and no result. I think that everything is pointing down to the converter...
Thanks anyways Quinton!!I will post here if any progress!

kloner

Aerial DP
it sounds lke your using the preview output on the micro usb, not the hdmi output?

My gh4 had to go back for the hdmi output came apart inside the body and quit working, but u until it did i had to plug/unplug/plug the hdmi into the camera and every once in a while it would take and turn on

those hdmi2av used to have a nice color bar out when they didn't have a signal so you could tell what it was, recently they took all that away.

Hi Kloner,
We´re using the HDMI output from the camera, I think it works cause if I plug the HDMI straight in to the TV HDMI there is LIVE signal.
The problem ocurs when I set it through the HDMI2AV converter, then the only thing I can view is playback at 480 and 576, if I get it on 1080 playback the signal drops.
Confuseld...

kloner

Aerial DP
look at he output frequency setting in the cam, try that 59.98hz instead of the 24 one..... I've had a problem with a certain vendor hdmi2av and the 24p mode... after that try a different converter

you have 5v into the converter?

Last edited by a moderator:

We´ve tried 59/50/24 hz and none work...Im going to try and het one first thing tomorrow but the problm is wich and where? I live in Mallorca,Spain..

Vortex

look at he output frequency setting in the cam, try that 59.98hz instead of the 24 one..... I've had a problem with a certain vendor hdmi2av and the 24p mode... after that try a different converter

you have 5v into the converter?

Kloner, I am running these converters and don't have them externally powered, the converter is supplied from the GH4 HDMI. It does drag the camera battery down a little quicker than without it but it is a whole lot more simple.

kloner

Aerial DP
mine don't work without power.... they did with a nex but not with this.....

but then again my cameras in the shop for a broken hdmi. even then, i'd see it back feeding power to the immersion vtx when the camera is on. with an immersion vtx the 5v output is in the same pin row as video in, ground so it's just a third wire. mine all look like the freefly/kopterwork with a single servo wire/plug coming off the pcb

jfro

Aerial Fun
mine don't work without power.... they did with a nex but not with this.....

But then again my cameras in the shop for a broken hdmi. even then, i'd see it back feeding power to the immersion vtx when the camera is on. with an immersion vtx the 5v output is in the same pin row as video in, ground so it's just a third wire. mine all look like the freefly/kopterwork with a single servo wire/plug coming off the pcb

I do not have external power to either of my HDMI converter for my gh3 & gh4. HDMI converter get's it's power from the cable. My gh2 powers it also.

PMaughan

I've bought a few of these converters from different shops and while they all look the same they're not. Some need power, some don't, some output bars on no signal, some have the PAL NTSC switch one way or the other. Seems a bit like pot luck which you get...

Currently only managing to get the GH4 to see the converter if it's outputting at 60hz while a RED and Nex output 50hz to them no problem, so I'll buy a few more and see what I get!

Pete

Vortex

I've connected up 5.0v external power to the converter board now and it seems to be a lot more reliable than when it was powered from the camera. I have not used it enough to say if has fixed the problem where the board would not convert every time when the camera was set to 50p but it seems to be working fine now. Surprising it would always work when the camera was set to 24p.

scotth

I've bought a few of these converters from different shops and while they all look the same they're not. Some need power, some don't, some output bars on no signal, some have the PAL NTSC switch one way or the other. Seems a bit like pot luck which you get...

Currently only managing to get the GH4 to see the converter if it's outputting at 60hz while a RED and Nex output 50hz to them no problem, so I'll buy a few more and see what I get!

Pete

I bought one from Aerial Pixels, and when I sent GH4 23.98 to it (downconverted to 1080P) the image was zoomed in. In order to get it to look correct, I first set the camera to 29.97 then plugged in the converter. After I got a signal I switched back to 23.98 and the size was correct. Kind of a pain but it worked. Did not try 50p.

As an aside, I've had a rotten time with the Z15-GH4 outputting analog video after updating to 1.18. In 1.14 I had to use the same trick.. start in 29.97 and let it handshake, then switch to 23.98. With 1.18 I'm SOL.

Hey Guys just wanted to share a little project I worked on. This was all done with the GH4 in 4k down converted to 1080. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Chuck, yea it was a fun project to work on. This is actually a little town called Nevada City, CA its around 45 minutes from Truckee. If you haven't checked it out it is definitely worth it.