British MR fliers UNITE

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
After what seems to becoming a media frenzy over MR's and the stuff like was on country file, one show and the gatget show it has made me think about starting a British sorry UK association of responsible/ professional MR fliers. There is the UAV one but its mainly winged stuff. I could approach them to see if I could run a MR wing (pardon the pun) of it.

Any UK guys on here interested?

Dave

plingboot

i think this is a great idea as theres a few issues which probably need some representation from and for the 'hobby' fliers who are also carrying AP gear.

this body needs to be able to offer a pr voice to the media to prevent scaremongering and a instead offer balanced view, though they (the media) might not 'get' building/flying AP drones for enjoyment, it appears they need a dark side to it all.

Macsgrafs

I'm interested Dave. It was the one show I had to turn down during December 2010, due to my heli suffering with vibro problems...hence why I'm here now ;)

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Anyone else?.. I have strived all my life to things as professionally as I can.. my concern in the UK is that if there is no voice there will be problems 6 months down the line as this MR thing explodes which I believe it will with the new and emerging technology..

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have posted this on another thread but thought it would be more appropriate here so if you have already read this my apologies for double posting..

To get into this game professionally takes time patience and more cash than you ever suspected. Watch this space. Soon I am hoping for a professional body/organisation to pull it all together. I have a plan.. we need to be organised and focused but most of all united professionally to have creditability and a voice in the CAA. Yes and this means shelling out the wedge to get your bnuc-s as its the ONLY way professionally to get permission to fly.

There are so many talented people on here in the UK. A single voice and organisation to provide a professional service nation wide is being begged for. I dont know which way to turn right now for the work that IS available to a fully accredited, professional organisation.. EVERYONE INTERESTED in joining me in the UK please PM me to register an interest with your personal details like email and phone number. I AM ALL ABOUT PROFESSIONALISM its what counts and makes you stand above the rest..

I was not going to do anything about this for a couple of months but I feel things are moving forward so quickly it needs to be done and done NOW.

Dave

Cabe

I'd be interested in registering with a UK wide flying club. I would also be prepared to contribute membership fees for access to some form of public liability insurance.

For me this is still a hobby, but there is nothing wrong with following professional practices. Although for quite a few people a BNUC-S is several times their equipment costs, I wonder if a "starter" package could be brought together.

As I see it the biggest threat to the public perception of these aircraft are the Parrot Drones and such like, ruining it for everyone else. Having some form of professional association would at least offer a countering viewpoint to the bad press MRs usually receive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Eh Up Cabe.. send me as much info as you can in a PM with email and contact details.. Lets get this rolling..

Dave

Macsgrafs

To quote Dave: "Yes and this means shelling out the wedge to get your bnuc-s as its the ONLY way professionally to get permission to fly"!!!

I completely disagree with you on this Dave. I think its a complete rip off to be honest & if anything will encourage more people to fly without any sort of test, insurance or skill.
Originally the CAA accepted the BMFA helicopter A test, but not any more (unless you already had this test & approval from the CAA). This seems like the BNUC & CAA are in bed together ripping off the great british public.

For this reason I propose WE the MR commmunity make our OWN test/rules/guidelines, with a much smaller fee...just like Simon has done for the UK FPV fliers, at least they managede to win against the CAA..... so why cant we?

6 months ago I spent 45 mins on the phone to some guy at the CAA & he completely agreed with me that the BNUC wasn't designed for us small weight users & more for the big industrial/military users. I mean after all what's the difference between commercial use & own use...MONEY!!!!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying an administration fee, but I will NOT pay an over inflated, rip off price to a company so that they say I can fly...this is open to serious abuse in my opinion.
Why dont we have our own test...like the BMFA certificates? We would need to incorporate safety & CAA guidelines into it, but without the ridiculous fees associated with the BNUC.
Who else agrees with me on this one I wonder?

Ross

ZAxis

All the talk so far has been about pilot qualifications, that only half the problem. Nothing has been said about the quality of construction of the multirotors. In the light aircraft world there are a lot of home built aircraft but there is an oversight organisation that ensure they are built to the required safety standards. Once multirotors get outside recreational use it would be reassuring to know they will be safe and reliable. Insurance companies would be interested in that !
What do others think ?

andy

Bowley

This would be along the lines of Euro USC's 'Design and Construction' (LUASS) service.
Its basically a good scheme but the fact remains there is no airworthiness standards for UAS <20kg from the CAA.
Care would have to be taken if this were to be initiated as a requirement as we may see the cost of building and maintenance increase.
I fear velcro and sticky pads would no longer be acceptable and if we had to follow aviation industry standards, most of us could not afford it not to mention the added weight. we must not forget that MR's are basically not airworthy at all as the majority have absolutely no redundancy in event of single point failure.
This fact alone actually renders them technically illegal to fly iaw the ANO.
I'm all for safe operation though and provided the standards were driven by the MR community and realistic it would be a good feature for flight safety and also insurance purposes.

I feel there is a gaping hole at the moment in between modelling and higher end UAV now that the <7kg category has been merged into the <20kg one. When the BMFA washed there hands of any commercial activity, which is understandable, the CAA basically farmed out regulatory duty to the private sector.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bowley, you hit the nail squarely on the head there my friend....MR's are basically not airworthy.

it's interesting that you guys mention this. i've spent some time building airplanes in my basement and it's true that sticky tape and velcro won't cut it if airworthiness and certification are required. it's tough though to build a light package when you're trying to make every fastener aircraft grade and every attachment up to aircraft standards. not to say it can't be done but a lot of what is flying right now won't do.

can i be an international honarary member? :)

Macsgrafs

You can be International President for all I care Bart ;) ;) ;) You are after all, the only multi jet engined qualified pilot on the whole site. If anyone knows its you my friend.

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
You can be International President for all I care Bart ;) ;) ;) You are after all, the only multi jet engined qualified pilot on the whole site. If anyone knows its you my friend.

Ross

appreciate it Ross but it's just my job....around here i go by Bart.

i'm in awe at some of the talent and credentials passing through here on any given day. it's very rewarding to see so many accomplished people here on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Bowley ..

I agree care would have to be taken as to just how far regulation is taken but like you I was thinking more in terms of putting insurance companies and customers at ease. Personally I see nothing wrong with velcro and sticky tape for as long as its used in the right place. I always look to Burt Rutan for inspiration as he has pushed the unconventional use of materials and aircraft design to the edge of space.
Its all down to sensible risk analysis and solid evidence to back it up.

andy

Bowley

Yes totally Andy, I wasn't knocking your idea, just thinking as you do, that It should be proportionate and affordable and driven by us rather than other entities dealing with heavier UAV and us getting grouped in with them.

Macsgrafs

Bart, the people are here because its a 1 off website, with some superb people to match. I have yet to find better, well to be honest I havent looked since finding this one.
I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who is pi88ed off with the price of BNUC....I read above & it makes me smile, so for that I thanks you all gents ;)

Ross