NAZA Flame Wheel F450 Kit questions.

Glendram

Glendram
Hello, I am a new member and have just ordered the NAZA F450 kit. I am going to set it up for some aerial
photography. I am thinking about getting the Spektrum DX8 or the Futaba t8fg could someone shed light on which one would be the best choice, or an alternative suggestion.
Also lipo batteries and a suitable charger, there is so much information and I am confused as to which would do the job. Seems you can just keep spending money on gear. My idea is to advance to the gps FPV gear or eventually modify the F450.
Any information, guidance and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Glen.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Glen,

I use JR gear (very similar to Spectrum of course) but if I had to do it over with DJI electronics I would go with the Futaba t8fg because of the s-bus compatibility. I have no real loyalty to either TX manufacture.

For Lipos 3s or 4s are your choices. I prefer 4s because its more efficient. Higher voltage equals lower amp draws.

Chargers: I really like the Hyperion chargers.

Hope that helps some.

kloner

Aerial DP
i like jr radios.... the 9503 is nice, but man the 11x is really nice. super high resolution, easy to deal with,programs into anything, super flexible. if you wanted the best of both worlds, hobbyking just released there orange rx for the jr that has sbus. they say it has full range, i've ran other orange rx's and not had a problem, but fpv and all, i'd want a real rx, 3 extra wires doesn't bug me

the turnigy cells at hobbyking are good, same with gens ace and skylipo at hobbypartz, i don't like there nano tec version.....

any cheap 50 watt will handle 3-4s, but the ichargers they sell at progressiverc.com is all good and worth the money if you fly as much as i do. they balance alot better and are just nicer all around.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
I agree Kloner. I love my JR11X.

Its just when you get into Octo's etc without S-bus you begin to get limited on the extra channels you can and can't use with the DJI. I have no experience with the orange rx's. Now if and when JR comes out with a s-bus rx I will be loving my JR 11X even more.

Glendram

Glendram
Thanks kloner !! I think i still have more research to do but your experience and info is a great help !! Nothing more frustrating than to be excited and busting to get started flying,,,, then realising you have overlooked something very important !! Cheers !!

kloner

Aerial DP
get yourself a set of nice props on the way and or a few sets of props to break learning to fly if you don't already. a good balancer is a must with the cheaper props. the other main thing to remember is to put the receiver wires on the naza toward the rear, motor/esc wires out the front, topside up

Your gonna need a file utilty that deals with unpacking .rar files...... and as they update you gotta keep dealing with them. there like zip but a different way of doing it

I've helped people at my club program the dx8, it has all the same flexibility like assign anything to any switch, timers on the throttle so you can keep track of flight times, alot of features. but,,,, not ever owning anything but jr since the early 90's, it has that cheap toy feel to it. i'd get used to it if it was the only one i had, but if i had a dx6 now and stepped up to jr, it's be like night and day. DX8 is also 2048 resolution so it's a nice bang for the buck. The only thing with it is it's history,,,, seems like it was released early, and ran into lots of problems, 3 recalls where you had to send it back, took forever, etc. I think it had alot to do with the jr/spektrum break up, JR used to make the radios for spektrum, now there on there own since the dx8/11x were released

A f450 arf needed a 5 channel to fly, 7 channel to open up everything like remote gains....... the dx7 would be as low as i'd personaly go

Glendram

Glendram
Hi DJIUSA,
I have ordered the Futaba T8FG as i have no doubt that i will want to expand at some stage in the future. It was recommended to me by a quad-flyer friend also so i think i'm on the right track. Could you explain the S-Bus compatibility please.

Regards Glen.

Dune

What MAH / weight are the batteries you're using with the f450? This post over at Rcgroups serves as a good tutorial for calculating values, but it would be good to have a reality check as far as what people are lifting with these. I'm taking video with a 194 g camera - that and the rx are the payload right now. Maybe a video transmitter for fpv will be added someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
when i loaded mine up for fpv/osd/gps it comes in at 3 lbs 11 oz with gopro and 4s 5000mah lipo, hits 38-40 amps max in atti full throttle, mis stick in forward flight is graphing 18-20 amp continuous with 10x4.7 apc. mine was a 3s kit. now 3s at this weight about half way through a pack barely hovers, 4s is like a rocket from start to stop. 5 minute flights are burning 1500 mah, the high speed during that graph was 40 mph

That's all off a eagle tree logger

kloner

Aerial DP
super easy, plug it in and click what you want logged. I've done alot of heli r&d and it was invaluable there

View attachment 2494View attachment 2495

you can also bring it up in graph view to see when and where what happened

Attachments

• eagletree dash.jpg
    eagletree dash.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 2217 3s 10x47.jpg
    2217 3s 10x47.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 243

kloner

Aerial DP
no, it wasn't even in, the first flight day after christmas was the crash, took 3 weeks of ordering and tuning to get back to where i started before the crash then another 2 weeks to get these guys mindset into my head on how to make it work

It crashed cause i was waiting on the right lipo, used one out of my plank that didn't have velcro, just a strap over the op, though a flight just to see what its like then whammo, couldn't believe it. 1 broke prop turned into a couple bent motors turned into more broken bearings elsewhere

mailman35

doh, i had a single battery come out when i was flying about 4-5ft up the quad kept its balance, where are you going for your parts?
i put an order in with rchobbyhelicopter for some props and a spare motor but havent heard back from them as to when it will ship :(

Glendram

Glendram
Hey kloner, with the 4s 5000mah lipo's what c are you using ? 20c or higher?

Like your vid with yuri's legs by the way !! Hope i can fly like that one day !!

Cheers , Glen