British MR fliers UNITE

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
+1! I work for Sub20.org and the organisation seems to be going really well. They are not a training entity like ResourceUAS or EuroUSC though. We are trying to develope the current regulations to offer a better scope of operations for us operators. And promote the industry in general!

You plan on becoming a member Dave? We need all the support we can!

Tuomas P.

Well, I have done some multi work also in the UK recently ...maybe I should also join the Sub20;)
I flew inside the Bentley car Factory, now can the CAA touch private factory airspace;)
Tuomas

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey mate,

Yeah, any licensed company can join Sub20. I think using a UAV for commercial filming comes under the CAA guidelines whether inside or out. Not sure though.

Cheers!

Benjamin Kenobi

Woohoo! You'll love it! If you want to come and visit I'm not far away. If I'm not on a job you're welcome to stay over for a bit less travelling in the morning. I assume you're gong to the one at Cotswolds airport near Kemble?

Flubbs

nice one Ben, thanks, will drop you a pm nearer the time, i think this one is in worcester, after that theres nothing down this way until march, just need this blasted weather to clear and go flying did this the other morning on the rare sunny day we had this week. http://vimeo.com/84200274

Benjamin Kenobi

Hi Dave!

I have gone through the RPQ-S fully and the ground school for the BNUC-S. I believe the main differences with the RPQ-S are:

• You are certified on a system (in my case I'm certified on the DJI S800 with WKM). This means I can get a fleet of S800's and not have to retake a flight test.
  • The ground school is 3 days long and includes a site visit with a practice on doing a site survey.
  • The ground school had much longer days and involved a lot more question and answer sessions.
  • You don't need an ops manual to do the flight test. Just some tech specs and your flight reference cards (checklists).
  • You are supposed to do your flight test within 28 days of the ground school.
  • Your aircraft don't get a serial number.
  • If you email or call them you get a near instant reply no matter what the time of day!

I got my CAA permission within 10 days of submitting my ops manual, although I was the first to get licensed with ResourceUAS so this might explain why it was so quick.

I was really happy with the service as you can probably guess from my replies. They were all ex-military which meant things happened like clockwork. Although their stories of flying full size drones in Afghanistan made me feel a little inadequate with my 'little' hexacopter! :nevreness:

Hope this ramble makes sense.

Oh, and the cost is £1300 all inclusive. (except £113 for CAA)

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
This is what I find odd about the difference between the two: why don't you get an airframe number as at the end of the day the RPQ-S and the EuroUSC course should all be delivering a common standard which is dictated by the CAA? Hmmmm, hopefully commonality will be reached if it hasn't happened already.

Benjamin Kenobi

I think the standard is changing as time goes on. Without an airworthiness certificate the air-frame number doesn't mean too much IMHO. I think the future will involve airworthiness certs for all aircraft. EuroUSC do one for £2000 but I'm not really sure what it involves. Do they stress test components and check your soldering?

Flubbs

Hi Dave!

I have gone through the RPQ-S fully and the ground school for the BNUC-S. I believe the main differences with the RPQ-S are:

• You are certified on a system (in my case I'm certified on the DJI S800 with WKM). This means I can get a fleet of S800's and not have to retake a flight test.
  • The ground school is 3 days long and includes a site visit with a practice on doing a site survey.
  • The ground school had much longer days and involved a lot more question and answer sessions.
  • You don't need an ops manual to do the flight test. Just some tech specs and your flight reference cards (checklists).
  • You are supposed to do your flight test within 28 days of the ground school.
  • Your aircraft don't get a serial number.
  • If you email or call them you get a near instant reply no matter what the time of day!

I got my CAA permission within 10 days of submitting my ops manual, although I was the first to get licensed with ResourceUAS so this might explain why it was so quick.

I was really happy with the service as you can probably guess from my replies. They were all ex-military which meant things happened like clockwork. Although their stories of flying full size drones in Afghanistan made me feel a little inadequate with my 'little' hexacopter! :nevreness:

Hope this ramble makes sense.

Oh, and the cost is £1300 all inclusive. (except £113 for CAA)

Hi, just paid my bill, i opted for the extra CAA approval bit (now £200)where resource resource sign your ops manual and approve it which in theory eliminates some of the CAA delays, that's now £1500 total, I cant speak for the BNUC-s but I've just started the web based ground school and it seems well thought out so far.. will let you know. Am i right in thinking that yearly renewals are less with Resource-UAS?

A friend sent me this the other day http://cambridgeuav.co.uk/training/ but cant work out what their angle is, doesn't seem to result in any CAA qualifications, apologies of I'm wrong. To my mind any form of training should result in certification of some kind and surely the ultimate aim of anyone investing money on this scale is for CAA permissions???