SKYJIB 8 & DJI setup advice!

CineRebel

Hi everyone,

I am building a SKYJIB 8 at the moment and need some advise on my setup!

After waiting for almost 2 months for my aerodrive powerboard and still not receiving it I decided to return my MK FC and go for DJI which was my first choice (it's a long story).

Just don't like putting my business on hold for an expensive powerboard!

still waiting for my Pletty 15-20 to arrive as wel. so in the mean time I would be very happy if you could give me some advice on which ESC, Lipo and Radio tx/rx I should go for?

I already have a Graupnner MX-20 but need a second radio for my gimbal!

(money is not my biggest concern, quality and performance are!!!)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
CineRebel,

how about the hercules borads for ESCs, better specs than the aerodrive board, firmware thats newer and more advanced when it comes to features than the aerodrive that is as far as i know running MK BL Crtls firmware. Another advantage is that the hercules boards work with WKM and MK. So if you want to switch FCs you have that option.

Boris

Vortex

I'm not sure about the Hercules board.......Here are the specs I found

Hercules - This set is made for heavy lifter okto systems up to 200 Amps with active cooling plate.

Aerodrive - Aerodrive 8 can go to 5s and 400A

Vortex

That's a lot different to what they are advertising!!! If this is correct it's exactly what I have been looking for :)

Thanks,

Lance

funkjan

just copied from anreas beier's page - datasheet of Hercules II:

4) High-Power

* ausschliesslich N-Kanal MOSFETs durch Verwendung für ordentliche Treibern für Highside und Lowside.
* Nur ein Typ N-MOSFETs nötig => billiger und Leistungsfähriger als P-MOSFETs.
* Erweiterter Spannungsversorgunsbereich von 2-6S (6-26V!)
* Leistung bis zu 10Arms/40Apeak pro Motor (40Arms/160Apeak) für Gesamtregler ohne Kühlung durch Verwendung von aktivem Freilauf! Bei entsprechender Kühlung auch mehr möglich (max. 100Apeak pro Motor).
* 100% Teillastfähig durch wahlweise zuschaltbaren aktivem Freilauf!
* optimierte Motor-Anlauf-Strategie, getestet mit einer Vielzahl von verschiedenen Motoren.

just followed your discussion :)

Jan

edited: ok just imagined you might not understand - but this part : "...* Leistung bis zu 10Arms/40Apeak pro Motor (40Arms/160Apeak) für Gesamtregler ohne Kühlung durch Verwendung von aktivem Freilauf! Bei entsprechender Kühlung auch mehr möglich (max. 100Apeak pro Motor)." - you should get it "Kühling" is cooling

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I just finished up two today. For me the benefits are also that it has an independant firmware and one doesnt have to wait or aks MK H&I to change something !

View attachment 2430

one of my temp logs, Value A2 is temp max 8 degress, 5.5 kg octo flying, but outside temps were around 0

View attachment 2431

he has the decription also in english:

* Exclusevly N-channel MOSFETs in high- and lowside with propper pre-drivers.
* Only one type of MOSFETs for all positions due to bootstrap driver on highside => cheaper, more powerfull than P-channel.
* Extended power supply range from 2-6S (6-26V)!
* Power up to 10Arms/40Apeak per motor (40Arms/160Apeak for quad-board) without any cooling when using activer freewheeling. With some cooling up to 100A peak per motor possible.
* 100% part load confirmed due to switchable activer freewheeling!
* Optimized motor start-up strategy, tested with a numerous amount of different motors.

And they are selling coolers with it fitting DW frames:

http://www.globe-flight.de/Herkules-II-Kuehlkoerper-X-Okto

Attachments

• P1010368.jpg
    P1010368.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 391
  • S5graph.jpg
    S5graph.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 297

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nice thing also is if you want to use it with MK your system still stay 6s compatible. You have 8.5V I think out to power the MK FC. Normally you have to change components in the MK FC to have it running with 6s

Boris

CineRebel

Thank you guys for your suggestions, but after reading some more I am going to go which Hobbywing platinium 40A or 60A ESC's... much cheaper and do exactly the same job!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Also a good choice. If you have a chance get some with the Atmel Atmega chip on it. They you have the chance to flash the ESCs with a multirotor specific firmware which could eventually increase the overall performance !

Boris

CineRebel

how can i know that they have the Atmel Atmega chip ??

I am considering FlyFun-60A & FlyFun-60A-OPTO or the Platinum Pro 60a ... the last one is quite larger and heavier then the Flyfun.. which one do you recommend ?

CineRebel

I just realized that they are both the same weight,
but the platinum pro 40A is much lighter but i am not sure it is strong enough ?? max burst current is 80Amps...

Hi CineRebel

We just did a few test flights today with an SJ8/WKM running flyfun 60A optos - flying great and the ESCs were barely warm to the touch after 6mins flying. However im told that the Pletty 15-20s should be ok on 40A.

Jack

CineRebel

Hi CineRebel

We just did a few test flights today with an SJ8/WKM running flyfun 60A optos - flying great and the ESCs were barely warm to the touch after 6mins flying. However im told that the Pletty 15-20s should be ok on 40A.

Jack

Thanx Jack,

What motors and lipos are you using!?

funkjan

Attachments

• Herkules II Octo1 [50%].jpeg
    Herkules II Octo1 [50%].jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 395

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Thank you guys for your suggestions, but after reading some more I am going to go which Hobbywing platinium 40A or 60A ESC's... much cheaper and do exactly the same job!

I am using the Hobbywing 40A esc's and they work a charm, no problems :)

Gunter.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am using WKM with the hercs, but several others are using them with MK. FC and Navi added to it is no problem, with an OSD it might be an issue. But i personally wouldnt add an OSD setup to a Dedicated AV HL plattform but thats a question of taste. One more thing concerning the Herc WKM combo there are little issue at the moment, if you follow the Herkules CS8 build thread and some off use with bigger props on the setup are experiencing power surges, but that will be resolved. At the moment not such an issue because WKM with bigger and heavier props is not really giving the best performance anyways.

Thats the way i am using them with a custom cooler :

View attachment 2445View attachment 2446View attachment 2447

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 417
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 437

Axi 4120/20 and currently 2x 5000mah 5S, this baby going to lift lots :) However currently flight times are suffering so we'll go to 8000mah bats and most likely 15x4" props (currently 14x8 graupner). Possibly even go to 6S.

elossam

Boris do you have an idea about what and how Imu, mixer board and ESC interact to each other in therms of rf noise. Can see you heve the three elements in line instead of one over the other like most other setups. Is the IMU radiating over the mixer board? Maybe the escs is the guily guy here?