Photohigher skyline rsgs

Macsgrafs

I've just had a thought why this useless bit of kit might be so useless!!!!!

The 2k2 resistor networks used on the servos fluctuate with temperature, could this be why so many are having problems with it returning to a level position?
I think they have used 5% tolerance resistors...1% would be far better if a bit more expensive, I will look at this further.

Check these out:- http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-dale/ptf562k5000byek/resistor-metal-film-2-5kohm-125mw/dp/1213614
Notice the temeprature drift +/- 10ppm per Degree C!!!!!

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

Just ordered a Radian for roll. Sick of dealing with this. I'll still use RSGS for tilt, because that is working fine for me. Wish I didn't have to shell out an extra $350 just to get a working roll.

Macsgrafs

One thing I've noticed about this thread is the distinct lack of RSGS suppliers on here!!!!!!!!!!! Even Cedric hardly posts any more & if it wasn't for Nic, half of us would have thrown it in the bin or worse by now.
I've now spen well in excess of 10 hours on this RSGS, every time I turn it off & on again I have to recentre the servos...I think a certain NZ company will be getting a bill from me at this rate, they should certainly be paying Nic for all his hard work!

Ross

Efliernz

Pete
I replaced my PH supplied resisters with some spare vishay 5K screwdriver-adjust pots. I set them to exactly 2.5K/2.5K and hot-melt glued them solid. At least I know my resistors are even ;) I also needed to replace some of the PH "servo leads" as I had problems with the pins pushing out when they were plugged in.

I have needed to make a new gimbal tray for my diy mount after I found my LX3 camera was 1mm too wide for it! All sorted now but I will have to wait to further test next week as I'm at an airshow for the next few days :D

When I powered it up last night, my roll was 3 deg off (aren't Android phone protractor apps fantastic!) so I will try a fresh calibration. 3 deg doesn't matter for the Gopro but it will be a problem with anything with a flat horizon.

Pete

zasadek

I've just had a thought why this useless bit of kit might be so useless!!!!!

The 2k2 resistor networks used on the servos fluctuate with temperature, could this be why so many are having problems with it returning to a level position?
I think they have used 5% tolerance resistors...1% would be far better if a bit more expensive, I will look at this further.

Check these out:- http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-dale/ptf562k5000byek/resistor-metal-film-2-5kohm-125mw/dp/1213614
Notice the temeprature drift +/- 10ppm per Degree C!!!!!

Ross
I've noticed same problem but in constant temperature environment. I think that more probable is uncompensated drift of gyro in v1.6 algorithms.
I will write it again - in v1.2.2 there was no such problems at all.

Ross, please tell me one thing. When level problem occurs, how many degrees you have to move camera tray to compensate it?

Pjtyros

Well my honest opinion is that the Skyline is the best of a bad bunch, what I mean is that the Skyline was released before it was market ready and is still in beta stage, the documentation and instructions on the photohigher site could have been written better by a child, the gimble and 360 kits are the same. I am sure they are a wonderful bunch of people with the best intentions but the products still leave a lot to be desired. Having said all that then I still don't see a better product on the market for 360 2 man operation. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers
Paul
Well my words from 2 weeks ago still stand, I am now considering an alternative gyro and or gimble,
not sure which way to go, Free fly, or Hoverfly?

Macsgrafs

I've noticed same problem but in constant temperature environment. I think that more probable is uncompensated drift of gyro in v1.6 algorithms.
I will write it again - in v1.2.2 there was no such problems at all.

Ross, please tell me one thing. When level problem occurs, how many degrees you have to move camera tray to compensate it?

I must admit v 1.2.2 did seem far more reliable, but still had drift. I was just chatting about the temperature drift & was wondering if anyone is in a constant temperature...if they have to recalibrate every time before they fly?
As for how far do I move the cam tray...I don't! I take off the drive belt & drive wheel & recentre the servos with tray level, then connect back up the servos.

Nic if you read this, do you have to recalibrate every time you go out? If not then please let us know how things are during your winter.

Do we have a Muhammad on this forum? Because I watched this video tonight, he seems to have it sussed:-

Please comment on the above video to let me know if that's how you set yours up, by zero'ing everything first?

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Hi Guys,
I'm sorry that you've all had so much trouble with your Photohigher gear. I'm simply an advocate of Photohigher due to it being a reputable brand in the fast growing gimbal market. I've tried to help many of you because I like to see people succeed in anything they do.

I dont know if many of you realize, but I am helping a lot of you via FB, messenger, Skype, email and even SMS. Its got to a point where I spend a few hours every day (mainly on laptop in front of the TV in the evenings) suggesting, guiding and viewing sample videos to assess setups. I have my work, a family and I need to get some rest, so I'll probably take the foot off the gas with the help now.

I'm getting the best results yet from the 1.6 firmware, so do urge to keep with it...
Please remember a few things about this forum. Photohigher chooses to be here. Its not our rite to have them here, its our privilege. Like Droidworx, when they show up with responses to our posts, they get hammered with questions. I think like DJI and some other big multirotor businesses, Photohigher could have a dedicated customer service tech, to produce instructional manuals, videos demonstrations, and answer questions about setups. The gimbal market is exploding now, with many choices. I'm sure Kim and the team will be thinking about how to better service their existing clients with after sales assistance since thier reputation is important. They need the existing customers to further advocate their future products, I'm sure they know this.

Anyway, stick with the skyline, it is actually a very good stabilizer. I am still scraping up limited funds to buy a direct drive gimbal from them when they release it, so I am still onboard with likeing their stuff.

Macsgrafs

Hi Guys,

I dont know if many of you realize, but I am helping a lot of you via FB, messenger, Skype, email and even SMS. Its got to a point where I spend a few hours every day (mainly on laptop in front of the TV in the evenings) suggesting, guiding and viewing sample videos to assess setups. I have my work, a family and I need to get some rest, so I'll probably take the foot off the gas with the help now.

I'm getting the best results yet from the 1.6 firmware, so do urge to keep with it...
Please remember a few things about this forum. Photohigher chooses to be here. Its not our rite to have them here, its our privilege. Like Droidworx, when they show up with responses to our posts, they get hammered with questions. I think like DJI and some other big multirotor businesses, Photohigher could have a dedicated customer service tech, to produce instructional manuals, videos demonstrations, and answer questions about setups. The gimbal market is exploding now, with many choices. I'm sure Kim and the team will be thinking about how to better service their existing clients with after sales assistance since thier reputation is important. They need the existing customers to further advocate their future products, I'm sure they know this.

Anyway, stick with the skyline, it is actually a very good stabilizer. I am still scraping up limited funds to buy a direct drive gimbal from them when they release it, so I am still onboard with likeing their stuff.

So Photohigher, as you see dear Nic has been doing what someone from your company should be doing & for that reason I hope you donate something to his cause, I think that would be fair, I'm sure many members (your PAYING customers photohigher) would agree.

I'm sure if they released a video like the one I posted (see page 209) then everyone would be on the same page. Come on photohigher, show the paying customers & future potential customers how to set this RSGS up, make a video & upload it to your website, surely that's easy enough for you guys!

Nic, photohigher are here because WE choose to be here, without us, the members (photohigher customers), there would be NO photohigher....remember they owe us for our support, not the other way around. Sadly though that is where so many problems lie. this applies to many people & firms out there. They should really be thanking us for choosing thier products..because WE PAY THEM, if they were PAYING US, then I would agree with your statement Nic ;)

I'm also still onboard liking thier products, but it's been a very testing time this end...I've been away from it for 3 hours, so I'm cooling down...until i have another go at it ;)

Nic you're a legend, your time is very much appreciated...it could be ALL your own time if PH produced a setup video...anyone else here agree?

Regards
Ross

tombrown1

Well my words from 2 weeks ago still stand, I am now considering an alternative gyro and or gimble,
not sure which way to go, Free fly, or Hoverfly?

I've done a fair amount of research on this very question. The answer to me seemed to be Radian. It's hard to argue with the multitude of people putting out exceptional videos with varying equipment matched with Radian. Cinestar MR is obviously excellent - Cinestar gimble is also excellent - but Radian seems to be putting great videos out across many MR and gimble platforms.

To do the whole thing over again I would probably go with X8 Carbon Core WKM with a Cinestar 3-axis gimble and Radian 3x.

But until I strike it rich I'm going to have to make my AV130 work with RSGS on tilt, Radian on roll, and a Freefly servo on the pan.

zasadek

Please comment on the above video to let me know if that's how you set yours up, by zero'ing everything first?
Ross
Yes. Putting zero on gains and manual tuning is the best way to achieve good results.
Muhammad recommendation is to not use Z axis set button. I cannot agree with that. You have to rotate 90 degrees tray and go to monitor page in setup program. If tilt axis value is not near 90 you cannot skip this step in setup procedure! Bo back to tuning tab and hit second button and save.

nicwilke

Yes. Putting zero on gains and manual tuning is the best way to achieve good results.
Muhammad recommendation is to not use Z axis set button.

I dont bother zeroing the gains for centering the tray, nor do I do the Z axis. I pretty much do the same setup as Muhummad, but dont need to zero the gains to stop the servo. Notice how he got a result with no twisted wires? This is because he removed the drive belt, and the roll gear. I was going to do the same video as him this weekend, but now that he did it, I'll not bother. Well done.

Macsgrafs

I have connected my servos back up now & just concentrating on one axis at a time. Starting with the tilt, its starting to slowly rock back & forth, quite slow but as I increase the gains it tilts further & further. The speed is very slow, if I tilt my octo forwards it takes just over a second before the tray moves to compensate.
Gains on tilt are:-

Tilt position 267
Tilt velocity 338
Tilt integral gain 6

Any idea why its moving so slow now??

Ross

nicwilke

I have connected my servos back up now & just concentrating on one axis at a time. Starting with the tilt, its starting to slowly rock back & forth, quite slow but as I increase the gains it tilts further & further. The speed is very slow, if I tilt my octo forwards it takes just over a second before the tray moves to compensate.
Gains on tilt are:-

Tilt position 267
Tilt velocity 338
Tilt integral gain 6

Any idea why its moving so slow now??

Ross

Take integral to zero. What happens?

Macsgrafs

Take integral to zero. What happens?

Its even slower in its response time! but it overshoots the level position & takes about 6 swings before it levels.
You know those big boat rides you see at the fair, that wing back & forward...thats what mine does :(

Ross