Photohigher skyline rsgs

Efliernz

Pete

V1.6 on the diy gimbal.
From the model club yesterday. Just the Gopro strapped to the tray but you get the idea - especially when the front arms come into view.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have today upgraded to V1.6 & tried tunning the useless aV200 + RSGS.

I disconnected ALL the servo wheels & levelled the tray, I had to use a fair amount of SUB-TRIM on my DX7 to stop the servos spinning.
I then re-connected the servo wheels/pulleys & placed a spirit level upon the gimbal tray.
I then proceeded to do the SET XY LEVEL..then tilted the tray down by 90 degrees & done the set Z level?

If I do an auto tune the tray tilts backwards through 180 degrees & tries to wreck my DX201 camera & servo leads!!!!

Can some one PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong???

Do I tune out the servos using the transmitter (DX7) or via the rSGS software leaving the transmitter off???

I'm at the point of sending it back or if PH wont accept it back then it will be a barclaycard chargeback, that's how serious I am about it. It's making me very ill as it's money I can ill afford to have on a card, especially for something that doesn't work :(

Any help from anyone would be really greatly appreciatedd.

Ross

I disconnected ALL the servo wheels & levelled the tray, I had to use a fair amount of SUB-TRIM on my DX7 to stop the servos spinning.
I then re-connected the servo wheels/pulleys & placed a spirit level upon the gimbal tray.
I then proceeded to do the SET XY LEVEL..then tilted the tray down by 90 degrees & done the set Z level?

If I do an auto tune the tray tilts backwards through 180 degrees & tries to wreck my DX201 camera & servo leads!!!!

Do I tune out the servos using the transmitter (DX7) or via the rSGS software leaving the transmitter off???

I'm at the point of sending it back or if PH wont accept it back then it will be a barclaycard chargeback, that's how serious I am about it. It's making me very ill as it's money I can ill afford to have on a card, especially for something that doesn't work :(

Ross

Same problem with our Skyline + AV200 setup. About to give up on it. I've followed the directions as closely as possible, but this thing seems hell bent on killing itself or just sitting there doing nothing. Folks have gotten it to work. Hopefully they can offer a solution.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I would highly recommend detaching your belts and roll gear when trying this for the first time. I too almost destroyed my av200 when first pluggin it in. Mine actually flipped out so much it was lifting the helicopter off its skids! Page 205? wow. I wonder what the ratio of success to failure is?

I'm only trying it because it was part of the prize package, so I figured I'd give it a go. People have gotten it to work well. Wonder what I was doing wrong?!

In my house succes ratio is 1 to 1.
I have two units, an old and a new one. Whilst the new one works fine with 1,5 (haven't had time [courage?) to try 1,6 yet] the old one had to be downgraded back to 1.25. Macsgraf: when tuning the servos manually remember to set gains to zero and disconnect radio. Leaving the tx off may not be enough if the receiver failsafe has been set: the receiver (depends on rx brands) can send a signal even if the tx is missing.
I have to say that the in flight behaviour of the 1,5 on the new unit is really convincing, i enabled the pan compensation and am happy with the results. I don't understand why i haven't been able to replicate these on the old unit though...: same gimbal, same firmware, same person at the GUI...new one went fine straight away, the other took some 8 hours work before rising white flag and getting back to old firmware.

Macsgrafs

Now when I hit auto tune it just sits there and doesn't do a darn thing.

I'd be happy if mine just sat there ;)

I would highly recommend detaching your belts and roll gear when trying this for the first time. I too almost destroyed my av200 when first pluggin it in. Mine actually flipped out so much it was lifting the helicopter off its skids! Page 205? wow. I wonder what the ratio of success to failure is?

Sounds just like mine Iris & the ratio is about 1000:1 ;)

In my house succes ratio is 1 to 1.
I have two units, an old and a new one. Whilst the new one works fine with 1,5 (haven't had time [courage?) to try 1,6 yet] the old one had to be downgraded back to 1.25. Macsgraf: when tuning the servos manually remember to set gains to zero and disconnect radio. Leaving the tx off may not be enough if the receiver failsafe has been set: the receiver (depends on rx brands) can send a signal even if the tx is missing.
I have to say that the in flight behaviour of the 1,5 on the new unit is really convincing, i enabled the pan compensation and am happy with the results. I don't understand why i haven't been able to replicate these on the old unit though...: same gimbal, same firmware, same person at the GUI...new one went fine straight away, the other took some 8 hours work before rising white flag and getting back to old firmware.

Claudio can you explain more?
So you say to set the gains to zero....what one of the 3 are we talking about here?
I will disconnect my RC receiver (spektrum 6 ch cheapie AR500E)...but surely the servos will still rotate as there is no centre info comming from the transmitter?
They still have details of the servo harness modification...which surely shouldn't be on thier website for all the new firmware etc.
Photohigher if you happen to come across this post...stop being such a bunch of amateurs & sort out the intructions! Get rid of that confusing servo harness mod crap as you are NOT selling the old stuff now surely!!!!!!!!!
Also PH, how about telling people that the setup MUST be done WITHOUT the RC Receiver inline...not once did I see a mention of that.

Regards
Ross

nicwilke

Set level. Just manually dial the servos to stop in servos tab when you have both the belt and the roll gear off. I make a point to save off all my steps, so it does not need to be done again if I get a system failure.
When the servos stop, you test the gimbal by tilting and rolling the tray and actuate the servos. If it appears to be working, then and only then do you replace the belt and gear. I dont auto tune ever. Once you have the servos connected up again, tweak the roll and till center positions by using the manual settings again to get it dead level. Pick up the gimbal/copter and get infront of a mirror, and shoot a selfy for YouTube like everyone else (LOL).
It's simple to do, theres nothing technical really, you just have to follow the steps. For the record, I'm using HWv1.0. Check that if you dont have supplied dummy pots that the resistors are working, I know some of mine came loose. Ben, have you removed the old potentiometers and have the new dummy pots in place?

vip

Ross

DO NOT TUNE with the subtrim on the radio. yes have the radio off.
Make your pots stop spinning with the manual controls in the skyline software.
I have never tuned with the camera on the tray..

It will work, of course I just now saw that the new software is released so i will try mine tonight.

Efliernz

Pete
My calibration for 1.6 went ok except... with no release notes, it was trial and error. My mount started to roll during "auto tune" super-quick and shredded the servo wires.

I was not using the AUX port so I left it floating. No servos would work as the default in the AUX control tab had all functions set to "no"... read http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3304-Photohigher-skyline-rsgs&p=84257&viewfull=1#post84257

It seems strange during the "auto calibration" process that the mount tilts up 90 deg. I have my finger on the power button the whole time this this is calibrating just in case I have a direction incorrect and it trys to 360 the mount.

Once installed and cilibrated, mine goes ok. I control my tilt with a slider and on 1.2.2, I had it set to 10 deg one way, 90 the other and I had full range of the slider working. With 1.6, I have the same 10/90 setting but It doesn't restrict it - I need to restrict travel within my Tx slider end-points.

Pete

nicwilke

Ah, tilts a bit... so you are connected up again... Ben, try to connect to comport again, if blue light comes on, then turn on servos and see if your movement is Ok, do a save again, and then power off. Check the servo rotation is correct also.

Ah, tilts a bit... so you are connected up again... Ben, try to connect to comport again, if blue light comes on, then turn on servos and see if your movement is Ok, do a save again, and then power off. Check the servo rotation is correct also.

I connected, blue light came on. I turned on the servos. The camera plate tilts slightly, then skyline flashes red. Software says "error condition". Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this.

I had this issue in the field a couple times. Luckily I had a laptop and reloaded firmware to fix the error. If you are not the the tuning stage, it might be worth a reload.

tombrown1

I just had my maiden with 1.6. Overall pleased. General performance is better for me.

However, I'm still having a bent horizon when doing a pan. I guess it's something I'll have to live with.

I am going to make this system work, but I will say that I would not have gone this route in retrospect. I've spent over $1500 in gimbal, 360 kit, and rsgs - all items made from photohigher. You would think they would be simple, plug and play, and effective. They are not. It takes countless hours of setup and testing to get even a reasonable end result.

In retrospect I would have gone Cinestar or Zenmuse.

Macsgrafs

DO NOT TUNE with the subtrim on the radio. yes have the radio off.
Make your pots stop spinning with the manual controls in the skyline software.
I have never tuned with the camera on the tray..

It will work, of course I just now saw that the new software is released so i will try mine tonight.

My camera is only a small DX201 thats perminately mounted on the front of the camera tray, its to give me a live downlink when using a DSLR.

I had this issue in the field a couple times. Luckily I had a laptop and reloaded firmware to fix the error. If you are not the the tuning stage, it might be worth a reload.

So looks like another bit of kit we need to carry on outings...notebook. I have also had this happen to me twice!

I just had my maiden with 1.6. Overall pleased. General performance is better for me.

However, I'm still having a bent horizon when doing a pan. I guess it's something I'll have to live with.

I am going to make this system work, but I will say that I would not have gone this route in retrospect. I've spent over $1500 in gimbal, 360 kit, and rsgs - all items made from photohigher. You would think they would be simple, plug and play, and effective. They are not. It takes countless hours of setup and testing to get even a reasonable end result.

In retrospect I would have gone Cinestar or Zenmuse.

wish I had gone cinestar now :( However the bent horizon could be cured on the radio transmitter controlling the gimbal...mix some rudder-aileron!

zasadek

Hello,

I'm currently after 1.6 to 1.2.2 downgrade. For me, "new" version of software introduces regression in operation of gimbal. First of all skyline setup software is unstable in many places. For example try to set XYZ levels and after saving go to monitor tab. Second, and much more important is that new algoritms have introduced unstable roll axis during panning. It is more significant during long operation time. Third, camera leveling is worse also. After gimbal power cycle it seems to be a little bit random.

Can anybody tell me what should be better in 1.6 (SkylineSoftware1.6.zip) compared to 1.2.2 (SkylineSoftware2.5.zip)?? :)

---
My RSGS hardware revision is 1.1. I'm using software downloaded from PH website (SkylineSoftware1.6.zip). Skyline is working with AV200.
---

PS.
One improvement is verry good - the AUX channel customization. Now I can manually use PAN axis without stabilisation. :)