Photohigher skyline rsgs

ATFlyer

I've just had a thought why this useless bit of kit might be so useless!!!!!

The 2k2 resistor networks used on the servos fluctuate with temperature, could this be why so many are having problems with it returning to a level position?
I think they have used 5% tolerance resistors...1% would be far better if a bit more expensive, I will look at this further.

Check these out:- http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-dale/ptf562k5000byek/resistor-metal-film-2-5kohm-125mw/dp/1213614
Notice the temeprature drift +/- 10ppm per Degree C!!!!!

Ross

I'm not convinced its the resistors.
I am getting great results using the previous firmware (although because PH can't be ar**d to clean up their website I don't know what I'm using!!! 1.2.2 I think!!), with my dummy pots made with cheap as chips Maplin resistors.
i'm disappointed with the new firmware because I do think that the RSGS could be brilliant.

I have got 1.6 working despite multiple crashes, freezes and the odd Blue Screen Of Death. The software is very unstable & buggy. The biggest problem though is a gradual roll to the left. It moves 6.5 degrees in 6 minutes.
It's a real shame because overall 1.6 does actually work well (apart from the commercially useless roll drift of course!).
Why would they improve some of it & trash bits that were OK?

Macsgrafs

Have you got Rx on?

No RX connected, it RSGS only.

I'm not convinced its the resistors.
I am getting great results using the previous firmware (although because PH can't be ar**d to clean up their website I don't know what I'm using!!! 1.2.2 I think!!), with my dummy pots made with cheap as chips Maplin resistors.
i'm disappointed with the new firmware because I do think that the RSGS could be brilliant.

I have got 1.6 working despite multiple crashes, freezes and the odd Blue Screen Of Death. The software is very unstable & buggy. The biggest problem though is a gradual roll to the left. It moves 6.5 degrees in 6 minutes.
It's a real shame because overall 1.6 does actually work well (apart from the commercially useless roll drift of course!).
Why would they improve some of it & trash bits that were OK?

Now is it the RSGS or software thats at fault? I have been sat for the last 5 mins watchign the MONITOR screen on the rSGS software, the tray is perfectly level & the monitor screen shows the roll increasing all the time, even though the tray is NOT moving...so is it the rsgs or the software I wonder?

I'm also wondering if its the lipo battery supply, as the voltage drops the RSGS can't handle it & strats to make out its moving!!!!

ATFlyer

When I had the camera tray perfectly level and stationary in both roll and tilt axes the monitor tab showed the pan, roll and tilt cycling between +7 and 0.

The software is definately unstable. After switching to the monitor tab the laptop either froze or crashed windows to the BSOD.
If I try to use the sliders to adjust the gains on the gain tab it crashes, but when I change the values by typing in nubers to the boxes on the left then hit TAB, the gain values are accepted. Something not right there!

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the RSGS. As I said in my previous post, mine is working well with firmware 1.2.2 which therefore suggests it's the new software, the firmware or (probably) both. I also doubt it has anything to do with the power supply - again referring to mine it works fine on 1.2.2 but crap on 1.6.

Maybe by releasing crappy software & firmware Photohigher think we will all be too busy trying to get the thing to work to go & buy something better :highly_amused:!

vip

When I had the camera tray perfectly level and stationary in both roll and tilt axes the monitor tab showed the pan, roll and tilt cycling between +7 and 0.

The software is definately unstable. After switching to the monitor tab the laptop either froze or crashed windows to the BSOD.
If I try to use the sliders to adjust the gains on the gain tab it crashes, but when I change the values by typing in nubers to the boxes on the left then hit TAB, the gain values are accepted. Something not right there!

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the RSGS. As I said in my previous post, mine is working well with firmware 1.2.2 which therefore suggests it's the new software, the firmware or (probably) both. I also doubt it has anything to do with the power supply - again referring to mine it works fine on 1.2.2 but crap on 1.6.

Maybe by releasing crappy software & firmware Photohigher think we will all be too busy trying to get the thing to work to go & buy something better :highly_amused:!

You may want to re-install the software, I am using win7 on my laptop and I have no crashing issues. I would not be to concerned about the monitor numbers moving around, computer chips have to think... as long as the tray is not moving what does it matter?

I am shooting autos for my job today , I will see if I have the same feelings afterwards.. :nevreness:

Macsgrafs

I would not be to concerned about the monitor numbers moving around, computer chips have to think... as long as the tray is not moving what does it matter?

But those monitor numbers come from the RSGS!!!!

I'm trying to go back to v1.2.2 but it wont let me...hows does one go from v1.6 back to one I know works?

Nic, the guy in the setup video says he's using v1.2, but in that version you dont get 3 gain settings!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ATFlyer

But those monitor numbers come from the RSGS!!!!

I'm trying to go back to v1.2.2 but it wont let me...hows does one go from v1.6 back to one I know works?

Nic, the guy in the setup video says he's using v1.2, but in that version you dont get 3 gain settings!!!

Uninstall the Skyline software with the utility in Windows Control Panel. Install 1.2.2 on the computer, hook up the USB between the PC & Skyline, connect to the Skyline software (but with the Skyline un-powered) then click on the UPDATE FIRMWARE in the Firmware Update tab & follow the instructions on-screen. Oh - and I've found that the USB has to be connected before you start the software!

Sorry, I'm sure there is a lot of teaching you to suck eggs there!!!!!

Efliernz

Pete
V1.6:
I run mine on an XP netbook... I can't go to the "monitor" tab as I get the BSOD every time! Then the program wont restart - so I have to uninstall/reinstall... except it wont uninstall - so I have to manually remove the folder in my local directory first!

Very buggy software. I cant justify a new Win7 laptop because my gimbal software crashes (well my wife says I cant...).

Has anyone sent PH an email detailing these issues or are we all hoping they look at the forum? PH are going into a long holiday weekend (Anniversary Day) with a large 3-day airshow so I wouldn't expect anything out of them for the next 4 days... or me as I'm on my way to this: http://www.wings.org.nz/

Pete

Macsgrafs

Pete, please get some shots of the Mossie for us, you are the only country with a fully flying example!

I have a programe that uninstalls anything you want to get rid of, let me know & I'll email it to you.

Ross

Macsgrafs

Uninstall the Skyline software with the utility in Windows Control Panel. Install 1.2.2 on the computer, hook up the USB between the PC & Skyline, connect to the Skyline software (but with the Skyline un-powered) then click on the UPDATE FIRMWARE in the Firmware Update tab & follow the instructions on-screen. Oh - and I've found that the USB has to be connected before you start the software!

I use revo pro uninstaller, then I tried what I think is version 1.2, but it still wont connect to the RSGS :(

Ross

Efliernz

Pete
definite off topic... sorry!

Ross

I was at the initial display. My photos are here:
http://www.pbase.com/ascend_photography/mosquito_airshow

This will be its last display before the wings and motors come off on Monday - and it is boxed-up for the US. I will shoot lots for ya :D

Here are a couple from the intial display :)

146356844.jpg

146356848.jpg

Pete

Macsgrafs

I'm so jealous Pete...you are so lucky :(

Sorry guys for drifting, but the RSGS drifts so why can't we ;)

My first show is 1000 miles by car, Zeltweg, then back home in time for RIAT :)

Ross

Efliernz

Pete
You win!

Have a lurk around my other photography folders - I suspect there is some stuff you may like ;)

I am looking forward to the Mossie/Venom/Vampire/Vampire formation! The best bit is the layout of the show - the aircraft are able to fly a curve around the crowd letting us shoot stuff like this:

132011235.jpg

Just for you -

Pete

Ok... back to our normal program :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Efliernz ....

Its been 16 years since I last heard two Merlins in full song flying over my house on its way to the next airshow from their home at Broughton, UK. I was devastated when it crashed, I am so jealous you not only get to hear two Merlins but two Cheetahs as well. Kiwis seem to have the best aircraft restoration programs in whole world, the story behind the Mossie is a triumph of effort and dedication.

andy

Macsgrafs

Lovely Pete, I did have a look around your folders ;)
I also saw a video on YT taken inside the Mossie, wicked views & sound ;)
I must admit I'm a fast military jet man myself, but I do like the WW2 stuff, my late father would kick my butt for not paying more attention, he was a tail gunner in a halifax.

Anyway, great shots mate...seems there are a few airshow buffs on here, maybe start a new thread ;)

Ross

Efliernz

Pete
Lovely Pete, I did have a look around your folders ;)
I also saw a video on YT taken inside the Mossie, wicked views & sound ;)
I must admit I'm a fast military jet man myself, but I do like the WW2 stuff, my late father would kick my butt for not paying more attention, he was a tail gunner in a halifax.

Anyway, great shots mate...seems there are a few airshow buffs on here, maybe start a new thread ;)

Ross

Ross

I had all sorts of issues with the video - yes you are allowed to be picky. I'm not taking a video cam this weekend. You will have to put up with stills on Monday ;)
I love fast jets too but our govt disbanded them here a few years ago. Thankfully I made it to Oshkosh 4 years ago for my 40th so I do remember what they sound like.

Pete

Macsgrafs

:) :) :)

Governments...always know what's best for thier population ;) ;)

No worries about the video, just get some wicked shots.....as for video, my old panasonic HD9 was terrible when I compare it with my sony PJ760VE, cant wait for my first airshow & let the Mrs loose with it, she loves filming..I prefer stills, so we make a great team. In fact we get married in May, in June we are havign a weeks honeymoon to Austria, a place called Zeltweg...if you go to google search "Airpower", you will see a superb alpine backdrop....can't wait & we are staing at the chitty chitty bang bang castle on the way down!

Ross

Macsgrafs

Now the software is asking for a psv??? file, which I don't seem to have. I connected as instructed, no power to the RSGS, but the update firmware buttom is grayed out...there must be some way of going back to V1.2??

Ross

ATFlyer

When I rolled back the software this is exactly what I did. Again I'm sorry that it assumes basic knowledge but if I describe what I did step by step I won't miss anything.

I began with 1.6 loaded into the RSGS and the 1.6 software on the PC

I removed the power from the RSGS
I unplugged the USB from the PC but it remained connected to the RSGS
I closed the Skyline programming software on the PC
I un-installed the Skyline software through the control panel. (Somewhere on the last few pages of this forum Brendon of PH describes another way of removing the software)
I installed a previous version of the Skyline software. The filename of this version says it is "SkylineSoftware2.2.zip"
Once it had installed it automatically started so I closed it down
I plugged in the USB to the PC & waited for the audible signal verifying the driver had started
I started the Skyline software
I clicked the PH logo in the bottom left corner, then CONNECT, then the port that was offered. Here I got the "failed to connect" message. The "UPDATE FIRMWARE" box should be available at this time.
I clicked on the UPDATE FIRMWARE box - the software then instructs to power up the RSGS. A progress bar fills & once successful the RSGS ends up in "setup" with the blue LED.

I then did a factory restore & went on to the regular tuning routine.

I hope this helps. If you haven't got v2.2 and want to give it a go PM me & I'll get it to you.

Adrian