Photohigher skyline rsgs

Macsgrafs

Hello,

I'm currently after 1.6 to 1.2.2 downgrade. For me, "new" version of software introduces regression in operation of gimbal. First of all skyline setup software is unstable in many places. For example try to set XYZ levels and after saving go to monitor tab. Second, and much more important is that new algoritms have introduced unstable roll axis during panning. It is more significant during long operation time. Third, camera leveling is worse also. After gimbal power cycle it seems to be a little bit random.

Can anybody tell me what should be better in 1.6 (SkylineSoftware1.6.zip) compared to 1.2.2 (SkylineSoftware2.5.zip)?? :)

---
My RSGS hardware revision is 1.1. I'm using software downloaded from PH website (SkylineSoftware1.6.zip). Skyline is working with AV200.
---

PS.
One improvement is verry good - the AUX channel customization. Now I can manually use PAN axis without stabilisation. :)

Another idiot wasted his money...don't worry I'm an idiot as well ;)

I have been trying 1.6 & it sucks..I have a20 min video to edit & upload today, let's see if Photohigher are professional or amateur in thier response!

My advice, send it back, get a FULL refund & try the cinestar setup, I'm afraid photohigher RSGS is not fit for purpose. I know a few use it & have it nearly sussed, but its still not 100%. If you happen to fin v1.2.2 software, please post a link!

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

I've found the software to be very temperamental. I've got it barely working at this point. The roll axis isn't level on startup and trying to fine tune it just kills it.

So I set the roll axis to slew mode to get it level. Problem is, when I tilt, it rolls slightly - that shouldn't happen. This is likely due the system not actually knowing what level really is. I've got an email into PH.

I own the competing systems, HF Gimbal and FF Radian. Both systems have performed well. I'd like to see the Skyline do well too.

zasadek

@Macsgrafs,
in download section you will find "old good" software - http://www.1001copters.com/en/stabilised-camera-mount/73-skyline-rsgs.html

Well, releasing untested software is very common nowadays. We all are forced to be beta testers. But this 1.6 in my opinion seems to be an "alpha"... ;-)
I do not agree that Skyline sucks. With v1.2.2 I'm getting verry good results. This firmware seems to be reliable also. Many people expect that RSGS is plug and play device, but you have to spent a lot of time to tune it correctly.

About you advice with cinestar - soon there will be released another player - SMOOTH from quadframe. I've seen some videos from betatesters and it looks promising. It will be tuned for popular gimbals also (P&P). I'm waiting for it.

Macsgrafs

I bought my AV200 & RSGS in November, so it has the new resistors & not the pots.....I keep reading & seeing on PH website about a wire mod? Now surely this does not need to be done with my new version? they have V1.6 software & still have the wire mod PDF file there as well.....why?

zasadek

I bought my AV200 & RSGS in November, so it has the new resistors & not the pots.....I keep reading & seeing on PH website about a wire mod? Now surely this does not need to be done with my new version? they have V1.6 software & still have the wire mod PDF file there as well.....why?
It's because not everybody have latest revision of Skyline. By modifying wires of first batch of RSGS you will gain compatibility with recent software.

vip

first 4 minute flight with 1.6... much improved over the previous versions.
I love that the tilt does not freak out anymore in non-slew mode and I can adjust the speed to do a camera move with one operator.
default gains (roll) are a little slow for me ( now to tweaking) but so far so good.

ok, another backyard test.. Mine also does NOT know where level is all the time. I power cycle multiple times and it does not go level with
the camera on it. Take the camera off and it goes level everytime.

BUT!!! If I get ready , plug in the skyline power last and take off BEFORE the skyline sets up, the gimbal is level in 6 tests everytime
as long as I lift off BEFORE it sets.. hopefully this level issue can be addressed by photohigher.

I turned roll gain to 200 and much happier with what I am seeing.

still quirky but I feel very close to what it is supposed to be...
it is very calm out today so a little wind test is needed.

zasadek

BUT!!! If I get ready , plug in the skyline power last and take off BEFORE the skyline sets up, the gimbal is level in 6 tests everytime
as long as I lift off BEFORE it sets.. hopefully this level issue can be addressed by photohigher.
Same here. I think this not an issue but feature. ;-) Did you notice roll axis movements during panning? It usually occurs short while after power on.

Macsgrafs

It's because not everybody have latest revision of Skyline. By modifying wires of first batch of RSGS you will gain compatibility with recent software.

I gathered that, but surely anyone who has an RSGS would have done the mod by now? And all new units don't need it!

vip

Same here. I think this not an issue but feature. ;-) Did you notice roll axis movements during panning? It usually occurs short while after power on.

I am not using the gimbal pan feature at this time. I can't help with testing that yet.
well then , let me re-phrase that, I hope this "feature" is fixed soon, never had that "feature" with 1.2

Kari

Skyline has been working well for me lately (versions 1.22, 1.5 and 1.6) when testing inside or in warmer temperatures but if i startup gimbal outside in cold (around -5C and lower) it just blinks red led. Anyone else having issues on colder temperatures? It's pretty much useless here in Finland if it doesn't work outside at all half of the year. With Radians no problems at all in these temps. Any ideas?

nicwilke

Skyline has been working well for me lately (versions 1.22, 1.5 and 1.6) when testing inside or in warmer temperatures but if i startup gimbal outside in cold (around -5C and lower) it just blinks red led. Anyone else having issues on colder temperatures? It's pretty much useless here in Finland if it doesn't work outside at all half of the year. With Radians no problems at all in these temps. Any ideas?

Kari, in cold move the tilt, roll and pan axis around a few moment by hand to work the servos up and make them loose. Perhaps the grease is a little viscous at that temp for the preliminary jolt movements of the skyline. I have a small issue with mine when I start up on 1.6, the LED blinks after the initial booting. I get around this by moving the roll axis to about 30º angle (skyline side up) and then reboot from there. Behavior of the 1.6 is pretty good, but i've had an accident and bent my AV130, and thers a little 'grab' midway through roll where a kink in the roll guide outer rail wedges into the guide pulley. I'm knocking it out, and think I'll get some nice footage this weekend.

rcmike

Mine seems like it's going to work pretty well but I haven't had a chance to flight test it due to the weather. It is either warm with 20mph winds or cold and raining/snowing/sleeting lately. I hate winter.

Thats a shame ben, I thought a pro like you would have found it excellent. If you think its a dud, let me know and I'll buy it off you and take a look.
Don't get me wrong. Guys like yourself are getting great results with it and I appreciate the help you gave me. I will likely give it another try at a later date. I just couldn't afford to spend more time on it when I already have something that's working for me. I think that some of my troubles were due to the software not working well on my PC.

Kari

Thanks Nic, i tried moving roll cage around a while before startup but no success. But it looks a bit it's roll axis which is problem. I'm getting a packet of freefly stuff today so i'll try to replace also roll servo to ff one if it works better, maybe there's slightly less viscous grease in ff ones than in savoxs. Maybe i have to attach gas powered hot air gun to my gimbal ;)

vip

20 test flights yesterday...

So far with 1.6 the major bug is is will NOT level itself all the time anymore, I never had this happen with 1.2.
Sometimes if you take off BEFORE it sets it does have a tendancy to level itself more often but not always.
Or if I do radical side to side and it seemed to reset level from initial set up to proper level.
Over all performance is greatly improved.

Seems to me it would be nice to hear from Photohigher on this board once in a while for trouble shooting instead of just the great users.. .
Especially since they want to sell a $4k gimbal that will obviously be powered by the same algorithms that the skyline is powered by.
If they can't make the Skyline work properly why would that $4K Direct drive gimbal be any better. Just seems odd to me they are always so quiet.

Macsgrafs

20 test flights yesterday...

So far with 1.6 the major bug is is will NOT level itself all the time anymore, I never had this happen with 1.2.
Sometimes if you take off BEFORE it sets it does have a tendancy to level itself more often but not always.
Or if I do radical side to side and it seemed to reset level from initial set up to proper level.
Over all performance is greatly improved.

Seems to me it would be nice to hear from Photohigher on this board once in a while for trouble shooting instead of just the great users.. .
Especially since they want to sell a $4k gimbal that will obviously be powered by the same algorithms that the skyline is powered by.
If they can't make the Skyline work properly why would that $4K Direct drive gimbal be any better. Just seems odd to me they are always so quiet.

"We've got your money, so stuff yah"