Tarot 2D Brushless gimbal gains issue

SjaakZwart

Well...I have taken it to the extreme and replaced the stock lens with a Ragecam high resolution lens. The quality rivals my GH3 which I consider one of the best. I'm on the road this morning doing aerial video of the fall colors. I'll try to give you guys a sample of the quality over the weekend.

Which lens exactly do you have? They are quite expensive.... And there the costs to ship them to the Netherlands!

Een helicopter? Da's een bemande drone!

Maverick

Well...I have taken it to the extreme and replaced the stock lens with a Ragecam high resolution lens. The quality rivals my GH3 which I consider one of the best. I'm on the road this morning doing aerial video of the fall colors. I'll try to give you guys a sample of the quality over the weekend.

Have you a link to the particular lens you're referring to...?

SjaakZwart

Is there a way to correct the horizontal startposition of the gimbal when starting it? I know this can be corrected with 'init roll' but this has only effect when you are in mode 1. I want the gimbal in mode 2! Please help!

Een helicopter? Da's een bemande drone!

treeline

Just installed my Tarot on my Phantom and am having a strange issue. The tarot will only tilt from 0 to +32 no matter what my MIN/MAX settings are. Currently I'm using the recommended settings from XAircraft America. I've only hooked up the white wire to T and have disconnected the black wire from (-). Other than that, it seems to operate as if everything is hooked up correctly. It stays stable, I just can't tilt it down!

View attachment 14471

Attachments

• Current-Settings-10-30-13.jpg
    Current-Settings-10-30-13.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 453

treeline

Whoops, the screengrab shows "Motor Reverse" checked under the tilt section but that setting seems to make no difference. Either way, it won't look down.

Just installed my Tarot on my Phantom and am having a strange issue. The tarot will only tilt from 0 to +32 no matter what my MIN/MAX settings are. Currently I'm using the recommended settings from XAircraft America. I've only hooked up the white wire to T and have disconnected the black wire from (-). Other than that, it seems to operate as if everything is hooked up correctly. It stays stable, I just can't tilt it down!

View attachment 18165
\

When you change the values you have to hit enter for them to take. Have you tried that? Just to be sure that I understand fully, you do get some tilt just not full tilt? What radio are you using?

treeline

Thanks for the reply!

I press enter and also save the changes to flash. Yes, it does tilt a bit. I can use the lever on the back of my standard Phantom controller (just purchased the Phantom last week so it's the most current model of the "v1") and it will tilt from looking straight ahead to only looking up to around 32 degrees which is up into the underside of the Phantom. Totally useless--but I can tilt it back down to level at 0 degrees. So I know it's getting the commands.

It's plugged into the Naza-M V2 F2 port as instructed. Again, using the stock Phantom controller. Could it be the Naza settings? I enabled the tilt in the assistant by pressing the "on" button but that's it. The rest of the settings are default.

Thanks for any insight. I really appreciate it.

treeline

I have not. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I am having other issues right now. I upgraded my Naza firmware last night and it's caused an issue with my TX not binding properly. As soon as I have control back, I'll give your suggestions a go on the gimbal and report back.

treeline

Ha! As it turns out, the solution to the Naza/TX issue mentioned above was the solution to the Tarot tilt problem, too!

After upgrading the Naza firmware, the Phantom became locked into failsafe mode which made it appear as if the TX and RX were not communicating or not bound. Normally the Naza assistant should have the RC Receiver Type set to PPM, but that now causes the constant blinking yellow light on the phantom indicating the need to bind the TX and RX (which does nothing). I was just messing around and tried setting the RC receiver type to D-BUS and noticed communication when I moved the sticks around. Had to calibrate the TX, but in the course of calibration I calibrated the tilt lever as well. Now the tilt works properly on the gimbal and I can stop pulling my hair out. Hopefully this will help some other poor tormented soul with a similar problem in the future!

SamaraMedia

Well, I'm about ready to throw in the towel.... After fiddling around for the past 4 hours trying to get the tilt control to work with my Futaba R6303SB receiver and or NAZA FC - I'm cooked. Out of the box the camera is tilted about 5 degrees upward so I haven't even taken it out for a test flight. I finally found the user manual online but still can't make enough sense of the proper s-bus connections to get it to tilt from a control knob. The manual states on line 4) receiver camera control that the S pins are for S-Bus. Ok fine. I have a servo cable pulled into that set of pins but where am I supposed connect that? To the receiver? If so what channel since I'm running S-Bus, does it matter? Or do I plug it into the NAZA? If so where? F2 as some here have suggested? X1? U?

I know for most people it seems like second nature to all this, I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket some days but I can usually figure these things out with the right info. This is my first attempt at using s-bus and was able to properly setup all the right settings from a video by Aerial Media Pros, but finding something that gives me a comprehensive look at connecting the tilt control I'm lost. I don't even see anything about how to recalibrate level like with the AlexMos boards I have. I'm sure I'm missing something here and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...

Frustrated Johnnie

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Well, I'm about ready to throw in the towel.... After fiddling around for the past 4 hours trying to get the tilt control to work with my Futaba R6303SB receiver and or NAZA FC - I'm cooked. Out of the box the camera is tilted about 5 degrees upward so I haven't even taken it out for a test flight. I finally found the user manual online but still can't make enough sense of the proper s-bus connections to get it to tilt from a control knob. The manual states on line 4) receiver camera control that the S pins are for S-Bus. Ok fine. I have a servo cable pulled into that set of pins but where am I supposed connect that? To the receiver? If so what channel since I'm running S-Bus, does it matter? Or do I plug it into the NAZA? If so where? F2 as some here have suggested? X1? U?

I know for most people it seems like second nature to all this, I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket some days but I can usually figure these things out with the right info. This is my first attempt at using s-bus and was able to properly setup all the right settings from a video by Aerial Media Pros, but finding something that gives me a comprehensive look at connecting the tilt control I'm lost. I don't even see anything about how to recalibrate level like with the AlexMos boards I have. I'm sure I'm missing something here and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated...

Frustrated Johnnie

Johnnie, read through the first few pages of this thread (I have had a long day so I'm far too lazy, also my gimbal is sitting on the shelf during my current re-build)

Basically I would suggest bypassing the Naza all together. Look into your futaba settings and find out what output your knob is set to. Plug your servo wire into that channel on your receiver and take the signal only to the pin marked .......uhm R I think it was. I had to pull the pins out of a servo cable and just put in the wire corresponding to signal back into the servo plug so that it hit the R pin. I also used the - and run it to a - pin on the tarot gimbal controller but I think other people don't do that. .........crap let me look back and see what was said i think I'm off somewhere.

Maverick

Have you tried this and set it up like this? http://www.riot.ch/tarot-t-2d-gimbal-configuration-for-pitch-controll-on-a-dji-phantom/

That looks like a pretty comprehensive setup walkthrough. If you confirm that then I will walk you through reflashing the firmware to see if that will solve the issue.

Hi Drew,

I originally had this gimbal working perfectly, using my 'right slider' as my tilt control, via X3 on the WK-M. It was running FW 1.3, and I had 'stick position mode' selected through the GUI.

I took the gimbal off the MR, to replace motors on the MR, and today I connected it all back up for the first time. But for some reason, it's stuck in 'rate mode'. I connected all up to the GUI, and they're communicating to each other, but even though the Default Mode of stick position mode is highlighted, and then "Written", it still performs in stick rate mode...?

Here is a screen shot of my GUI :

View attachment 14620

What could be the problem...? Does it need to be reflashed ? If so, how do I do this procedure...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 409

SamaraMedia

Stauntonflyer, thanks for the advice and link. I tried what was suggested there but still no luck in getting the slider knob on my T8FG to control the gimbal tilt. I was however finally able to get the gimbal to point down about 15 degrees i stead of upward about 5 degrees out of the box. I have the gimbal control in the stick rate mode instead of the stick position mode in order to get the gimbal pointing down. At this point I'm willing to take that as a small victory and go do some tests, finally...I'll get back to the tilt control next week when I get my patience back ;)

Almost Happy Johnnie

Racer38

I think I finally have mine set about right. I still get a little roll drift in forward flight with hard turns but its much better after some adjustments and using the new calibrate function in the latest firmware. Attached are screen shots of my current settings.

View attachment 14625View attachment 14626

Here are a couple of video links, one for the Roll Drift Test and another where I added manual roll mixed with Aileron on my T8J, the manual roll is pretty cool for sport flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD1A3dsxxD0&feature=share&list=UUhK2qrxikmm1gHA_Vv-7KaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqozSwMfC4&feature=share&list=UUhK2qrxikmm1gHA_Vv-7KaA

I'm still doing some fine tuning trying to get the roll to recover a little faster for a level horizon all the time.

I incresed the roll motor power setting then went back and adjusted the P D settings until the motor started to shake, backed it down by 10 and then did a manual calibration. Yesterday I went down to the local Dam and did a 13 minute flight and noticed some camera shaking in a couple of areas, it could be wind induced as it was breezy at altitude. Now I need to work on adding some EXP to get my slow stuff a bit smoother.

You will also notice I fly mine in mode 2 which is required for the manual Roll.

Attachments

• motor setting.jpg
    motor setting.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 344
  • setting-1.jpg
    setting-1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 358
Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Thanks Craig. Where did you get the latest version of the firmware, I've only been able to find the 1.3 version. Also, do I need to go into the motor config screen. I haven't ventured that far yet, do I plug the the USB cable into the motor port on the control board? Are you using sbus on this setup or conventional settings? Are you using a knob to get manual control of the tilt for straight down filming, if so, what are your connections from the gimbal board to the FC? Are you using a NAZA or other FC? Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get it all worked out.

I was able to take a 4 minute flight this morning to do a little testing, felt good to see some nice stock setting results even in the wind. Need to work out my yaw settings for my quad in the wind. Much appreciated on the vid's and screenshots!

John