Tarot 2D Brushless gimbal gains issue

Racer38

Thanks Craig. Where did you get the latest version of the firmware, I've only been able to find the 1.3 version. Also, do I need to go into the motor config screen. I haven't ventured that far yet, do I plug the the USB cable into the motor port on the control board? Are you using sbus on this setup or conventional settings? Are you using a knob to get manual control of the tilt for straight down filming, if so, what are your connections from the gimbal board to the FC? Are you using a NAZA or other FC? Sorry for all the questions but just trying to get it all worked out.

I was able to take a 4 minute flight this morning to do a little testing, felt good to see some nice stock setting results even in the wind. Need to work out my yaw settings for my quad in the wind. Much appreciated on the vid's and screenshots!

John

http://tarot-rc-heli.com/Tarot-RC-Software You can get the latest here.

Yes go in to the motor config, the only thing I changed was on the roll motor, 80 to 85 should work well. Yes plug it into the motor port on the controller.

I am using sbus with a R2008SB Rx, I have the tilt connected to channel 5 on the RX and use the VR knob to adjust it. Of course with a regular RC radio you can configure it alot of different ways by assigning switches and such.

Hope this helps some..

Craig

SamaraMedia

Had a revelation today while trying to get this gimbal to tilt using the slider knob on my T8FG using s-bus. I mistakenly set the gimbal to s-bus in the ZYX-BMGC GUI thinking hey, I'm using s-bus on my quad so it must mean set the gimbal control also - WRONG...Set it to standard receiver type and wala, gimbal controlled by my slider knob )))))))) Now I've just got to adjust so that it doesn't go past vertical and point up slightly. I can't seem to get it to stop short of absolute vertical. The GUI will allow me to go (-) on Min Angle limit but I can't go into the (-) numbers on the Max. I've set my Init Tilt Angle at -10 which works fine in rate mode with no TX input but if I try to connect it and use the slider it seems to override that (-) number. Might have to play with the end-points of my Gear channel.

Thanks to Treeline and Drew at XAircraft America for the screenshots that helped to confirm my suspicion and all the other replies that help to figure it all out. Looking forward to some decent weather tomorrow for some testing.

Happy Johnnie!

Last edited by a moderator:

zeeshan

I had the same issue with large 10" rotors.

ok so it turns out my problem was caused by high frequency vibrations: despite having perfectly balanced props(statically and dynamically balanced that I have jello free video at the brightest light settings and when the gopro is hard mounted to the frame), the little high frequency sound vibrations that make it's way to the gimbal seemed to cause it to go crazy. What I tried today was to change the props to a different size(equally well balanced of course) and all of sudden I'm back in business.

@ohshme perhaps the reason you're all of a sudden experiencing issues is that something went out of balance and is causing some vibrations.

On my F550 Hexa Tarot was working great with 8" rotors, but with 10" ones it was giving strong jello. I think its the strong wind which causes its motors to go crazy. I am today going to rearrange it so that camera goes somewhere in the middle and as much away from the fans' wind as possible. Then I'll see what is the difference.

As a side note, my other belt gimbal from AeroXCraft still works great since it is heavier and closed compartment, stiff due to belt motors, and no jello whatsoever. However its not as stable as Tarot is.

Check my very first Tarot flight here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLzkBVXIZ34

jjdac

Great thread here and extremely helpful, thanks for the all the posts. I am so close with having my gimbal working with tilt control using the FlySky TH-9X controller. I believe my problems are related to the Tarot Gimbal settings and I hope someone else has had this same issue. Below is a video showing my problem. Before clicking on it here is a little background. Using the default gimbal values when I powered on it would go through its startup sequence, but it never stabilized and continued to jitter. It was not until I loaded the settings recommended earlier in this thread that it started working.....Thanks BTW! Roll Setting: Total Gain: 100 Velocity: 185 Integral: 185 Accelerate: 185 Limit: Max 44 Min -44 Reverse Motor checked RC sensitivity 50 Init Roll Angle 0 Tilt Setting Total Gain: 95 Velocity: 75 Integral: 65 Accelerate: 75 Angle Limit Max: 90 ---> changed to 0 degrees which is level on horizon Min: -134 ---> changed to -90 since I do not want to go further than directly down Motor reverse not checked Init Tilt angle 0; The next step was to do the tilt control, which all seems to work except when I start hitting about 45 degrees down from horizontal. It just starts jittering and moves back up again. If I keep the knob in the same position it will try again and do the same thing over and over until I move it to go up again. I tried setting the limit from -90 to -135, but this does not do anything. Anyone else seen this problem? Here is the video.

SamaraMedia

So I've got my gimbal setup pretty good and now I'm looking to complete my FPV/AV quad and looking for some advice. I have a FatShark RCV922 for my main flight camera and a GoPro Hero3 for filming. I recently purchased the Tarot video output cable so that I can also get a look through the camera when composing a shot, especially when filming straight down, but I don't want to you that as my main FPV camera because I want to know how hard my quad is tilting when I hit the sticks and with the gimbal compensating I feel that is not a good situation. I am using a 1.3 setup and thinking about getting a 5.8 setup to use for one of these cameras. What are people doing to power the GoPro using this cable? BEC for 5volts? I have the gimbal running off a 1000 mah 3s battery and 4s 4000 mah flight battery that powers my LawMate vtx.

Thoughts and alternatives are welcome...

Thanks,

John

Racer38

Why not just add an OSD so you can look through the camera and still have an artificial Horizon and such so you know what attitude the bird is in ?

SamaraMedia

That's a thought, I did purchase a DJI OSD to go with the V2 upgrade for my NAZA. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

John

Racer38

That's a thought, I did purchase a DJI OSD to go with the V2 upgrade for my NAZA. I'll look into it.

Thanks!

John

I already have one of the iOSD Mini's waiting to be installed. FatShark has been out of stock everywhere for quite a while and I am still patiently waiting on my order to be filled. This is exactly how I plan to do it, now I just hope its not too much data to take in while trying to frame a video. Of course you can always release the sticks and flip to GPS mode to get your bearings..

Craig

SamaraMedia

Not sure how disorienting that might be with the OSD horizon off kilter and the horizon of the video level? How are you powering your GP3? I've got a Castle Creations BEC that I was using for my PhotoHigher RSGS (cringe) set for 5v.

Racer38

I just run the GP off its internal battery, I can get 2 hrs on the GP and I have a spare battery I bring with. I just dont see the need to power it, I will be powering everything else off the flight pack so I dont want to add more to the drain.

SamaraMedia

Have you run into any trouble using the av out cable? I've just been doing some bench testing today an I'm starting to get some very odd reactions, lockups and now the LCD display is not full working. Camera is only a couple months old and was fine previously to using this new cable. I wasn't planning to power it either but my bench testing , very short videos, 30 seconds max, seem to be draining the internal battery or causing some kind of conflict. Sure don't want to short out the camera.

John

SamaraMedia

Well, seems the ******* av out cable fried my LCD. Started with just a couple lines going vertical but now you can't read anything!!!! Not even sure what the hell setting I'm on. Tried to update the firmware and that didn't help at all. Bought it Best Buy this summer, past the 30 day warranty so this ought to be fun trying to get some kind of support for them or GoPro...

Racer38

Well, seems the ******* av out cable fried my LCD. Started with just a couple lines going vertical but now you can't read anything!!!! Not even sure what the hell setting I'm on. Tried to update the firmware and that didn't help at all. Bought it Best Buy this summer, past the 30 day warranty so this ought to be fun trying to get some kind of support for them or GoPro...

Sorry to hear that John, I havent tried it on mine yet. I did get the Tarot connector and cable for the hook up. What type cable did you use? You may be able to turn on the wifi and set the camera up using the phone app, not the best solution, but it may work.

Craig

SamaraMedia

Stock Tarot cable. Can't use the wifi app since I never setup the wifi in the first place. Live and learn, again...

SamaraMedia

I've tried a couple different times with no luck, my iPhone nor home computer recognizes and new network. The GoPro app on my phone cannot find a camera or device to connect to when I try. Heading to Best Buy this afternoon to see if I can get a replacement camera under the extended warranty. Thanks for the suggestions.

SamaraMedia

Correction - I was able to finally connect using the wifi, apparently I set up a network for the camera when I got it or after downloading the app (just had to remember what the password was), then followed the GoPro app video and blindly went through the menu items by cycling through the power-on and shutter buttons. I do now have a connection and able to make changes to the settings using my iPhone, not ideal, but usable none-the-less.

Thanks for the help Craig!

Might have to buy another one for backup just in case...

SamaraMedia

Best Buy made good on their extended warranty, got a brand new Hero3, now I'm just a little leery about hooking up the av out cable...

Racer38

Best Buy made good on their extended warranty, got a brand new Hero3, now I'm just a little leery about hooking up the av out cable...

Thats awesome, the extended warranty was worth the price !! Now you have me wondering about the Tarot Cable, I have seen posts that people have been using it with success. I would also like to think it was just a coincidence that your lcd screen quit, as it shouldnt have anything to do with the video out. Keep us posted. If my FatShark stuff ever comes off back order I'll be installing mine in a similar configuration.

Craig

BTW where in New England are you located, we should try to get together and do some flying !

SamaraMedia

Yah, I'm going to double check the connections to my LawMate vtx, volts, amps, etc...I have two of these new cables, maybe I will try the other one. I did see a small green line vertically across the my 7" FPV monitor while testing the setup, it was there while I was just viewing, it went away when I hit the record button, but did return when I stopped. The battery icon showed about 70% and seemed to drain quicker than normal but I can't say for sure if that had anything to do with the av out cable.

I'll keep you posted.

John

I'm located in central CT, Bristol, about an hour and fifteen/half away.