Tarot 2D Brushless gimbal gains issue

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I have a Tarot 2-D brush-less gimbal and I can't seem to get it from having a minor tremor. I have been all over the gains and motor configuration but have no real idea what gains I'm looking for. The instructions seem to suggest trial and error which is not working at all for me.

Anyone have one of these working that could give me their gain settings and motor configuration settings. A list or screen shot would be super awesome!

Thanks in advance and if this is already posted somewhere sorry I couldn't find it!

Last edited by a moderator:

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
...figured I would add some info, gimbal is for a GoPro 3 black, mounted on a Tarot 680 Ironman frame, running APM 2.6, Spektrum Dx7s radio and Spektrum 9ch receiver. (Not that much of that is going to affect the gimble software) 4s lipos (which is at the top of the voltage rating for the gimbal)

Thanks again, I have been pulling hair out for 2 days.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
It is more than likely a voltage issue. How are you supplying power? Also please post your gain settings.

I feeding power directly off my power distribution system, 14.8 volts (4s)

My gain settings were all over the place, I kept starting from scratch and bumping sliders up and down till I got to a very minute fast shake.

Just found a video online (sorry closed the tab and don't have the link handy) and caught one frame of the guys settings.

I now have:

Roll Total gain 100, velocity 150, integral 70, accelerate 120
Tilt Total gain 95, Velocity 80, Integral 70, Accelerate 80

Copied from the video and the shaking problem is gone and the gimbal runs pretty smooth.

Only other issue is that when the Hex is tilted and the gimbal nears it's max tilt it jerks hard and freaks out for a second. Some times cutting the power all together needing a reset. Is this anything you have experience with?

Also, thanks for the response!

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Alright it is all working pretty well at this point. Self leveling seems to be ok, only a minor vibration at the extreme ends of the rotation limits. I still have the weird jerk when it hits the max point but I haven't done any small scale fine tuning yet.

I got the tilt working via the knob on my radio after a full day of ripping my hair out. I had to bypass the APM all together and go directly to feeding the signal off my Rx. I'm sure somebody that knows the inner working of the APM 2.6 better could find a way to just let the knob signal pass-through, but not this guy.

I also re-worked my power feed for the Gimbal controller and now supply it with 12v from a small 3s lipo, might swap that for a 12v bec sooner or later.
I'm kinda surprised that it seems as if other people found this gimbal nearly plug and play. The thing needed all kinds of tuning and the complete lack of information on it made it nearly impossible.

Here are the gain settings I am currently using. I agree that figuring out gains should be easier and better documented, but this should get it pretty much rock solid:

Roll Setting:
Total Gain: 100
Velocity: 185
Integral: 185
Accelerate: 185

Limit: Max 44 Min -44
Reverse Motor checked
RC sensitivity 50 (this doesnt matter unless you want to control roll from your TX)
Init Roll Angle 0

Tilt Setting
Total Gain: 95
Velocity: 75
Integral: 65
Accelerate: 75

Angle Limit
Max: 90
Min: -134
Motor reverse not checked
Init Tilt angle 0

Mode 1 should be selected under RC monitor and you should run just the single white servo cable (not the black or red power one) from your chosen port on your receiver to the middle "T" in the CTR port on the gimbal controller to allow control of the tilt.

I strongly recommend using a UBEC for power, because it will supply a constant 12V whereas a 3S batt will vary between 14 and 11 depending on your charge. That can sometimes cause jitters. In addition a UBEC is light, costs very little, and doesn't require recharging!

ohshme

Hello, Im really new to the whole quadcopter and gimbal thing. So I have so many questions. I have been looking for answers all of the net but no luck. So Ill start with the two most important ones. How do I power the gimbal to my phantom? Best way possible, either through another battery being strapped on or through from what I read a BEC system? Also how to I synch and control the gimbal with my remote that came with the phantom? I guess there is an update to do but I have no idea how to do that as well. I plugged in the USB to the gimbal, just guessing what plug because I have no idea, there are no instructions with any of this. Then plugged in the usb in a mac and a PC and nothing happened. does the gimbal have to be powered on? Anyways So many questions so Im sorry but I really want to get this hooked up and going, so any help would be amazing. Thanks

Troy

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Here are the gain settings I am currently using. I agree that figuring out gains should be easier and better documented, but this should get it pretty much rock solid:

Roll Setting:
Total Gain: 100
Velocity: 185
Integral: 185
Accelerate: 185

Limit: Max 44 Min -44
Reverse Motor checked
RC sensitivity 50 (this doesnt matter unless you want to control roll from your TX)
Init Roll Angle 0

Tilt Setting
Total Gain: 95
Velocity: 75
Integral: 65
Accelerate: 75

Angle Limit
Max: 90
Min: -134
Motor reverse not checked
Init Tilt angle 0

Mode 1 should be selected under RC monitor and you should run just the single white servo cable (not the black or red power one) from your chosen port on your receiver to the middle "T" in the CTR port on the gimbal controller to allow control of the tilt.

I strongly recommend using a UBEC for power, because it will supply a constant 12V whereas a 3S batt will vary between 14 and 11 depending on your charge. That can sometimes cause jitters. In addition a UBEC is light, costs very little, and doesn't require recharging!

Thanks a lot! I'll save my current settings a give yours a try. I have everything the same as you aside from the difference in gains. If you have time toss me your motor settings.

I agree with you about the UBEC, I have a halfway decent Hobby shop in town so I can just go pick one up.

Thanks again for the response, I know looking those settings up is kinda a pain.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Hello, Im really new to the whole quadcopter and gimbal thing. So I have so many questions. I have been looking for answers all of the net but no luck. So Ill start with the two most important ones. How do I power the gimbal to my phantom? Best way possible, either through another battery being strapped on or through from what I read a BEC system? Also how to I synch and control the gimbal with my remote that came with the phantom? I guess there is an update to do but I have no idea how to do that as well. I plugged in the USB to the gimbal, just guessing what plug because I have no idea, there are no instructions with any of this. Then plugged in the usb in a mac and a PC and nothing happened. does the gimbal have to be powered on? Anyways So many questions so Im sorry but I really want to get this hooked up and going, so any help would be amazing. Thanks

Troy

ohshme, what gimbal do you have? I would suggest a BEC if the Naza-M can't power it.

ohshme

ohshme, what gimbal do you have? I would suggest a BEC if the Naza-M can't power it.
ya I have the Tarot 2D. Im so new to this. so thanks, also Im trying to update the firmware and motor. does the gimbal have to be connected to the phantom Naza- M? Right now its just powered up and plugged into the PC. I have the software. But it doesnt seem like its doing anything. Also how do I use my remote with it? to control the tilt ? somehow synch it up? Thanks again

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
ohshme,

you will need the UBEC or a battery to supply the 12V, if the tarot is on a 3s system you should be able to tie into the battery power. Although I expect Xaircraft is right about the voltage fluctuations.

the easiest way for me to connect the tilt control was to go strait from the RX signal port (receiver from the radio) for your knob to the T port on the Gimbal control board and I also used the negative to go the the negative rail (do not use the +). I'll see if I can link a video

Just put "How to mount a gimbal on a DJI phantom" into youtube

here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxE1cF8pov4

Holy crap found one with gain settings, could have saved me 2 days ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXS25SCdGMo

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Xaircraft,

I just uploaded your gains and they are way better than what I had. went in and messed around with my motor setting and have the Gimbal working perfectly now. All the issues are basically solved, at extreme limits I get some vibration but I would have to fly pretty hard to get the Hex leaning that hard. Motor settings that seem to work best are..
Roll Tilt

Polar number: 14 14
Power: 70 20

Seems weird to me that the roll would want so much more in the power and gains than the tilt does but, this is where I ended up with everything working smoothly.

Thanks for all the help!

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Xaircraft,

I just uploaded your gains and they are way better than what I had. went in and messed around with my motor setting and have the Gimbal working perfectly now. All the issues are basically solved, at extreme limits I get some vibration but I would have to fly pretty hard to get the Hex leaning that hard. Motor settings that seem to work best are..
Roll Tilt

Polar number: 14 14
Power: 70 20

Seems weird to me that the roll would want so much more in the power and gains than the tilt does but, this is where I ended up with everything working smoothly.

Thanks for all the help!
sorry, something weird with the formatting on my little roll/tilt alignment, the numbers aren't in a column, but I think we can make sense of it.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but that is basically what I have (my power was 60 35 polars both at 14) so I think that looks good. I'm not really sure why the roll would require more power either, but it works so I am not complaining!

Also, glad to hear that the settings worked well for you. It is a pretty sweet gimbal once you get it running right (Especially for 1/3 the price of the DJI Zenmuse!)

Jem

My Tarot 2D gimbal had a slight tremor. Took advice and stuck a 12v BEC between my 4S and the gimbal and now it's rock steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohshme

Thanks for your help stauntonflyer. I still having issues updating the firmware and motor on the Tarot. Has anyone else had problems updating the Tarot Gimbal. I have followed the instructions for the firmware and motor update. It reads my gimbal and I start the update but it never finishes? I let it go for hours and never said successful. Any help would be amazing. Thanks for helping me already. Im having an issue to connecting the tilt it to my white radio. I ordered the little toggle from canada that goes in the back to help control the tilt. Is that what everyone is doing? Thanks again.

Troy

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
Thanks for your help stauntonflyer. I still having issues updating the firmware and motor on the Tarot. Has anyone else had problems updating the Tarot Gimbal. I have followed the instructions for the firmware and motor update. It reads my gimbal and I start the update but it never finishes? I let it go for hours and never said successful. Any help would be amazing. Thanks for helping me already. Im having an issue to connecting the tilt it to my white radio. I ordered the little toggle from canada that goes in the back to help control the tilt. Is that what everyone is doing? Thanks again.

Troy

I haven't messed with updating the firmware at all so I can't help you there, sorry.

I don't know much about the Phantom set up either, alot of the 6-7 channel radios have a knob that people use for the tilt adjustment. I think one of the videos said it was the first video that wasn't using the tilt adjustment, see if you can find the second video maybe?

hope that little bit helps.

GrimmTech

From the youtube vids I have seen of the Phantom, you do need the little toggle for the back. That will give you camera tilt. One guy mentioned pushing a screwdriver in there to turn it and stripped it out.