Tarot 2D Brushless gimbal gains issue

Racer38

So no solutions to the minor jitters? This gimbal is driving me nuts. Cold weather hit and the thing got worse.

You will need to give us a bit more info on your set up. I have never had any jitters from mine, I did have an issue with the wandering horizon but I have that sorted out now.

What is it mounted on (aircraft), are the props balanced, what are your motor power levels and your gain levels. Usually if its jittering its a high gain level and you will be able to feel the motor shaking a bit with it sitting on a table. Tell us more and we will attempt to help! Also if you have any links to your video's that would be helpful as well.

Craig

jjdac

So no solutions to the minor jitters? This gimbal is driving me nuts. Cold weather hit and the thing got worse.
I am seeing "jitter" issues myself, you can see my earlier post on page 9 of 11 of this thread where I give all the details on my situation. In my case, I was seeing a lot more jitters until I used the PID settings that were suggest earlier in the post. However, I still see the jitter or shake as the camera tilt is adjusted to about 45 degrees from the horizontal. Can you explain your setup and what jitter you are seeing, maybe someone can help us both out. John

Racer38

I am seeing "jitter" issues myself, you can see my earlier post on page 9 of 11 of this thread where I give all the details on my situation. In my case, I was seeing a lot more jitters until I used the PID settings that were suggest earlier in the post. However, I still see the jitter or shake as the camera tilt is adjusted to about 45 degrees from the horizontal. Can you explain your setup and what jitter you are seeing, maybe someone can help us both out. John

So if you unplug the usb video cable from the camera do you still have the tilt problem ? I dont consider that jitter, I consider minute shaking of the camera as a jitter. I would try to increase the tilt motor power a little as with the extra weight of the cable it may be causing it to jump back like that due to balance issues.

jjdac

So if you unplug the usb video cable from the camera do you still have the tilt problem ? I dont consider that jitter, I consider minute shaking of the camera as a jitter. I would try to increase the tilt motor power a little as with the extra weight of the cable it may be causing it to jump back like that due to balance issues.
The minute shake of the camera is also what I consider jitter. In the video you will see the camera is in the stabilized position. It is only when it tilts down that it starts to shake. With this in mind, I thought about what you said. I agree that these units are balanced very well to the GoPro, but if this changes even slightly it could cause this "jitter". However, I would expect this cable to be OK since it is a Tarot part. Still, I decided to check the cable. I provided more slack for the cable, reseated it and tighten the set screw on the camera mount to motor. Now there is no shake!!! So, either I was restricting the motion when it was tilting or the set screw had slipped causing it to be unbalanced??? Not sure, but all appears to be working, so thanks for that suggestion. John

Racer38

The minute shake of the camera is also what I consider jitter. In the video you will see the camera is in the stabilized position. It is only when it tilts down that it starts to shake. With this in mind, I thought about what you said. I agree that these units are balanced very well to the GoPro, but if this changes even slightly it could cause this "jitter". However, I would expect this cable to be OK since it is a Tarot part. Still, I decided to check the cable. I provided more slack for the cable, reseated it and tighten the set screw on the camera mount to motor. Now there is no shake!!! So, either I was restricting the motion when it was tilting or the set screw had slipped causing it to be unbalanced??? Not sure, but all appears to be working, so thanks for that suggestion. John

Well I am glad that worked out for you, I know one one of my other gimbals I had to increase the power to the tilt motor for the extra weight on the bottom of the camera, its amazing what just a little change in weight will do ..

Craig

remltr

Hi everyone. New forum member here.

I just purchased this gimbal and have installed it on a Blade 350 QX. I have camera shake when tilting the quad up as in a climb. It only takes about 5 degrees of tilt for the shake to begin. It will also roll as a result of this tilt. When tilted down or rolling the quad left or right everything seems steady.

I have loaded (written to flash) and verified that I am using the settings from the first page of this thread. The same scenario occurs when using the original settings.

What effect, if any, does the set screw next to the sensor have?

I am not intending to use a RX to control tilt. Just mounting and flying.

Not having the greatest of instructions on how to use the software, I don't know where to go from here.

I would appreciate any instruction on how to proceed to correct this issue.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

zeeshan

I am facing same vibrations on Roll motor

ok so it turns out my problem was caused by high frequency vibrations: despite having perfectly balanced props(statically and dynamically balanced that I have jello free video at the brightest light settings and when the gopro is hard mounted to the frame), the little high frequency sound vibrations that make it's way to the gimbal seemed to cause it to go crazy. What I tried today was to change the props to a different size(equally well balanced of course) and all of sudden I'm back in business.

@ohshme perhaps the reason you're all of a sudden experiencing issues is that something went out of balance and is causing some vibrations.

I have tried everything but still the vibrations not going away on my flame wheel F550. I can tell its the roll motor. It was better with 8" rotors, not with 10" rotors. So I wanted to ask what size rotors you switched from to which new size?

Your post is the only post which I could find somewhat solving this issue. Does everybody else who bought Tarot gimbal had it working perfectly fine out of the box? Can't believe it. I am having hard time with this gimbal and all my videos due to this jello are useless now. Though I have spent days tweaking the gain settings and what else not.

jjdac

remltr, you appear to be running into a problem I was having and posted on earlier in this thread. There are several cables that attach to the camera area/motors/etc. back to the board. I found that you have to be really careful how much slack there is in these cables, otherwise you will get a camera shake. In my case it was at 45 degrees, I even provided a video. In my case, I simply rechecked the routing, provided more slack and the problem went away. I think any slight pull on the suspended camera will cause this to start happening. Hope that helps.

jjdac

I too am still having issues with the video and it definitely was not working out of the box. I am still dealing with a slight up/down shake that is still there even when the motors are off and it is sitting on the ground. I am thinking I need to start looking at the tilt settings, but I am using the same settings as suggested earlier in the post that others are successfully using. This makes me think I either have a noise issue on the board itself causing this or a bad motor. Here is a video of the shake you can see. I slowed down the video to half speed to see the up down movement better. At the beginning you can see the shake on the ground and this is still apparent with the motors off. Next you can see the continuous shake. At this point I do not believe this is the mounting of the gimbal to my airframe, unbalanced props or settings. Anyone have any ideas based on their experience with this issue? I am going to check the settings again and rebalance props, but I might need to order a new motor and/or electronics to test my suspicions if this does not work.

stauntonflyer

Psychopath Labratories
I too am still having issues with the video and it definitely was not working out of the box. I am still dealing with a slight up/down shake that is still there even when the motors are off and it is sitting on the ground. I am thinking I need to start looking at the tilt settings, but I am using the same settings as suggested earlier in the post that others are successfully using. This makes me think I either have a noise issue on the board itself causing this or a bad motor. Here is a video of the shake you can see. I slowed down the video to half speed to see the up down movement better. At the beginning you can see the shake on the ground and this is still apparent with the motors off. Next you can see the continuous shake. At this point I do not believe this is the mounting of the gimbal to my airframe, unbalanced props or settings. Anyone have any ideas based on their experience with this issue? I am going to check the settings again and rebalance props, but I might need to order a new motor and/or electronics to test my suspicions if this does not work.

JJdac, look at the settings listed on page 2. I tweaked forever trying to get the jitters out of my Gimbal and only solved it by using the settings recommended there. It seems that tweaking the by trial and error is an act in futility.

I also have the same issue with the gimbal freaking out once it hits the max tilt. If I bank (or tilt the Hex) hard it will actually jump all over then shut itself down, I have to power cycle it to get it back. I have been working on a long re-build so I haven't messed with the Gimbal for a while now but I'm interested to see if anyone else has this problem or has solved it.

The T2D really requires a vibration free platform to get the best video possible. That is why the video from my X650 Pro is so stable. It does not require balancing props or tweaking to get it vibration free because it is engineered to be that way. After updating the gains for the gimbal that I shared, you can be 99% sure that it is not the gimbal that is the issue. For best results you need a rail mount with a dampener, but the small 350 size quads like the phantom and blade do not have enough clearance or excess thrust to bear the weight and must be just about perfect to get good video out of.

I spent more than a week finding those settings. You won't find better ones! Also, as stated the slack is very important. Also be sure to take out the big screw if you are using the GoPro power/video cable. It is a counterbalance and should be left in if you are not using the power/video cable.

I have found that the gimbal just doesn't like the extreme ends of the control range. It is best to set them up so that you can quickly unplug it if you need to calibrate or tilt your rig more than 30ish degrees. In normal flight you should never hit those ranges.

SamaraMedia

I've been tweaking and testing my setup for a couple weeks with mostly success. I would have to agree with Drew on the vibration claim. When I first setup my quad I had the gimbal mounted on the front of the machine to keep the props out of view but I think I was getting a little vibration since the gimbal was out on the end of it. Props are balanced so what high frequency vibration I was getting might have been the cause of slight tilt jitters. I uploaded his firmware PID settings but still had tilt jitters in forward flight. I have now moved the gimbal mount to a lower proximity which will also lower my COG.
View attachment 15103View attachment 15104
First photo is where I originally mounted the camera, the second is my new position. I'm using the Tarot AV out cable and strapping a Layer Lens with polarizing filter on the front for protection. This may be throwing off the balance on the gimbal but some other flyers on this thread stated they are using the LL with no issues to PID's. Here is a recent video I shot over the last few days, despite the cold and snow I was able to get some decent footage. Still have some yaw tuning to workout.

http://youtu.be/CC856Y1hHrk

Attachments

• Quad.jpg
    Quad.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Quad-2.jpg
    Quad-2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 460

stanleyy

I have fixed problem with Tarot gimbal last week... how? I have thrown it into the trash :)
No matter what I did, I was simply not able to get rid of those nasty vibrations and buzz. I tried various "recommended" settings, played with motor gains (even lowering to 40/20 didn't help), made a lot of test flights and then .... I bought Zenmuse H3 and now I am getting silk smooth and vibration free video. No shakes, no vibraions, no horizon drift.

Savatgy

DJI Phantom, Tarot Gimbal T-2D, Running 1.3 firmware, Stock settings Roll 100,150,70,120, 44, -44. Tilt 95,80,70,80,0,-104. Motor is set to 14, 14, 70, 20.
Bit of background when this gittering, twitching happened. First time happened up at the mountain, 20 degrees F. We thought it was the new carbon fiber propellers, took them off and ran well with stock propellers (not in cold), no twitch, micro vibrations. Then flew with no problem in warmer weather. Then cold snap came in and the gimbal started twiching, micro vibrations. At this point we realized that the problem was with the gimbal and not propellers.

I've gone through this whole forum and there have been only a few who have mentioned cold as being a problem. What causes the stock settings to be changed in the first place? Does battery power have anything to do with micro gitters?

Thanks

the settings on page 1 and 2 (Gimbal controller and Motor controller) completely got rid of the jittering I was having. On boot with out the motors armed the tilt motor would vibrate pretty bad. If i moved it with my hand a bit it would stop but would randomly appear and disappear mid flight. Only did one test since changing the settings but no sign of it yet. Thanks again!!

the settings on page 1 and 2 (Gimbal controller and Motor controller) completely got rid of the jittering I was having. On boot with out the motors armed the tilt motor would vibrate pretty bad. If i moved it with my hand a bit it would stop but would randomly appear and disappear mid flight. Only did one test since changing the settings but no sign of it yet. Thanks again!!

Never mind, I spoke too soon. While the vibration is much less noticeable it is still there even before the motors arm. I will keep playing with the settings and see if i can get it any better. Anybody hear from tarot about this issue? Seems like an extremely common issue plenty of people on here and RCG. I ordered this gimbal after seeing some test footage that looked pretty good, If I had know it wouldn't actually be plug and play I would have just spent a bit more and got the zenmuse. I really hope this gimbal doesn't end up in the pile with my other failed gimbals.

I've got two of these gimbals. i purchased the first one a while ago and the second one more recently (October 2013) the newer gimbal has this vibration issue from the tilt motor that seems to be more common than not. the original gimbal i bought is glass smooth and its the reason i bought the second one.
i've managed to reduce my jitter/vibration by adjusting the tilt motor's power setting down, then tuning the gains from there. it's not noticeable in video now, but i can still feel it when i fought either the carbon plate or the tilt motor it's self...

really not happy with the consistency...

cheers,
Brian

acevesandres

BEC for Tarot 2D and TS352 TX 500mw?

My Tarot 2D gimbal had a slight tremor. Took advice and stuck a 12v BEC between my 4S and the gimbal and now it's rock steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!,

Im about to buy the following Bec: http://www.helipal.com/bec-for-fpv-system-3s-8s-in-12v-2-5a-out.html

The Voltage all checks out ok as compatible with T2-D, but what about the 2.5A? …T-2D operates anywhere from 200mA-500mA would this be a problem? Do you think this will also be compatible with the following FPV Transmitter: http://www.helipal.com/boscam-5-8ghz-fpv-system-tx-500mw.html

Thanks!