Tarot 2D Brushless gimbal gains issue

I have a ND4 over the lens right now. I use a SJ4000 camera. I also use a video out cable, but the wire is silicone... so it doesn't get stiff in the cold. I don't think the damper balls are the problem, because as you can see from my videos, the "effects" come and go, as well as change how they are displayed. If the damper balls were the issue, the effects would pretty much be there all the time, yes? I think it's controller driven and there's gotta be some way we can fix this without me having to wait until April (when warmer temperatures arrive).

I have the camera platform completely isolated from the frame with rubber also. I ordered some sorbothane to sandwich in there too... no hurt in trying. But I don't truly believe that's the issue.

So it basically has two degrees of isolation already. Rubber between platform and frame... and rubber balls.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure that the effects wouldn't come and go with dampening issues. Sometimes I've had very smooth footage, but then jello when moving in another direction. Sounds like you have your mount secured well, so not saying that's it - but always worth looking at.

If it turns out the temp effect on the controller is the issue - and I am not sure there is an easy answer. If you have acclimated the MR/Gimbal to the weather prior to the flights, that's about the best I can think of.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I am up here in Vermont with some seriously cold weather, and have definitely dealt with the temp issues.

Also: forgot to ask what frame rate you're shooting at?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm shooting at 1080P / 30fps. The fastest the camera will allow.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and buy a gopro. SJ4000 has nice footage though.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
60fps or 120fps would help eliminate rolling shutter, but it would be a bummer to invest in a new camera, when you're happy with the current one. Especially not knowing conclusively why is creating the issues.

I just wish it would be 60F here one day soon in Wisconsin. Then I could put to bed the "maybes" for good. If it works outside in 60F weather, I then know it's the temperature and not my platform vibrating. Did you watch the video of it indoors? The video was rock solid and perfect. I know there's less light indoors, but I removed the ND4 filter for that shoot to compensate... it's gotta be close to accurate.

Frustrating, because I want to shoot video outside in winter too.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I saw that video. Which is why I was originally thinking the controller/IMU was the issue - with them being known to be effected by the cold.

But your dampening system will also be effected by cold - leaving those 2 options open, even after your indoor test. Personally, I think the controller is more likely.

Oh, I used to have my camera hard mounted to the frame (well it sat on a plate with (4) vibration balls) and there was zero jello or vibrations. I just wanted a gimbal to smooth out the up/down and left/right pitches that happen when you're flying.

Does that make it more likely it's the controller/IMU?

Sorry I forgot to mention that initially -- it just dawned on me.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's any gains that will fix this in cold weather...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Unfortunately, that hard mount test doesn't natrow it down because the gimbal mount could still be the issue.

i really don't think any gains would counteract the cold. I'm no pro, but it seems to me it's not a matter of the motors acting too slow/fast (or anything adjusted via PID), but more the functionality of the components on the board itself freaked out by temperature - which means it won't even be able to judge correctly what those gains should be doing.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you are going to get Alexmos I would make sure you deal with a reputable retailer who sells a sanctioned product. They have a list of retailers on their site.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
someone should try running a 12v lightbulb to warm the electronics using a 3 cell lipo. if it fixed the problems then you're on your way to finding a solution. if it still does it then the cold is changing tolerances in the mechanicals and that's a different solution but you'll know what you've got and what needs to be addressed.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Bart: you mean a small bulb facing the electronics to provide heat? That's not a bad idea if you could TIG it up to aim at the pertinent areas.