XAircraft SuperX

Electro 2

Does anybody know if SuperX can fly one motor down?

Sort of. This was documented in the other forum a while back by the US importer. Only valid in the hex configuration and it depends on which motor fails. If its M3 or M6, (far left, far right), you're OK, it flys as an X4 with a reduced performance envelope. If it's another motor, you're toast. Octos weren't discussed in this particular thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

octocine

Such a bummer Kloner. I'm very familiar with that sinking feeling after a crash. The worst part for me is usually not knowing what caused the crash. I can relate to almost wishing it went down in the ocean. I've swam for mine in the past and l often wonder now if it's worth putting on the flotation. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon and I think it shows real character to share so everyone can learn.

tombrown1

Sort of. This was documented in the other forum a while back by the US importer. Only valid in the hex configuration and it depends on which motor fails. If its M3 or M6, (far left, far right), you're OK, it flys as an X4 with a reduced performance envelope. If it's another motor, you're toast. Octos weren't discussed in this particular thread.

That's all I needed to hear. I'm canceling my order. Thanks for the heads-up.

fltundra

I don't think that is right, care to explain why it would matter looking at the hexa layout. Maybe Drew will post and confirm either way. Putting my hexa build on hold till I get an answer.

View attachment 21709

Av8Chuck

That's all I needed to hear. I'm canceling my order. Thanks for the heads-up.

The SuperX is bound by the same physics as all other controllers. There are a lot of variables as to whether a HEX will fly on five motors, there's a high probability that depending on the AUW and CG of a HEX that it will crash with other controllers that claim they can fly a HEX with a motor out.

I think the best redundancy regardless of controller would be either a Y6 or X8. I have not tested the SuperX in this configuration but would be surprised if you couldn't control it for a safe landing.

kloner

Aerial DP
I was just looking at data to see what the thrust was and what shoulda happened. the AUW was 12,700 grams, according to the motor data each motor has 4,620 grams of thrust, times 6 is 27,720, 5 motors would be 23,100, 4 motors would be 18,480...... it wasn't like the rig didn't have the power to do more than what happened here, hell a spin out of control woulda made me happier than a vertical hover, them never last long.

Is what it is and i'm moving on. blamed tiger motors and the esc i'm running, tossing it all aside and moving on to a full blown kde setup.... but this time i think i'll try something else flight controller wise. just not happy with it's emergency procedures, the dji is at least made for it.

fltundra

I was just looking at data to see what the thrust was and what shoulda happened. the AUW was 12,700 grams, according to the motor data each motor has 4,620 grams of thrust, times 6 is 27,720, 5 motors would be 23,100, 4 motors would be 18,480...... it wasn't like the rig didn't have the power to do more than what happened here, hell a spin out of control woulda made me happier than a vertical hover, them never last long.

Is what it is and i'm moving on. blamed tiger motors and the esc i'm running, tossing it all aside and moving on to a full blown kde setup.... but this time i think i'll try something else flight controller wise. just not happy with it's emergency procedures, the dji is at least made for it.

I read somewhere on diydrones forum, that a least 2.5 times thrust to weight ratio was needed to fly with one motor out on a hex.

tombrown1

Wkm never would've done that. It still might have crashed but at least it would have put up a spinning fight. Still seems strange to me. When one motor went out didn't the exact opposite motor go full bore? If it knew there was motor out then the adjacent motors should have ramped up not the opposite one.

It seems like something was telling the rig to go 100% in one direction. Either the radio or fc.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont think the 2.5x theory is right. With 1 motor out on a hex and to maintain hover at 50% throttle, the 2 adjacent motors would have to do the lift of the 1 dead motor plus whatever the decrease in leverage is. Man, that was not worded nicely, sorry, but maybe you get where I'm going. Given that the average heli can easily fly at 50-60% throttle, you would have more than enough with your given setup for the adjacent motors to compensate lift wise. Regardless, even in the event that it took 100% throttle to hold up the side with the outage, the controller would lower the throttle on the opposite side to keep it level. This would mean the heli would come down with a slight yaw, but descend at a non catastrophic rate. I think something else goes on we see a motor out. On my first Xaircraft v8 one prop broke mid flight and ended up taking out 5 props in the process. It still landed without breaking anything but the props. Admittedly it was on sand and I got lucky. I also had a prop nut fly off about 6' off teh ground on my hex and it just slightly drifted in that direction and came down with no faults. The other time my Xaircraft decided to go dead on 1 of the motor ports and I only heard a slight tone difference in the sound of the compensating motor but it flew the same. Anyone want to buy an Xaircraft FC1212 controller? $25 :)

kcsajtai

I tested it on a y6. One of my escs flamed out midflight, the whole thing looked like a well tuned nitro heli, but the superx managed to land it gracefully. It was less aggressive with one motor out, but everything else was under total control. :)

Dax

Does anyone out there know the best ESC's to use for the Foxtech 5008 motor? I am using the Hobbywing 40A flyfun ESC's and I had 4 out of 6 fail on me. so I am looking for a more reliable ESC.
[h=1][/h]

tombrown1

Does anyone out there know the best ESC's to use for the Foxtech 5008 motor? I am using the Hobbywing 40A flyfun ESC's and I had 4 out of 6 fail on me. so I am looking for a more reliable ESC.
[h=1][/h]

Hmmm...we have been flying those escs on our huge x8 without incident for quite awhile now. Running Navigator 4012s and 14" props.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
As it was explained to me, you dont want a "smart" esc. Unlike aircraft you want the esc to do what it is told immediately without correcting or modifying the command. This was why the castle's were actually NOT a good esc for a lot of controllers on multirotors, Something like the plush or hobbywing should be good for the application since they are "dumb" esc's. they just take the command and execute it. Where things apparently get more complex is with higher pole count motors. I dont know this for a fact but I think in general it is more critical to match your esc to your motor than it is to the flight controller.

fltundra

That's just silly, Castle has been around way before hobbycrap was even a brand. And Castle's MR ESC's work flawless wth high pole count pancake motors.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It may be silly. I really dont know what makes some esc's work and some not. But this was exactly what Al from Hoverfly told me when asking him what the best esc's were. I do remember the problem with Castle was temporary, maybe a firmware issue at the time.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That's just silly, Castle has been around way before hobbycrap was even a brand. And Castle's MR ESC's work flawless wth high pole count pancake motors.

Yes and no, my extended arm Disco with 22 pole pancakes flew better with the Castle MR ESCs than it did on SimonK ESCs but still not as well as with "normal" motors on any type of ESC. That is they worked well right up until one of them burst into flames while executing a turn to come in for a landing! I have to say, that's an experience I've never had before, I've had connectors fail and ESCs lose a phase but never had one catch fire for no apparent reason.

I swapped back to a set of all nFET Chinese ESCs, next they will be getting the BLHeli firmware port for Atmel processors which allegedly can be easily tuned to work well with high pole count motors, unlike SimonK that requires recompiling and uploading to change anything. I'm using the BLHeli on a few different Silabs based ESCs and it does seem to work much better than any other ESC/firmware combo I've used so time will tell if this is the ultimate answer but I will not trust the Castle ESCs again, their reputation for pyrotechnic displays on RC Helis while in flight seems to continue with the M/R line of products.

Ken