XAircraft SuperX

Dhardjono

thanks Jeff. I had switched back when drew confirmed it should be standard. Miscommunication between he and I. Figures that's the only thing that stopped the annoying beep.

Problem now is - decided to test the superx back on the other quad/Tx/RX/ESC(with BEC) setup where it worked before. No dice. Same thing as the hex (without the beeps). It starts up. Does it's dance. LED starts showing flight mode correctly etc. no motors/throttle response.

Perhaps the update to Standard went amiss? No idea.

I thought stepping ping away from it last night was a healthy move. Maybe I didn't step FAR enough away??? :)

i have almost same problem i bought another superx put it on my qav 400 30 amp simon k with bec esc and it starts but it's not stable even when i put in xscope so i forgot to take the red wire out from the esc should take that out since you don't need it . now i try to put it on the 650 v4 with hobby wing esc and now i have 3 motor beeping and only motor 3 runs not sure if the red wire ruin the controller v02 but that my problem now . I change to naza m and it working fine so there some thing i did to the super x i order another controller v02 box hoping it's will fix it.Maybe the red wire short the controller even alishamo from youtube say if you have bec esc must take the red wire out and if you have opto no.Today i will try to put it back on my qav 400 with simon k and red wire out.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
thanks Jeff. I had switched back when drew confirmed it should be standard. Miscommunication between he and I. Figures that's the only thing that stopped the annoying beep.

Problem now is - decided to test the superx back on the other quad/Tx/RX/ESC(with BEC) setup where it worked before. No dice. Same thing as the hex (without the beeps). It starts up. Does it's dance. LED starts showing flight mode correctly etc. no motors/throttle response.

Perhaps the update to Standard went amiss? No idea.

I thought stepping ping away from it last night was a healthy move. Maybe I didn't step FAR enough away??? :)

I had it happen on my x8, when some motors would start and others not. It was when I was setting gains on the computer and then going out and testing. Just figured out that it was happening when I had lowered the gain to .8 and then had my dial turned down. When I put the dial back to mid point, all motors spun up at .8. May try turning your gains up or you dial up. Just a wild thought.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
How's the weather? Maybe its time for a nice long ride?

Indeed it is! :) Unfortunately, rain....

Turns out I got it to work on the old quad with the old radio. Any time this superx is plugged into the hex with Hobby Wing ESCs it starts making a racket (the beeps are literally driving me inane!).

I need to confirm this OPTO setup. Drew thinks it should work, Tundra thought not. I have not put multimeter to FC yet to see if it's outputting any juice...I guess that's next.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I had it happen on my x8, when some motors would start and others not. It was when I was setting gains on the computer and then going out and testing. Just figured out that it was happening when I had lowered the gain to .8 and then had my dial turned down. When I put the dial back to mid point, all motors spun up at .8. May try turning your gains up or you dial up. Just a wild thought.

I'll give that a shot. At this point I'm sorta trying anything. Right now no motors are spinning. I had a couple spin right after a stick cal - but it was random and could not be repeated.

I'm back to trying these things with the old futaba that works on the quad. Figured that shoudl take one change out of the equation.

The red wires (all 3 wires actually) are definitely in the FC from the ESC servo. I had thought that was correct since it needs to be triggered on that side to let it know signal is present???

EDIT: no luck with the gains down and twisting the rotary gain around to see if it helped. Thanks for the idea though.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why isn't Drew responding on the forums to these questions? That always worries me.

I think I am gonna hold out for the Synapse before being another test pilot for more Chinese products. These kinds of problems should be addressed in the manuals, in clear english. there is no excuse to have these kinds of questions un answered in the manuals. Or maybe you guys arent reading the manuals? I doubt that. But something as simple as what ESC's to use should be tested by the manufacturers and disclosed before letting everyone crash their product.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Why isn't Drew responding on the forums to these questions? That always worries me.

I think I am gonna hold out for the Synapse before being another test pilot for more Chinese products. These kinds of problems should be addressed in the manuals, in clear english. there is no excuse to have these kinds of questions un answered in the manuals. Or maybe you guys arent reading the manuals? I doubt that. But something as simple as what ESC's to use should be tested by the manufacturers and disclosed before letting everyone crash their product.

Drew has been great with responding to my emails. We have been going back and forth since the issue started. Of course I can't get any answers from HobbyPartz (with a Z!!!) where I bought the ESCs. The kicker is that I chose these ESCs specifically because I knew them to work with the sunnysky motors. Never dawned on me that the superx would be the fly in the ointment...

i have another set of ESCs here that are also OPTO - so I don't know that I want to desolder everything from the PDB, solder up a new set - just to find that the same issue arises.

I need clarification on:

1. OPTO ESC gets what it needs from superx?
2. All 3 servo wires (+/- and signal) on each channel should be connected to the superx?
3. In still sane....

Clarification on question #3 seems paramount right about now :)

Zirt57

Soooo...you think the manufacturer should test every ESC out there and all future ESCs as they come out. What about all the motors and combinations there of? Maybe they should also be testing BECs...and frames. Will you put that same expectation on the manufacturer of the Synapse?

My point of view is a manufacturer should only be expected to test their own equipment. Your view may differ.

Jeff

Posted from my phone using Tapatalk Pro. :)

Dhardjono

If you buy 650 pro quad with electronic the superx will work perfect 650 pro has there own tiger motor and there own esc it even tell on the instruction where to put the red blue and black to esc from the motor so that it not the wrong way so the instruction on that is great.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you buy 650 pro quad with electronic the superx will work perfect 650 pro has there own tiger motor and there own esc it even tell on the instruction where to put the red blue and black to esc from the motor so that it not the wrong way so the instruction on that is great.

Unfortunately that doesn't get me closer to getting this HEX to work :)

Zirt57

Unfortunately that doesn't get me closer to getting this HEX to work :)

I think he was responding to IrisAerial's post. ;-)

Jeff

p.s. I'll do more thinking on your problem. Going down to the workshop shortly where I do my best thinking.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think he was responding to IrisAerial's post. ;-)

Jeff

p.s. I'll do more thinking on your problem. Going down to the workshop shortly where I do my best thinking. 

Sorry Dhardjono, been one of those days :)

Zirt57

Drew has been great with responding to my emails. We have been going back and forth since the issue started. Of course I can't get any answers from HobbyPartz (with a Z!!!) where I bought the ESCs. The kicker is that I chose these ESCs specifically because I knew them to work with the sunnysky motors. Never dawned on me that the superx would be the fly in the ointment...

i have another set of ESCs here that are also OPTO - so I don't know that I want to desolder everything from the PDB, solder up a new set - just to find that the same issue arises.

I need clarification on:

1. OPTO ESC gets what it needs from superx?
2. All 3 servo wires (+/- and signal) on each channel should be connected to the superx?
3. In still sane....

Clarification on question #3 seems paramount right about now :)

Thought I would do a little searching. You can't be the first person who has used OPTO ESCs with a SuperX. So far I found this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27393828&postcount=1746 I'm still searching. Also I'll ask Jingchen tonight (it's 2:00am in China right now) if they have an answer to this question.

Jeff

p.s. I bet this is the same problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcadTllUATA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

fltundra

Found this:
I am going to split hairs here and say an ESC can be "OPTO" and still supply it's logic circuit the 5v required. OPTO simply means that there is electrical isolation at the throttle input from the ESC provided by optical coupling. In the real world my guess is calling an ESC OPTO that doesn't require an outside 5v supply is bs.

There's no voltage+ on the motors output rail. only signal and ground.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Found this:

There's no voltage+ on the motors output rail.

Thanks Tundra. I now I have read that people are using Opto with this FC (of course they are!)

I just put a multimeter to it and saw the same. How are people powering their opto ESCs???

Zirt57

I just put a multimeter to it and saw the same. How are people powering their opto ESCs???

OK, it appears to be a problem with the version 1.08 of the firmware. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27514944&postcount=1899 Send an email to support@xaircraft.com stating the problem and asking if they have a solution yet. I see there was a special beta version of 1.08 (I would guess they would call it 1.09 upon release). Anyway, I'll also ask Jingchen about this if I get a chance to chat with him tonight.

Jeff

p.s. wiring should of the OPTOs should be the same as regular ESCs.

fltundra

One of my esc's powers the other 3.:) When i purchased mine, they weren't available as an option on all 4. I can get them either way, with or without bec now though.

Dhardjono

thought i would do a little searching. You can't be the first person who has used opto escs with a superx. So far i found this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27393828&postcount=1746 i'm still searching. Also i'll ask jingchen tonight (it's 2:00am in china right now) if they have an answer to this question.

Jeff

p.s. I bet this is the same problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcadtlluata&feature=youtube_gdata_player

my hobbywing 30 amh esc is opto type with no bec and having problem like motorreserve

i must try again the simonk see if it works i might have just bought the vo2 control box for nothing!

Zirt57

Normally the BEC in an ESC powers the flight controller/RX. Because the SuperX has a built in BEC, it gets it's power directly from the battery, no bec in the ESC is required. The ESC get's it's power directly from the battery. The OPTOs just don't "output" power to the FC like regular ESCs, nor is it needed.

Jeff

fltundra

All esc's that i no of, have to have 5 volts to run. If none of your esc's have a built in bec 's then you will need an external one.