XAircraft SuperX

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
SR: you don't want to dampen the superX as much as you want to make sure everything else about the MR is stable - leaving you with low vibes even on a hard mounted FC.

I'm going to mess around with some higher gains too. I've had them all over for smaller MRs, but haven't messed too much with the Vulcan. Time for so e experiments.

noid1037

Im having an issue with my quad XA Controller with KDE ESC's. I bought the KDE ESC to replace the Spyder OPTO ESC that would calibrate but not arm after many changes in the setup and many attempts to calibrate the Spektrum DX9.

This evening I tried it outdoors and indoors. With the same results.. I havent seen/heard the XA working like this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-U6YVoeFPc

Do these KDE ESC need to calibrated and is there a published process?

fltundra

Im having an issue with my quad XA Controller with KDE ESC's. I bought the KDE ESC to replace the Spyder OPTO ESC that would calibrate but not arm after many changes in the setup and many attempts to calibrate the Spektrum DX9.

This evening I tried it outdoors and indoors. With the same results.. I havent seen/heard the XA working like this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-U6YVoeFPc

Do these KDE ESC need to calibrated and is there a published process?
"Fast Red flashing" System error: module communication failure or RC signal
incorrect.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-ESC-and-Flight-Controller-Compatibility-List

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

it is pretty important to get the g knob set to around 20% and increase the rest of the gains to smooth it out.

Is there a chance there is a winding getting shorted or a prop not nice and balanced? vibration levels under .5?

I've tweaked it so my gain knob is showing 0% on the log. Am I doing it wrong then? Should it be at +20%?

Last edited by a moderator:

Not to be off subject but, anyone planning on picking up a Align G3 gimbal, if it works it will be a great way to have your own zenmuse style gimbal on a reliable FC. I think I might just have to get one and be a beta tester!

kloner

Aerial DP
mediaguru, you want 20% for best results. You might see a tad bit of oscillation in ground affect, normal as long as it cleans up post ground affect.

noid1037

The beeping is coming from the motors Dualsky XM4010MR 6.5. I checked the throttle on the Spektrum DX-9, the settings are -100 and 100 linear. From reading the KDE ESC do not calibration. I looked around why motors continously beep and many people said it had to do with the throttle settings on the transmitter. The trim was modified on the throttle many times to see if a spot. I did do the throttle calibration and the beeping does continue.

Any thoughts on the constant beeping from the motors, and a solution to the problem?

Thanks all!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would contact KDE directly and see if they can help - because sadly this is an issue that myself and others have had with the superX, and XAircraft doesn't seem willing to address it.

noid1037

Thank you Motopreserve.... I sent a note to KDE and XA.... The beeping happens whether the KDE ESC's are plugged into the XA FC or are not plugged in, if this makes any difference.

kloner

Aerial DP
just in case it wasn't tried, you want to drop your throttle end points to like -125 +125It's been consistently people not using futaba so you gotta bob and weave through setting it up. after extending the end points on the radio, redo the superX stick calibration, then try booting it up

Av8Chuck

Thank you Motopreserve.... I sent a note to KDE and XA.... The beeping happens whether the KDE ESC's are plugged into the XA FC or are not plugged in, if this makes any difference.

Yes, that's what they should do, it means the ESC's have poser but no control signal from the FC. If there's a signal from the SX when powered up you should hear one tone for each of the number of cells in your battery, then a short "Tune or Ring Tone."

Things you should check and sorry if this has already been mentioned, make sure the SX has power, the KED's are OPTOS and don't supply power to the FC, if the LED flashes to indicate it has poser what does it flash? Never mind, just watched the video, do you have a green LED on your Rx? What kind of Rx do you have? I use Futaba SBus and will have had the fast flashing LED when I didn't have it plugged into the correct port on the receiver correctly.

If it is plugged in correctly you should be able to cycle your mode switch quickly 5 times to enter setup mode, if that doesn't work your Rx and SX are not communicating.

mediaguru

just in case it wasn't tried, you want to drop your throttle end points to like -125 +125It's been consistently people not using futaba so you gotta bob and weave through setting it up. after extending the end points on the radio, redo the superX stick calibration, then try booting it up

I had to throttle cal with the ESC's directly connected to the receiver with my taranis at -89 to +100. Then after the cal, I put them back to -100 and +100 and that did the trick for me. Perhaps similar weirdness on the Futaba.

Av8Chuck

So far the four SX I've setup with Futaba have been really simple. I had one that wouldn't arm after it initially armed but then I just did the "Stick" setup routine again and it's worked right ever since.

There's no setup or programing with the KDE ESC's.

kloner

Aerial DP
futaba are great, i thought the guy with a problem was spektrum? cause that's the ones along with tyranis and hitec that have a history in this thread to have endpoint issues.

Old Man

Ran into end point issues with a Futaba Tx and Castle 50 ESC. The issue was not present in the test series when a T-Motor ESC was used. Adjusting the ESC timing provided no correction with the Castle but adjusting Tx end points did. Futaba is still a great radio though.

noid1037

Thanks all with the help. I will highlight some of the equipment again and highlight the issues along with some work I have done.

the transmitter is a Spektrum dx9, with a AR 9020, the XA controller, KDE ESC UAS 35, dualsky xm4010mr-6.5, all powered from a power distro board... The ESC's and the XA are soldered to the board. With a Max Amps 5450 4s battery. Power to the Spektrum RX is from the XA.... Again the motors are beeping with the them connected and disconnected to the xa. I have changed the throttle endpoints to 125. I have done the XA throttle calibration. I have sent a note to KDE to see if they have an idea. I'm waiting to hear from Drew at XA to see if he has an idea. The transmitter was set up by Drew.
When I was using the ztw spider ESC the motors were not beeping, but the setup wouldn't arm even with the calibration. So I decided to go with the KDE brand which created another hiccup.

Im wondering about the lack of the XA tone at start up... But the led indicator is working and I can go into calibration mode so I can think the issue is the XA controller is having an issue due to the motors and the beeping.

Couple questions.... If I did a calibration on the ESC would it do damage to them since the ESC are auto calibrated from what the company says.

What should I expect if I put an ESC servo cable into the Spektrum RX throttle position?

thanks all for the help!

http://youtu.be/B-U6YVoeFPc

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Calibrating the ESCs will not damage them - as all you are doing is setting the throttle end points. Actually, there should be no damage even if you were to actually program them - but I don't think there is a way to program the KDE ESCs (at least I have not heard about it personally).

Have you tried going lower on the end points? Try something closer to -85 and 85. Maybe work back towards 100 from there. Also, remember to reset the end points to -100 and 100 if/when you successfully calibrate the throttle/ESC and they arm. You want normal throws for flight.

kloner

Aerial DP
you can't get them to enter a endpoint calibration..... there locked up with a permanent end point set in the firmware.... like dji

with what your explaining how the other esc wouldn't arm either is a consistent problem with your radio to superX issue, not an esc problem. it is your endpoints and those endpoints have to be set in teh superX stick calibration. if you want to spend your way out of the problem get a flight controller that's more friendly with your radio or get a radio that's more friendly with your flight controller. I'd quit messing with swapping esc's just cause there the symptom you see from the fore mentioned problem.

Nobody uses spektrum at this level so a lot of the gear is made for what is used, like futaba

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I didn't know that it wasn't possible at all. That really is an unfortunate issue then. Because I had the same issue recreated with both Taranis and Futaba 14SG and the superx. Several brands of escs. Now with the KDE, I have the same non-Arm issue occasionally on only 1 motor/ESC. Recycling power fixes it.