XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Zirt57

Followup to last post. Had a great flight last night which produced nearly flawless video in some aggressive flying. But upon examination of the bird at my desk, I noticed on arm is slipping. Grounded until further notice. May need to pin the arms somehow or epoxy/glue them. Suggestions welcome.

How do you mean "slipping"?

Posted from my phone. :)

mediaguru

How do you mean "slipping"?

Posted from my phone. :)

Noticed the motor on one of the T960 foldable arms was not level. Thought the motor mount was loose but it was not. The whole arm moves. Where the arm attaches to the body is where it is slipping. I can easily rotate the arm.

kloner

Aerial DP
we pin arms a bit to prevent problems with slipping, drill a small hole through plastic into the arm and drive a bolt into it,,, common tail boom method for single rotors

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Followup to last post. Had a great flight last night which produced nearly flawless video in some aggressive flying. But upon examination of the bird at my desk, I noticed on arm is slipping. Grounded until further notice. May need to pin the arms somehow or epoxy/glue them. Suggestions welcome.

Are we talking about the tarot round booms?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast

I saw a trick with putting scotch tape around the booms where the clamps make contact to make for a more secure connection. Apparently an old heli tail boom trick? When I tear mine down (AGAIN!!!) to replace the broken motor mounts I will be giving this a shot.

If you want a visual - look up CPO videos on youtube for the tarot 680pro build.

mediaguru

I saw a trick with putting scotch tape around the booms where the clamps make contact to make for a more secure connection. Apparently an old heli tail boom trick? When I tear mine down (AGAIN!!!) to replace the broken motor mounts I will be giving this a shot.

If you want a visual - look up CPO videos on youtube for the tarot 680pro build.

Just check out this video as per your suggestion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQZJHey6oFU#t=675 and the time is around 10:10.

HOWEVER, that applies to the motor mounts slipping. Mine are not. The WHOLE ARM is rotating, so the slippage is where the arm attaches to the body.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I don't see where it wouldn't help at the body too. I think the slippage is from the contact point being between 2 slick surfaces. Give it a shot - can't hurt.

mediaguru

I don't see where it wouldn't help at the body too. I think the slippage is from the contact point being between 2 slick surfaces. Give it a shot - can't hurt.

I removed arm #5 last night. Had to desolder motor/esc/led to get it off, which is a pain. There are some useless threads at the part of the arm where the body connector is. Anyway I epoxied the arm yesterday and will put a small screw/pin in today. It is going to be tough putting the arm back in without disassembling the body, but I also epoxied the little plastic donuts to keep them from falling out. With that lube I think it will work.

If the reinstall of the arm works out ok I may have found a way to do it without having to disassemble the whole thing.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I removed arm #5 last night. Had to desolder motor/esc/led to get it off, which is a pain. There are some useless threads at the part of the arm where the body connector is. Anyway I epoxied the arm yesterday and will put a small screw/pin in today. It is going to be tough putting the arm back in without disassembling the body, but I also epoxied the little plastic donuts to keep them from falling out. With that lube I think it will work.

If the reinstall of the arm works out ok I may have found a way to do it without having to disassemble the whole thing.

Not sure what threads you are talking about that are unused. Also, where did you put the epoxy??? These issues with the round booms are exactly what drove me to get a square boom rig for the heavy(ier) lifter I'm working on.

I need to to dig I to this Tarot 680pro next week though....ugh!

mediaguru

Not sure what threads you are talking about that are unused. Also, where did you put the epoxy??? These issues with the round booms are exactly what drove me to get a square boom rig for the heavy(ier) lifter I'm working on.

I need to to dig I to this Tarot 680pro next week though....ugh!

Not "unused" but useless. They're on the end of the round CF tube which goes into the cap which attaches to the body, where the hinge is.

mediaguru

Sorry. Just realized we are talking different frames. :)

Haha. T960 here.

So question... now that a bit of my bird is torn apart and the FC removed for a bit, should I consider some vibration dampening on the FC mount? Previously it has been on a piece of lexan which has been DS taped to the frame.

mediaguru

Okay I've just done a flight this evening after fixing arm #5 and putting the thing back together. The first bit of good news is that the thing flies. Second, and I'm completely THRILLED, is that my vibrations are far lower than they have ever been. MAX vibe on a couple of spikes tonight was .5 and there was a enough wind to keep a large flag on a nearby flagpole horizontal. The video test I did reflects the lack of vibes and is 99.9% flawless. So happy.

I think perhaps arm5 was causing part of the vibration issue and also perhaps using 3M double sided tape for the FC mount and FC, instead of what was provided by XAircraft, made a difference.

Thrilled. I'm making a test video now and I'll post it tomorrow.

mediaguru

That's great news! Congrats. Now, can you come to Canberra and help me get as good of results?

Sure. How does next week sound? :nevreness:

Here's a test video. No post stabilization or any kind of tweaks to the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

mediaguru

Looking good my man!

Thanks. Need to lower gimbal in order to reduce the amount of video where the arms or props show up. Hope that doesn't mess the whole setup up! You know it will... Just got my shutter release trigger too, so I can manually (or hopefully automate with the taranis) shoot photos also.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks. Need to lower gimbal in order to reduce the amount of video where the arms or props show up. Hope that doesn't mess the whole setup up! You know it will... Just got my shutter release trigger too, so I can manually (or hopefully automate with the taranis) shoot photos also.

Im going to start messing with the gimbal I have for the Sony Nex. I too have a shutter remote and an HDMI downlink for the future. I have not messed with gimbals enough to feel confident - but I'll take it slow and see where I end up. I have a small frame I built to tune on the bench - hopefully I can get it in the ball park - then move on to flight tuning soon(ish).