Sony CX730/740/760 info centre

Macsgrafs

Does anyone have instructions on how to hook up the RC Shutter LANC control for the cx? What would the video out do on that cable??? Video comes straight from the cam into the vtx. there are 2 servo plugs. Which does what? Lovely instruction manual that comes with these things! same with the Gopro 3 usb out cable. 2 servo connectors for audio/video out??? WTF?

One of the servo plugs (3 wires) is the photo shutter & the other single wire servo plug is the zoom.....I might have them the wrong way around, but its only 2 secs to change them over. The yellow lead is video out ;)

ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Kinda figured that with servo plugs but thanks for confirming. But teh yellow vid out confuses me as I have never used this setup before with lanc. Ah! I think I just got it, the 10 pin that you would normally use for video out is te same one its using on the harness. got it! Duh! I feel stupid. I didnt have the camera in front of me when I asked and just assumed the av out would still be used normally. Cheers

Yuri

Bowley

Sony CX410VE

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cam-high-definition-on-memory-stick/hdr-cx410ve

Anyone got any thought on this? I think it it very new so there is not much about it online. But I have been following all this thread and the aerial clips in the Red Bull film (which is brilliant) cut in amazingly well I presume with the Red footage. Well done to all involved.

The sales blurb says the BOSS system has been improved and interestingly the new camera is half the weight of the CX7xx and is also alot cheaper! The tech blurb when comparing the two 8.9 Mpix vs 24 Mpix I am not interested in stills just the video performance. The lens is probably not so good. The sensor size is smaller which is maybe mixed blessings i.e. resolving detail vs. increased depth of focus.

Interesting?

Steve

Interesting, Thanks for sharing that, definitely worth a closer look. Initial price £500, (actually available for preorder at amazon also). I'd lay odds on this dropping a fair bit once it becomes available. CX730 can now be bought for not too much more, so it would be a hard choice. Would be good to see a side by side video and see the original and improved BOSS systems working for comparison, and video quality.

Especially video quality. Talking about specifications i made some comparison and noticed that the sensor of the 410 is a 1/3.91 whilst the 730 is a 1/2.88. Can't wait to see some sample videos, especially in low light.

PaNt

Guys where do you find lens hood for your Cx730?? Or its included??

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ok, the rc shutter assembly works pretty well. But I am not getting the record switch to work at all. I tried hooking it up to the rudder just to see what a full range did. I think the problem is that it requires a 3 position switch to work and I bought a DX6i for my cam op. There are only 2 position switches, so will the record option not work? Maybe I can move the range over in the travel adjustment.

Macsgrafs

Ok, the rc shutter assembly works pretty well. But I am not getting the record switch to work at all. I tried hooking it up to the rudder just to see what a full range did. I think the problem is that it requires a 3 position switch to work and I bought a DX6i for my cam op. There are only 2 position switches, so will the record option not work? Maybe I can move the range over in the travel adjustment.

We use 1 switch for record off/on & the throttle for zoom. don't worry about the stills capture, its better to use a DSLR for stills than a video cam anyway!
You should have 2 leads Iris, one sngle white which is the zoom...by the way, if the camera is zooming you can not start or stop the video record, so record then zoom is the way to do it.

PS make sure the channel you use for zoom is fully centred & no creep or you will find the record function not working.

Ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I don't care about the pictures. But even with the zoom centered it just doesn't work. I do however get some erratic triggering when moving the throttle which is my zoom. Wish they could explain e a fly how it is supposed to work! In other words, does a 2 position switch work at all? It would seem it needs a 3 position so it is in active at center up is record down is photo? I just can't tell what it's trying to do as it is not consistent. Other issue is that it doesn't show if its recording through the live view. Ugg.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... Other issue is that it doesn't show if its recording through the live view. Ugg.

Tut, tut. You weren't paying attention when I was bitching about what the CX7XX series doesn't do. Can't help with the LANC thing, didn't get that far. I'd already sent it back for all the other aggravations.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I actually do remember someone mentioning this but didn't think it would matter. I think my solution will be to disable the record switch entirely and just hit record upon taking off. That way I at least know it will stay on. Done! But the zoom is nice. Don't quite understand why the record feature is not part of the lanc though as I think our other cameras lanc has this feature built in without the need for the extra IR led.

Macsgrafs

We haven't got an IR LED with ours...the LED we have should FLASH when the cam is in record mode..its just an indicator Iris.
The DX6i has a 3 position switch on the top left from memory for idle up? Mind you we use a DX7 for the cam & copter.

So to recap.
Single white wire is zoom (use on throttle seems best as you can select the zoom speed like this)
Usual RC plug is for record on/off & photos, but we use it for record on/off only via a single switch on the DX7 (gear switch). I find travle adjust needs to be 50% & zero...can't remember which way, but play about with your travel adjust on the channel you use.

Ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Would it have been that hard for RC shutter to just say this in their description??? Jeeze. Ok, so its an indicator light. Regardless, pretty sure I need a 3 position switch. Thanks though.

Macsgrafs

Would it have been that hard for RC shutter to just say this in their description??? Jeeze. Ok, so its an indicator light. Regardless, pretty sure I need a 3 position switch. Thanks though.

Here's a facebook email direct from Tezcan:-

Hi ross

Do you have 2 emty channel?

If you want use all function you have to use 3 positioned switch for record and photo

Connector with one wire for zoom channel ( thr switch must be center position for idle)

Connector with 3 wire for record and photo funtion ( 3 or 2 positioned switch)

If you want use 2 pos. switch. This channel end point or servo travel sertings must be 0-50 or 50-100

For 3 pos. switch : center pos : idle

Up : record start center : record stop

Down : take picture

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up chaps.. Out of all the Lanc controllers I have found the one from the 'DARKSIDE' (MK) the best. It is bulkier than the others but it works wonderfully. + its now the only one I have left!! I have not tried the RC shutter one but the MK unit has a bloody great LED indicator which yo can see you are recording. The ZOOM is suer smooth

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Again, if he had simply put that info on the site it would save this whole conversation. It makes sense now that I have to adjust the travel end points for the 2 position switch to work. I find the zoom to be pretty smooth on the rc shutter. So far it is nice and compact, just this one issue with recording.

thanks all.

YUri