Sony CX730/740/760 info centre

nicwilke

Jeff Scholl has made some remarkable videos with the CX. Hard to argue with the stuff he has put out there.

I'm thinking of purchasing a pj710v - the one with the projector. Anybody know why this might be a bad idea?

TB

edit: looks like the pj710v is 15 grams heavier and has the same optics and BOSS. It's also about $400-$500 less.
Ive got the PJ710v, its not noticeably heavier than my mates CX760. The LED protector is something I don't need, and the SD card capable camera makes the internal memory differences negligible. Same features plus the projector, same manual also, it references everything on the 760/30 except the additional projector. I'm happy with the camera.

tombrown1

Ive got the PJ710v, its not noticeably heavier than my mates CX760. The LED protector is something I don't need, and the SD card capable camera makes the internal memory differences negligible. Same features plus the projector, same manual also, it references everything on the 760/30 except the additional projector. I'm happy with the camera.

Good to know. Thanks.

nicwilke

Using the AV port on the camera (D shaped plug), I'm getting live AV out to my 5.8ghz downlink to a monitor for framing the pic and a little bit of FPV. Works great, and since I rarely use AV RCA plugs, its no problem to have hacked the cord. Just waiting for the RC Shutter remote, its been a month now, so hope its soon so I dont have to film full flights.

nicwilke

Get one of THESE and you can control everything!

Wow, very cool. I'll look into that for sure. Zoom at variable speed, very nice. I'm on one Tx at the moment, so can only have on/off and tilt, and one spare. I think I could make the zoom work with the second flap paddle on the JR 9503. Thanks for sharing.

nicwilke

After great debate, I'm going to sell my PJ710V. Its only been testing on the XM-6, and although its terrific, it's not the rite weight for my little hexa. I need to get 10 mins flight time, and with a 660g camera, its a little over half. I'm sure if I got AXI motors, I'd keep it, but for now, I'm going to get a smaller camera for aerial stuff. Its as new, in box, PAL version. 32GB HD, BOSS, and I'll throw in a free RC shutter for Zoom and Rec on/off function (2 channel).
PM me if interested, never crashed, 100% perfect. Will include receipt for remainder of warranty (12 month warranty, 11 left).

Macsgrafs

I'm using a Sony HDR PJ760VE & what are you guys using for editing your footage? I can get the full HD (1920x1080, 50FPS) to play ok in windoze media player...but when I try & edit it goes bright green (Adobe premiere CS4)...any ideas what works best? I did manage to edit it fine last night...before I installed that useless little programe that comes installed on the built in memory :(

Ross

snurre

CS6 has full support for 50P at full HD. I joined the Adobe Creative Cloud. Full access to the suite on a monthly fee.

Macsgrafs

CS6 has full support for 50P at full HD. I joined the Adobe Creative Cloud. Full access to the suite on a monthly fee.

£48 per month!!!!! Bit to much for my liking :( But thanks for the reply, it's very much appreciated.

Ross

ZAxis

I'd love to know which image stabilization mode you guys use and why. Active or standard?

Best,

Tom

We always use Active for maximum stabilisation. Standard is only any use when zoomed wide. Active employs BOSS to the maximum.

andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

So what editing software are you guys using to edit full HD @ 50FPS? My premiere CS4 just doesnt cut it....crashes big time :(

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So what editing software are you guys using to edit full HD @ 50FPS? My premiere CS4 just doesnt cut it....crashes big time :(

Ross

One of the problems with 1080p50 is that it is outside the standard AVCHD protocol where resolution maximums are 720p50 and 1080p25. I am still on FCP 7 which will not recognise 1080p50 and the raw video must first be converted to a standard QuickTime movie. I have Aunsoft MTS Converter for this task, but after converting the file FCP still comes up with a warning saying it is not a suitable file, although it then goes ahead and edits it anyway. The new 1080p50 capable GH3 gets around all this by saving to a .mov file.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just got my cx760v and so far I have not had a chance to put it ont the heli but I am not overly impressed. I knew it didnt compensate for roll but the reaction to movement seems inconsistant. Its pretty good, dont get me wrong, but to sacrifice so many features for the BOSS doesnt seem worth it. I got this to use in a real heli as well which I havent tried but just from driving with it I dont think it will be as good as i was hoping. For RC applications I dont think you really need this kind of stabilization. It doesnt compensate for vibrations, only slow/medium movements which dont really occur on a heli unless you have a messed up gimbal. The OIS on the GH2, Nex5n seem to do just as good a job in this small range required to assist in stabilizing from a gimbal. but like I said, my main hope was to get some driving shots and real heli shots where the 400rpm pulse is very hard to deal with hand holding a camera.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I really dont know why everyone seems to knock this camera. ITS HORSES FOR COURSES!. It really does depend on what you want. If you want PRO cinema quality then it aint going to perform BUT id you want it for intergrated footage for web / promo stuff then spot the Red / CX730 splits here..

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/video-series/1331575781284/athertons-four-by-three

I am sure the PRO's on here will say I can see I can see but for the general viewing then please tell me what is wrong with the above?

Its a flamin very capable camera for the vast majority of amateur and as seen above semi pro productions. As soon as the broadcast footage I have done with it is on the BBC I will post the links.

If you doint like it Yuri send the bloody think back like MBF did and go buy a red! Be assured amateur (99.9% of this forum) its a bloody good bang for your buck.. well sheckle, coin, or in my case quid!

Dave

tombrown1

I understand what you mean - esp about the roll. But I have the nex 5n and a Sony boss and it is no contest. If I were to continue using my nex for video I would probably have to spend an extra 30 hours and maybe $500 to get my shaking down to zero. The boss takes care of 90% of my problems.

Try messing with standard vs. active stabilization. They both have their merits.

Best,

Tom

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Roll.. easy Radian or now I know how to configure the bugger PH skyline.

Job Done

IT is a bloody good all rounder for the vast majority of users, what is starting to bug me on here is guys coming in new to this and thinking they need to spend a million bucks to get a reasonable result. The below link clearly shows you don't.

Lec's flying skills are second to none, it is purely down to his persistence practice and dedication to his art. The flying skills he has compliments the CX730 (in what ever form it is in your country) but if you cant fly then even footage from the most expensive camera will still be pants.

Newbies on here understand one thing, for the vast majority of what you want a GoPro2 / 3 will more than surfice. If and that is a FLAMIN BIG IF you manage to start making money or have the potential to from flying a MR then start looking at different systems. AND to save being rodgered left right and centre as I have drop me a PM and Ill give you two years of flaming money pit experience to save you falling into the same hole.

Dave