Impressions after first shoot with S800 and Z15 w/ NEX5n

skivvie

After doing a couple of shoots this week with my S800 and Z15 setup for solo operation... here's a couple of things I noticed that I think either should be added or fixed:

1: Pan stop
The end of a pan seems to have a jarring stop, even with a good bit of expo on my rudder stick. Do I just need to add more expo/be better on the stick or is anyone else experiencing the same? Would be nice if the pan was eased in to the stopping point.. maybe a "gain" setting for this. I see the complexities of doing this... just a thought. There is already some compensation happening on the Z15 pan while yawing the S800... I just can't figure out if it's too much or not enough.

2: Tilt Control
For single person operation, we need the option for the tilt control to be a direct correlation instead of velocity. By this I mean if my slider is all the way down, the tilt should be all the way down. Slider up, tilt all the way up instead of the slider position corresponding to tilt velocity. I operated my AV130 with the WKM like this and it is exceedingly easier to control than having to recenter the slider when you want to stop the tilt while also maneuvering the heli. This would mean you'd need limits to the tilt as there are in the standard WKM gimbal control. Basically, it needs a mode to operate exactly like the WKM gimbal control does so that you can set tilt speed and limits and control position directly in correlation to Tx knob/slider position.

3: Start up calibration
I had multiple instances where the roll was off of horizontal after boot up. I never did figure out if this was because of the S800 not being on perfectly level ground or not since I was shooting in rocky sloped terrain. Can someone explain exactly how the Z15 gets it's roll level calibration? Does it get it from the WKM position or what? If I power up with the S800 on a slope, does the Z15 horizon match that angle? (I don't have it with me or I'd test this). If so I'll just place a bubble level on the plates and be done with it.

4: Roll Drift
Sidney already mentioned this is being fixed, but I too noticed after big yaws the roll went off level.

5: Video Rec start/stop
REALLY need this. The StratoSnapper I had on my other heli did this perfectly with the NEX5n. I could use one 2-pos Tx switch as a camera mode toggle to change my shutter trigger switch between video/stills and either start/stop recording or snap a picture depending on the position of the mode switch. Instead of dealing with huge clips upon import, I'd be able to start and stop a shot when I wanted to between repositioning the heli and this was a HUGE help in editing and ingesting footage. So... it's definitely possible with the NEX5n and from what I understand would only require some IR codes in the firmware for the IMU correct? The Stratosnapper software is available for download if the DJI engineers can't figure this out themselves... PLEASE add this ASAP.

All together, I was VERY impressed. This thing is incredible. No post needed other than quick grading. This alone justifies the cost to me in time saved rendering and stabilizing. Not so much as a jitter on the roll or any axis for that matter that I didn't want to be there. The 16mm pancake is a soft POS but I'll work around it until another lens is supported. I will be making this a 2 man rig this week, and hopefully make it easy to switch back and forth as needed.

Here is a couple of minutes of the B-roll from the shoot... Please don't share this URL as it's still in post. =]

(Also posted at RCG... hate having to do that.)

Last edited by a moderator:

skivvie

Can only be viewed as embed on the forum not on vimeo ATM. I'll just password it when I get home in a bit.

DennyR

Some nice camera moves which shown the Zen to be working a good deal better than most other stuff out there. A little too fast in places. Pull back at the end is great.

I have 50% expo and no issues with pan stop/start. I did need some slight rebalancing on the Pan axis.

Out of the box this thing works pretty good.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
That is selling material right there! Absolutely stunning scenery and dead smooth footage. for the lens, go buy some fd or ef lenses and the $20 converter. The guys on the DJI site show they are doing the same thing.

skivvie

Thanks guys. Just the beginning of my cliff shooting this summer.... heheh... can't wait to shoot what I have in my head.

That is selling material right there! Absolutely stunning scenery and dead smooth footage. for the lens, go buy some fd or ef lenses and the $20 converter. The guys on the DJI site show they are doing the same thing.

Yeah... I just don't want to touch the balance yet. I want the damn thing to work perfect for a while before I go and screw it up and have to deal with the headaches again.

A little too fast in places.I did need some slight rebalancing on the Pan axis.

Out of the box this thing works pretty good.

Yeah that fast down was thrown in just to show how smooth the thing is even when you jerk it around quick.. that was a reposition move. Otherwise... still getting the hang of the speed. The DP wanted faster moves for almost all the shots and I still went slower.

How did you rebalance on Pan axis? I'll crank up the expo and see if it helps but I'm already at 40%

DennyR

The pan axis comes after the tilt and then roll adjustments, then you place it on it's side. You know when it's right because however you move it, it always stays in it's original place. A good technique for slow moves is to use the trim only.

skivvie

Thanks... Makes sense after looking at it more critically. I'll try and grow a pair for some different lenses soon.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Skivvie nice. Every time I see footage from the combination it makes me want to rush out and buy one!

Question to you and Denny though. How do you get the DOP to accept the Nex5n?

Ones I work for wont go there insisting on Canon 550D as bare minimum.

Dave

Really nice- it's very smooth. Only shame is the dirt/dust on the lens. I've learned the hard way you need to check it constantly.

nick

skivvie

Dave

I just showed them sample footage and they were okay with it both times. I'm doing lower end shoots anyway... But as soon as DJI has a Zenmuse/Heli combo for an SLR I'm sold to avoid that exact issue.

skivvie

Really nice- it's very smooth. Only shame is the dirt/dust on the lens. I've learned the hard way you need to check it constantly.

nick

Yup... Turns out it was sensor dust... I always check the lens. Luckily it'll be easy to paint out. Wasn't too happy when i saw that. Should have checked on a white card. Live and learn.

DennyR

Aye Up Skivvie nice. Every time I see footage from the combination it makes me want to rush out and buy one!

Dave

Most times I am the DOP so if it cuts the mustard then it's ok with me. Very little to choose between the Nex-7 and the 550D on a good prime lens at F8...... What determines if the footage is good or not is how fast you move the camera.

Their are a lot of DoP's out there who don't have a clue what they are doing with aerial stuff. If they ask for something that you know wont work let them find out the hard way. Then show em the right way.

DennyR

I did notice that the Nex-7 is quite prone to accumulating a little dust when changing the lens. I think that the 24 will be a great lens which would be easy to balance. But I think there is some other stuff that you could use with the converter.
Having used the stabilised standard zoom lens OK.(which was right on the limit) balance should not be a problem.

Regarding the panning.... How far can you pan before you can see the landing skids? Has anyone heard if retracts or some other design change to have more panning?