Sony CX730/740/760 info centre

Macsgrafs

Whilst you are still in a quandary and before you splash out, I might add that the GH2 is the smoothest 'panner' I have yet come across. OIS systems in general do not handle pan movements well (other than small handheld shake stuff) because of their tendency to lock onto a POI and hold it until they are forced to let go and then jump to another one and hold it until it is forced to let go etc. etc. resulting in a very stroboscopic, stuttering image that is even worse than old westerns. The system that Panasonic calls 'mega OIS' is very forgiving and OIS enabled pans are the smoothest I have ever come across. There are three Levels of 'mega OIS' available but the camera restricts this to Level 1 when in Movie Mode.

Perhaps Panasonic have taken all the above into account and limited the OIS sensitivity in the pan axis for Level 1 and then restricted access to the other Levels in Movie Mode so that users don't get carried away with over sensitive settings and produce rubbish movies.

I'm well & trully against the wall now ;)
Do I go for a GH2 & hack it (but then I'm using a stills camera for video) or go for a sony CX series cam? Hard choice, but as yo said MF, the panning on the GH2 is so smooth!

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated...want to get it right now, the Mrs has given me permission to spend as long as I increase her shoe allowance ;)

Mind you Droider Dave is really getting some stunning results, for those guys who think this is the only video, view it on youtube & see his 2 others with ZOOM as well...to be honest it's stunning!!!

Ross

E-Copter

Hi again,

i can confirm ( becaus i use it) that the Sony CX 730 + (meaning from 730 up to 760 ) Stabilisation is totally different than the other cx's series including the 700.

Balanced optical system ( on CX 730, 740, 760 ..) does not focus on the cmos sensor on some points of the picture. It's a mechanicaly balanced system and you will get an ultra smooth pan if you do not pan too fast :)

Now, i don't know if ti's as good, better or less performant than tht GH2, but once you know what speed not to go over in pan, you end up with a really fantastic result on the CX camcorders that have BOSS. Active steadyshot is working as mentionned ( kind of point of interrest of the cmos sensor directing a mini lens inside the camcorder), whcih is not good. Balanced Optical steadyshot works totally differently and this one works perfect for pan :)

BEst regards,
Fabien

PS: some videos made with CX 740 a few month ago for a french TV show, i was controling the tilt on gimbal gimbal and my mate was piloting for FlyingEye company :

https://vimeo.com/42649551#at=0

https://vimeo.com/44774256#at=0

Most stepping effects are due to the H264 encoding / compression but live pictures were incredibly smoth.

I'll upload a slow panorama raw file tonight on my ftp server so you can check and compare with a GH2 file as talking will not let you know, only file sampling can give you a idea if CX can fullfil your needs, or not :)

Best regards,
Fabien

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
...PS: some videos made with CX 740 a few month ago for a french TV show, i was controling the tilt on gimbal gimbal and my mate was piloting for FlyingEye company...

Nice locations. France is great for this - quite apart from the cheese, wine and sexy women ! - the country is littered with picturesque castles, ruins and Ye Olde villages next to rivers. Love it.

E-Copter

I second this :)

If only we did not have such a " picturesque" economy, multirotor legislation, and government looool !

Best regards,
Fabien

Macsgrafs

Fabien, nice video & I 3rd it....I also love the French countryside. I once drove from Calais to Cassis non stop (except for fuel), it's a very beautiful country & the Spanish French border has some wonderful locations to shoot...might make it a future mission for myself..as a holiday.

Ross

nicwilke

Ross,
What have you decided to do with the camera? I'm in the same boat, I'm looking at BOSS or the Pano900. Still cant decide, I'm over the NEX-5n, far to soft.

A bit off topic, but is anyone using the RX100? I've read some really good reviews about this camera and I've seen some very impressive videos taken with one, but not yet seen any aerial footage using an RX100.

Had a quick comparison with Nex5 with the imaging resource comparometer. Didn't really convinced me but, well, the nex is double the weight too.
Video-wise...i'll wait for someone else flying experience.

nicwilke

Had a quick comparison with Nex5 with the imaging resource comparometer. Didn't really convinced me but, well, the nex is double the weight too.
Video-wise...i'll wait for someone else flying experience.

Nex 5N is OK for the quality image I'm after, although my camera exhibits a softness I'm a little sick of. The BOSS I can't fault as secondary stabilization. I can use my 7D or XF100 if I need something crisper, but the Sony PJ760VE (CX760, CX730 etc not available in Australia) will fill the void.

Yep!...I was commenting the rx100. My opinion is that you will find the 760 results fantastic. And will also be surprised by the amount of shaking abuse this camera can sustain without showing it on the video. I was sceptical when the 730 was introduced but then had the occasion to use it and also to shoot with nex, cx160 and cx 730 all together (same place in a few minutes from each other).
Pictures best is the nex whilst the easiest way to have great videos is 730 whilst the 160 is the camera for dangerous shooting (above water or when flying near obstacles). Pity the 730 is not mine, but it won't take long before i get one:nevreness:

nicwilke

Its a great concept, and Quadrocopter must be thanked for the effort, however it shows the LHS sony CX760 not set correctly. I'd actually say it needs a white balance adjustment or something. Stability wise, I think on their highly modified cinestar, you could put a $100 camera on there, and it'd come out smooth. They should borrow photohighers little 550 hexa with the nasty props to do this test. LOL. I think the additional Balanced Optical Steadyshot is something we'll see more of in other cameras later this year/next year, certainly is the way to go as technology cheapens up.

Macsgrafs

I think you're right there Nic, more will follow suit!
I would like to see a manufacturer design a camera with the guts floating on anti vibration mounts that can be set for car, bike, walking & RC aircraft ;)

nicwilke

I think you're right there Nic, more will follow suit!
I would like to see a manufacturer design a camera with the guts floating on anti vibration mounts that can be set for car, bike, walking & RC aircraft ;)

Just bought the PJ710ve, its a 32Gb version of the CX760, but has the stupid projector in the flip screen. Arrives here next week, so will work on getting some samples from an AV130 w/skyline. I'm game, I'll fly over water for the tests.. LOL