DJI OSD - Can-bus HUB arrived

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
i connect the output for the zenmuse directly to the osd.
the osd has again a BEC for the video tx.
so there you connect your 600mw to and voila ! all working.
also i dont get the problems you had with the 12V output (zen) to the immercion , i connect them directly without any issues.
i build at least 25 customer rtf like this.
if i am not mistaking the Zenmuse has a BEC for at least 1 amp
the immersion uses about 600 mah on 12 volts.
maybe the TX is bad?

Thats all clear and i had the VTX connected directly to the CGU AV output. But the DJI OSD has no dedicated VTX BEC, work around use the CGU BEC or the AVin CAM BEC !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay this method works, thank god. So its a solution for VTXs that can't take 6s direct !

View attachment 6819

Boris

Attachments

• OSDDJI.jpg
    OSDDJI.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 368
Last edited by a moderator:

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
plingboot I will think about it ! just got another 50 way points licenses for another bird and not sure yet if i will use 2.4 or 900 mhz. If I go for the 900 mhz things will work out and you can have it !

You guys see and GND loop risk here ?

View attachment 8898

thanks

Surely it can't be a good idea to share a Camera's A/V out GND with an FPV camera's?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
could work can you show what you intend to do exactly. Are planing on using the 12v out from the zenmuse GCU ?

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
DJI just emailed to acknowledge there's a problem with AV-in from some FPV cameras (e.g. Pixim SeaWolf). They are working on it...

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
did you ask them why 11.2v is the output for FPV cam ?

No I didn't - it would be nice, sure, but my pressing problem is not being able to get my main FPV cameras to work. I'm testing with a GoPro AV out later this morning and will report back...

Kilby

No I didn't - it would be nice, sure, but my pressing problem is not being able to get my main FPV cameras to work. I'm testing with a GoPro AV out later this morning and will report back...

And yet another example of why I don't buy DJI products on pre-order. Don't get me wrong, I love their products, but they have crap QA and it usually takes them a time or two to get the bugs worked out. Once they do, it's great. They should really offer early product releases for reduced or free since they are saving money on QA employees.

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
OK with GoPro 2

And yet another example of why I don't buy DJI products on pre-order. Don't get me wrong, I love their products, but they have crap QA and it usually takes them a time or two to get the bugs worked out. Once they do, it's great. They should really offer early product releases for reduced or free since they are saving money on QA employees.

How right you are but this seems to be a pervasive theme running through many of the multicopter related suppliers.

I've now had two issues recently marked for action by DJI - the other was their implementation of PPM. Under Flight Assistant, Failsafe is not highlighting correctly whereas the OSD and the main LED show it as working. Not exemplary is it?

On balance, and right now am OK with DJI but it wouldn't take much for me to look elsewhere; but I'd avoid MK (their license fee for commercial AP is ridiculous and their stuff isn't enclosed) and look at Hoverfly or Zero (the latter has crap documentation right now and they too are waypoint mad).

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
Two iOSDs give same BEC output voltage: 11.63V (RMS Voltmeter)

So is the MC is suffering from weak power supply?

I've got two iOSDs and both read 11.63V from the onboard BEC...

Why 11.63V? No idea, perhaps DJI have their own cameras planned. Whichever/whatever the reason, they don't seem to be supporting FPV mainstream Cameras. Two battery pass throughs as well? Can't see the point of that either given the wire gauge (small).

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I've got two iOSDs and both read 11.63V from the onboard BEC...

Why 11.63V? No idea, perhaps DJI have their own cameras planned. Whichever/whatever the reason, they don't seem to be supporting FPV mainstream Cameras. Two battery pass throughs as well? Can't see the point of that either given the wire gauge (small).

I think what they mean with this " for the power supply of the main controller to improve the power supply reliability of the main controller." is actually the power supply concerning the can-bus, could be that it was suffering " had the same thoughts the first time I was reading it " or they are already thinking ahead for further components that are being fully powered or just addressed over the can-bus. For example the 900 datalink 1000mw is probably drawing over 1A.

Japp strange one with the 11.* V output for the cam. And the direct batt voltage output for the VTX. Probably not a problem with their VTX and with the newer Immersion VTX which are rated to 6s, but a problem with the older immersion VTXs for example !

Boris

Tahoe Ed

My immersions will take up to 6S so no problem there. I have the full monty of DJI set ups. S800, Z15, iOSD, and VTX with a Nex5N. The full system is well integrated and truly plug and play. My only problem was that the cable from the GUI to the iOSD was fubar'd. I had to move the outputs on the connector. After that everything worked as advertised. I have not set up a dedicated FPV camera yet. I am using the output of Nex5N. I will build that cable this weekend and see if it works. It was nice that DJI included the necessary parts to do that build.

DJI is recalling early iOSD units for a black screen default.
Anyone know if the units received from the UK a few days ago affected?

Tahoe Ed

I sent an email to DJI concerning the camera issue. I got a confirmation back that it was a known issue but no time frame as to when the new iOSD will be available.