GoPro 3

kloner

Aerial DP
you never know with any camera till somebody snifs what it emits. It emits some sort of rf just being a camera, question is what frequencies is it. Were a super small sector of the camera market i'd think. dunno if they watch for all the freq's we use or not

Kilby

Don't look at the promotion video to decide what camera you should take. Those video's are surely much edited by professionals. Look at the Sony HDR AS15.. Promo looks way better than actual footage. And it wouldn't surprise me that not every shot was taken with the Hero3. I'm waiting to check user footage of the Hero3 before deciding.. It won't as good as the promo video for sure.

It says right on their site that the video is shot entirely with the GoPro 3 Black edition. I don't think the editing is what makes the video so nice, it's the content.

3dheliguy

It says right on their site that the video is shot entirely with the GoPro 3 Black edition. I don't think the editing is what makes the video so nice, it's the content.

Editing be it I don't know how much, but editing is everything, it can make a crap video look decent, and a decent video look Amazing so you got to take the trailer with a grain of salt. I like what there trying to do, but I just don't need that fish eye look going on for my video...nobody wants it, it's more for having fun, maybe sticking it to the side of your head and jumping off a cliff "bye bye" but I couldn't use it at least not for aerial video. Don't get me wrong Go Pros for the Money are it!

Now, what I will be buying if it holds true to the specs is A Panasonic GH3 Baby. Let it rain let it rain 50mbs 60fps at broadcast quality. Swwwwwweeeeeeeeetttttttt!

Hmmmm....my first reaction is that I want one. Then...I realised that for within shouting distance of the same money I can get an NEX-5N.

Now I wonder....do I really want one after all?

....sT

Jodde73

Who flies fpv with a Nex? It does not have AV out, Strange to compare those. The battery life of the NEX really sucks when you van't turn off the screen. Do you get a NEX-5N with wide angle lens for 400$?

Not looking to use either as an FPV camera. If FPV is all that you want, its significantly cheaper just to stick with the CC cameras.

Bowley

I wouldnt be inclined to fly FPV with a GP3 either. The enhancements on the 3 would be far more apparent for AV than FPV. I reckon if the right FOV modes are available in the higher def and frame rate modes, they could have nailed it. very curious to see some footage. All I want is 1080 50p Narrow FOV. no jello, no fisheye. If so I wonder if it was worth building a heavy lifter!! That said, you can still get a full HD 50p video cam for half the price.

Jodde73

Wait, you don't get it. I use GoPro to record nice video just like you, but filming without live framing (fpv) is to me a lottery. I do all my aerial work fpv now. Even with DSLR's. It's 2012 AP and fpv is fused. And it's a myth that it is hard to fly gimbal stabbed fpv.
Sensor size, shutter speed, bitrate, dynamic range and lens quality is more important than the 1080/50p numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dheliguy

To each there own, bit for an editing stand point I will take the higher bit rate and Mov files over any AVCHD files. Have fun.

3dheliguy

Wait, you don't get it. I use GoPro to record nice video just like you, but filming without live framing (fpv) is to me a lottery. I do all my aerial work fpv now. Even with DSLR's. It's 2012 AP and fpv is fused. And it's a myth that it is hard to fly gimbal stabbed fpv.
Sensor size, shutter speed, bitrate, dynamic range and lens quality is more important than the 1080/50p numbers.

Yeah, it is a new day, but higher bit rate 50mb files in mov, and 60 frames per sec in full 1080 is unheard in a small affordable size like the GH3. Also it is becoming one of the choice video cameras of the indie industry. I personally see longer flight times, and cheaper all around setups as the these kinds of cameras push the envelope.

But if you want to use this camera for FPV go ahead, but I'm sure there's a cheaper way to go, but it's your money

The FPV thing is I admit awesome, I just don't see it being here for very much longer, also most the people that fly bigger rigs don't depend on FPV. Personally I would never trust a system that runs off batteries to act as my eyes in the sky. We were born with eyeballs and I intend to use them watching my investment. There's a time and a place for FPV, but knowing your limits, and following a safe operating environment is more important.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm a million times more comftorable looking out of the model....3d, you gotta come fly with me someday, i'll change your mind

FPV aint going anywhere, we already have laws, i fly with the guy that wrote em. AP under license might never see it, but that's up to who represents us. in the next month or two remember "video pilots association" if you want something pushed in favor of helping both sides, that'll be a good one to join
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745755

mailman35

i agree with kloner, fpv is far from going anywhere, its starting to really hit its stride as prices start to drop and more vendors come out.
just look at all the noobs that try picking it up first thing.

rotary65

The FPV thing is I admit awesome, I just don't see it being here for very much longer, also most the people that fly bigger rigs don't depend on FPV. Personally I would never trust a system that runs off batteries to act as my eyes in the sky. We were born with eyeballs and I intend to use them watching my investment. There's a time and a place for FPV, but knowing your limits, and following a safe operating environment is more important.

Oh brother! FPV is about the visual flying experience. FPV pilots like to feel like they're flying. It's about fun.

People with big rigs use them for AP, they aren't in it for video piloting, they're in it for pictures. Two completely different applications. You may as well be comparing 3D helicopter and scale helicopter flying.

The same batteries are powering the motors in most cases.

Interest in FPV is exploding! It's going nowhere but up.

Wow, that was fun. Back over to FPVLab I go.

Search49

Search49
Okay guys, I have a Go Pro Hero 3!!!!! Just picked it up and am truly impressed. I haven't even opened the box yet.....but when I do, I'll post details!!!

Shawn

Search49

Search49
Here's a quick review upon opening the GoPro Hero 3 Box. - Packaging is alot better than the Hero 2 and Hero 1. First off you must download the user manual. At the retail price they should provide a manual for you. Unpacking the box, I found two cards, "Before Using a Product Update is required". Now they just released this thing a day or two ago and it requires a update already, dang!!!! Ok, on to the camera. Yes its smaller and has a nice feel. The buttons are marked giving it the appearance of easy operation. Notice I said appearance. I fumbled with the waterproof case trying to open it to remove the camera. This took me about 1 min and a half and I figured it out. The locking handle is great, but it comes off completely once you have the case open. So be careful there. Back to the Camera! The GoPro 3 does not use your full size memory cards any more, but instead use the micro cards. (Guess I need to change my inventory in memory cards......Got about 20 coming up for sale, you interested!) The slot for the micro card and the usb connection is covered by a removable cover. Its small and black - so what that means is there's a very very good chance you'll lose it. (I see a opportunity for someone here!)

There are alot of improvements here, but some I don't think were well thought out. As I get further along I will post my findings!

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator: