FAA Letter

LETTER BELOW FROM THE FAA TO OUR COMPANY
Gentlemen-
I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with the person or persons in

your organization who oversee your unmanned aircraft operation. As a
courtesy to you and your organization, I would like to discuss the existing
prohibition of commercial operations of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in
the U.S. national airspace as well as the rule making efforts the FAA is
currently undertaking to provide for such operations in the future.
Please respond within 5 business days.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Kind regards,
Lance
R. Lance Nuckolls
Aviation Safety Inspector – Flight Operations
FAA Office of Aviation Safety
Flight Standards Service
Unmanned Aircraft Program Office (AFS-407)
470 L’Enfant Plaza STE 3200
Washington, DC 20024
202-385-4958
lance.nuckolls@faa.gov
Lance.Nuckolls@faa.gov
Lastly, contact the FAA representative directly who is in-charge (so to speak) about this issue and hear about it from the horses mouth:
Randy Willis
Senior Analyst
Unmanned Aircraft Systems Office (AJR-36)
FAA Headquarters
800 Independence Ave, SW
Washington, DC 20591
Ph: 202-267-8565
Fax: 202-267-5809
randy.ctr.willis@faa.gov
THE PERSON IN SOUTHER CALIFORNIA FIELD OFFICE WE HAVE TALKED WITH TOO IS
Name: Dennis Fogarty
Email: dennis.fogarty@faa.gov
Phone Number:: 310 725-7212

Sorry, title was to include the word "commercial" heli flight. Editor wouldn't allow changing the title.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
brutal....... nothing pisses me off more than a company making money, paying taxes to get harrassed like this

What do you guys do exactly?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The most ****ed up reality of this is that a kid flying an RC heli for sport is way more dangerous than someone trying to make money at it. The business will have better equipment and be very concerned about maintaining their reputation. The business only gets shots from the heli and not doing aerobatic moves. This is all a control issue and/or a money issue. With that said, I do understand their concerns but they are going to make a lot of people lose a lot of money and kill a up and growing industry. You just cant make everything illegal because you cant control it...or wait, thats what government does.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The most ****ed up reality of this is that a kid flying an RC heli for sport is way more dangerous than someone trying to make money at it. The business will have better equipment and be very concerned about maintaining their reputation. The business only gets shots from the heli and not doing aerobatic moves. This is all a control issue and/or a money issue. With that said, I do understand their concerns but they are going to make a lot of people lose a lot of money and kill a up and growing industry. You just cant make everything illegal because you cant control it...or wait, thats what government does.

Ahhh the land of the free.. where innovation and forward thinking is embraced right..?

DKTek

What do you guys do exactly?

We are a full scale outfit using Wescams for film and video. We shoot mostly from helis but we also shoot from boats, camera cars, cranes, cable cams, etc. Because we also have Red cams, we also have RC equipment that we are testing but have not used them for any jobs yet. We're waiting for the FAA just like everyone else. I've been flying RC helis since 1985 and we definitely see a market for RC AP. Below 400 ft is the market, above and we do as we normally do with the full scale helis. Not to say that we don't go below 400ft with full scale, on closed sets and such, but not every situation is doable with a full scale heli. That's where the RC comes in but again, we haven't done so. We are ready though, when the FAA decides what they are going to do.

kloner

Aerial DP
we need to group together and get really really loud. is there a film industry forum or blog that others in your position look at that they might get together and become a part of the solution?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

LETTER BELOW FROM THE FAA TO OUR COMPANY
Gentlemen-
I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with the person or persons in

your organization who oversee your unmanned aircraft operation. As a
courtesy to you and your organization, I would like to discuss the existing
prohibition of commercial operations of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in
the U.S. national airspace as well as the rule making efforts the FAA is
currently undertaking to provide for such operations in the future.
Please respond within 5 business days.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Kind regards,
Lance
R. Lance Nuckolls
Aviation Safety Inspector – Flight Operations
FAA Office of Aviation Safety
Flight Standards Service
Unmanned Aircraft Program Office (AFS-407)
470 L’Enfant Plaza STE 3200
Washington, DC 20024
202-385-4958
lance.nuckolls@faa.gov
Lance.Nuckolls@faa.gov
Lastly, contact the FAA representative directly who is in-charge (so to speak) about this issue and hear about it from the horses mouth:
Randy Willis
Senior Analyst
Unmanned Aircraft Systems Office (AJR-36)
FAA Headquarters
800 Independence Ave, SW
Washington, DC 20591
Ph: 202-267-8565
Fax: 202-267-5809
randy.ctr.willis@faa.gov
THE PERSON IN SOUTHER CALIFORNIA FIELD OFFICE WE HAVE TALKED WITH TOO IS
Name: Dennis Fogarty
Email: dennis.fogarty@faa.gov
Phone Number:: 310 725-7212

Sorry, title was to include the word "commercial" heli flight. Editor wouldn't allow changing the title.

<tbody>
</tbody>

when the FAA has evidence they file an investigation. when they don't, they send out form letters in an attempt to get you to implicate yourself. i wouldn't reply. if they really want to talk to you they'll call or stop by.

DKTek

when the FAA has evidence they file an investigation. when they don't, they send out form letters in an attempt to get you to implicate yourself. i wouldn't reply. if they really want to talk to you they'll call or stop by.

I'm not really overly concerned as we haven't operated our RC gear commercially. There shouldn't be anything to investigate so I think you are correct Bartman. This is merely intimidation against doing so.

jes1111

As far as I understand it, even "testing" is classed as "commercial" activity. The "hire and reward part" is not the issue.

DKTek

As far as I understand it, even "testing" is classed as "commercial" activity. The "hire and reward part" is not the issue.

Perhaps Jes, but they'd have a hard time differentiating between operating line of sight RC and testing line of sight. They simply don't have the man power and if they did, it'd still be difficult as flying FPV is perfectly legal.

DKTek

I think we are so low on their concern list doing AP that throwing around form letters is their way of saying, "we are here"....but they aren't prepared to deal with us. I think it'll take registered business owners, wanting to operate as we hope to do, banning together to get the ball rolling. That just hasn't happened yet that I can see. Some may have tried but nothing like AMA has done for normal RC operations within the presence of the FAA. They have the numbers behind them and we as AP guys, so far, don't.

mailman35

imho the "letter" reads like bad spam/fishing attempt, and that info below is probably public anyway.
not to mention the fact like bart said they would find a better way to get in touch. certified mail, stop and knock, etc.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am almost inclined to call one of those numbers and talk to someone. I would love to stress how business is not the concern as we have something to lose. I dont want to raise any red flags so i probably wont call but i think we as a group do need a voice eventually. I know everyone is hush hush about what they do but let's be honest about it. We do it, hollywood hires some of us, they DO issue permits to fly RC helis occasionally, and hiding sucks. I think there is an advantage to scare tactics though as it will weed out those that are on the fence about getting into this. If the industry stays small there is more business to be had but less of a voice to speak for ourselves. So either way we there are issues. It is inevitable that this WILL become a new industry as it already is and here to stay. It's like gun control, you can make every gun illegal but the people who shouldnt have one will find a way to get one anyways.

Macsgrafs

I think you guys in the states have a seriously raw deal...ask yourselves who benefits from you guys NOT being allowed to operate commercially? Follow the money!
I'm not 100% up on us law, about 80%, but I do know these acts they call laws only apply to the PERSON & NOT the man or woman!
As men & women we are born FREE, its only after your parents registered you that you were given a legal fiction...your name!!!! The legal fiction is your person.
Just think how monopoly is played & thats how we live in the real world, your character (PERSON) gets to go around the board & gets rewards & penalties along the way. If you guys really want to see what can be done, try the lawful route...search out "Robert Menard".

Ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
they get permits because the city gets so much money they cant say no. Thats what happened with Gymkhana and that was in San Francisco! But they paid over 1million in permits alone.

Bowley

Should form a lobby group and try and recruit some corporate clout from other powers that gain from this industry.