British MR fliers UNITE

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Not entirely sure. peeps been through their BNUC where asked if they would be interested in becoming a member of a new organization "Sub20" I didnt! but contacted them anyway and filled in their online questionnaire.

I have been to busy to pressure it recently

Dave

AndySV1K

Ah ok. I'll ask Chris if he got asked as he went through ground school last week.

Do you think there will be a funny handshake to learn? :shame:

Andy.

ZAxis

What's SUB20??

Andy.

Its an offshoot of this group, http://www.uavs.org/ . A talking shop for the big guys, probably does involve secret handshakes and toasting the chairman. A bit too serious for us AP guys, if they talked of fly-ins and workshops it would probably look less clinical. Sort of suspect they were approached by EuroUSC to setup a semi-autominous organisation to keep graduates (!) within the fold.

andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Its an offshoot of this group, http://www.uavs.org/ . A talking shop for the big guys, probably does involve secret handshakes and toasting the chairman. A bit too serious for us AP guys, if they talked of fly-ins and workshops it would probably look less clinical. Sort of suspect they were approached by EuroUSC to setup a semi-autominous organisation to keep graduates (!) within the fold.

andy

Bugger heres me thinking someone was making a go of it with more time than I have!..

Bowley

This organization has not been formed yet and yes although it is an offshoot from UAVS trade organization, its management committee positions are open and available, including elected Chairman.
As the flyer states: "To achieve anything effective however, Sub20 needs to have a financial base to stage events and meetings" including workshops and fly in's I'm sure if thats what the membership wants.
I view it as beneficial to be affiliated with the 'big boys' The CAA are more likely to be more receptive to our collective concerns if those concerns are voiced from a focal point.

If anybody would like a copy of the flyer, pm email address and I can email the PDF.

Last edited by a moderator:

anaka

Hi UK flyers,
I just discovered this thread

I'm from another country but live in London by months and will stay for long
can I consider myself a UK flyer as well?

Aviator

Me too.. I am already a licensed operator and have been speaking to the C.A.A about UAV regulation and how to get involved? but as yet they have no working group on UAV regulation, so I would suggest there is still time to form something...

Aviator

Never heard of it? the only thing I have had is a questionaire from UAVS that was emailed to me by the C.A.A

Macsgrafs

Have you seen the prices they are chargign per year membership...F that!!!!!

Why are so many out to make money off us, why?
What I'm looking for is a group that charges say £40 per year membership...looks like I will start my own & put a stop to this rip off culture that's infecting this planet. Who has a higher claim over me than me? We are ALL born equal, yet it seems there are far to many numb skulls/sheeple happily paying for somethign that is rightfully theres from the start.

Ross

Aviator

Thanks Bowley, not seen that before but seems like they have some connection to UAVS also... What are people paying here? apart from BNUC and the £113 to CAA to look at your machine each year and certify it I also am paying just shy of £1000 per year for insurance against theft or damage and that includes 5 million public liability also.. Its kind of annoying when the BMFA charges £34 for 25 million public liability and you can insure against theft of 10k of kit for just £69 a year... I know there are alot of people with no R/C experience at all trying to get a piece of the action and throwing money at expensive setups and training, but you cannot buy experience and maybe thats why the costs are so high? I think a scheme where you get a discount a bit like when driving? Depending on how long you have held your BMFA or BNUC without issue... Some of us here have been flying for a decade or two without incident so it would be fair to say that we are competent and responsible and should be dealt a fair hand...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice to see this thread again.. I started this when I thought I would have more time to move it forward and start something.. lives twists and turns prevented that but I have completed the SUB20 form and had nowt back of any substance and ony got a reply after chasing more info.

There is defiantly a place for a MR group/body in the uk that the CAA may take seriously but right now I dont have time or resources to get it off the ground.

Any suggestions would be good. I do have a list of interested members of here but that was a good while ago now

May be its time for an update of interested parties/companies

Dave

Macsgrafs

Absolutely Aviator, I've been flying RC aircraft for the past 27 years without incident may I add!
I fly helis, fixed wing, MR, gliders....if it flies I've had it or have it basically.

Ross

how far you got obtaing requirements for a BNUC-S sylabus without going to eurousc

I was not going to do anything about this for a couple of months but I feel things are moving forward so quickly it needs to be done and done NOW. how far have you got obtaining what the caa want for a license? regards tiggy highman@btinternet.com

ZAxis

There is no option to the EuroUSC route. We tried direct to the CAA but although they were extremely helpful there was no way they'd issue the permission to operate without a valid BNUC-S(TM).
Its a bummer having to go to a monopoly holder but until some other accredited organisation gets in the game there is no option and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.

andy

I was not going to do anything about this for a couple of months but I feel things are moving forward so quickly it needs to be done and done NOW. how far have you got obtaining what the caa want for a license? regards tiggy highman@btinternet.com

Bnuc-s(tm)

There is no option to the EuroUSC route. We tried direct to the CAA but although they were extremely helpful there was no way they'd issue the permission to operate without a valid BNUC-S(TM).
Its a bummer having to go to a monopoly holder but until some other accredited organisation gets in the game there is no option and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.

andy

sounds like we need more people to lobby the caa accusing them of unfair practice allowing a monopoly could be a start and demanding an answer to the question What are your requirements for obtaining a examiners qualification for a BNUC -S exam, failure to disclose this information must constitute a breach of the freedom of information act 2000

I have emailed the CAA with my freedom of information request not sure if sent to right department will persevere if not.

Freedom of Information Act 2000
Any person making a request for information to a public authority is entitled—
(a)
to be informed in writing by the public authority whether it holds information of the description specified in the request, and
(b)
if that is the case, to have that information communicated to him.

thanks for your response any suggestions?

tiggy