Ahhhh! First flight not going well

robvree

OK, so I finished my AD-4 last night and was ready for the first flight but things aren't going as planned. The motor idle speed seems way too fast and once I start giving some throttle I get major shaking throughout the booms. Giving a lot more gas sometimes seems to stop the shaking.

Questions:
Why do you think my idle speed is so fast? What can I do to slow it down?
Any idea why as I start giving it more throttle (hoping to liftoff) I get crazy shaking in the booms? (it seems like something is out of balance but everything checks out balanced)

After the failed first hover I re-checked everything as follow:

- I'm using Maytech 30A ESC's, I just double checked all the settings of each one individually
** Calibrated Throttle
** Brake: Off
** Timing: High
** Switching Frequency: 16kHz
** Startup: Soft

- Motors are Avroto M2814-11S V3
** All motors spinning correct direction
** Motors spinning without props are very smooth with no wobbles

- Props APC 12x3.8 SF
** All balanced
** Correct props on correct motors

- DJI WKM
** Checked all settings
** Recalibrated TX
** Everything seems correct
** I had this unit on my Gaui 500x and it always flew great

Arxangel

Check if all the motors are bolted right and tight. They might be running smooth without the props because there is nothing to pull them out of balance. Also, check the calibration of the throttle range again and the trim positions.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I would agree with Arxangle.. check throttle calibration for start up motor speed but also the gains.. If you have them to high to start off the copter will shake while trying to lift off.. I have experienced this on my ADX3

Dave

OBTW welcome to MRF Arxangle.. where on the globe are you?

robvree

ROFL!!! Figured it out. I was just being a chicken $#!^. Compared to my Gaui 500x (my only other multi experience), this thing is a beast.

- The shakes were coming from the fact that I had the multi held to the ground with heavy rocks. I guess the DJI was trying to compensate against the rocks holding everything down.
- The idle speed is correct, I was just not used to something so powerful to begin with. Now I get it.

After checking everything again I took the rocks off, stood way back and gave it more gas. The multi jumped right in the air waiting for commands. I slowly flew around the backyard with a huge smile on my face, landed and then did a happy dance (complete with jazz hands). My wife thinks I'm a kook.

Seriously, I couldn't have gotten this far without these forums and the amazing depth of knowledge and help you guys throw around. Thanks!

Once again... Doing the happy dance.

Video to follow later.

yeehaanow

Shouldn't the startup be on "Start acceleration", as in 'fast'?

Related to what Arxangel said, did you test each motor for smoothness with the prop on?

EDIT: Ahh. I see. I have this same combo so I'll watch out for that power!

Arxangel

Good to hear that everything worked out. :) I can't say that I have much experience with quads, yet, since I am still waiting on all the parts for my first build, BUT I have been thinking a lot about balance and I am in the process of coming up with a stand to balance the WHOLE quad-copter. :)