British MR fliers UNITE

Bowley

Yeah I think the BMFA will need to review there tests in line with advancing technology.....FBL Heli's etc.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up.. here we go again.. I am really glad this is starting up again..
Ross.. I was told NOT to tell any BMFA examiner you were doing the exam for commercial reasons or they would either refuse or Charge for the exam.. but as I started down the hele rout and swapped to MR there was no way I was going to invest the time and money to learn to fly a hele suitable to take my test with.. IT WAS far cheaper to do the BUNC than that route.. To pass a BMFA hele test is far and away more expensive for MR fliers than paying for a sBNUC cert.

If the BMFA want to look at this I think it would be the best option but as Ian says to fly heles at BMFA sites is hard enough but to now introduce MR's I think would throw them into cardiac arrest..

Check out their mag.. have you ever seen anything about MR's other than a mention in advertisements?

To all the PM's on this I am getting thanks.. I am keeping a list of people offering their help and the list of the CV's is pretty impressive.

Dave

Macsgrafs

I suppose I'm lucky then Dave, I fly regular with my examiner, he's a great guy. He knew what I wanted the exam for & wasn't at all bothered, he said fly as I want to see & you'll get the ticket.....15 mins later I was a A cert owner. I put in 2 months of practice for that exam as well & then the CAA weaseled out of it ;) ;)

So true. never seen a mention of MR's....but the BMFA are very victorian in there outlook...just look at the FPV boys, they went straight to the CAA & managed to get permission to fly without a buddy box for aircraft up to 1.8Kg & there insurance is half the price of BMFA!!!!!! If they can do it, so can we.

Ross

Macsgrafs

PS, forgot to say...the BMFA heli test is far cheaper Dave than the BNUCs...you can get a mini titan 6ch heli for £125, add radio gear (which you will need for MR's anyway)....dont forget the test is free. Even a trex 500E can be bought quite cheaply this day & age...or how about the hobbyking 600 size heli for $150 (£100)....servos, cheap gyro & 7 channel orange RX for pennies.

Ross

Bowley

I feel your pain Ross, I was hammering the sticks training with 450 heli's and planes for the BMFA-A and then the change. good thing was, it was generic, by type (FW/rotary) unlike the BNUC. this is my main gripe with the BNUC-S...It is specific to that single SUAS.
Having said that, I have been told verbally that once the BNUC is issued for that system, as long as the certifying body is informed of changes and modifications they will amend that registered systems record to reflect (for a small admin fee) and not demand another flight test. I never have got this in print though. I have wondered though what the CAA position is on this. My feeling is that they would accept a BNUC on generic type basis on permission applications.

Macsgrafs

So if I've read you right, if you do your test with the BNUC on a quad, you can also get it ammended to include an octo if you ever change or of course vice versa? That should be correct, considering they all use the same FC board.

Ross

Bowley

I'n not sure on the finer details and like I said this was just said verbally. but I came away with the impression that if the change was not too major then that would be the case. Hopefully somebody else might be able to clarify. I would still advise anyone thinking of doing the BNUC be very assured and happy with their equipment beforehand. at the end of the day we are dealing the discretion of free enterprise and business is business.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I will try and put my interpretation down but it may be a good idea to inform EuroUSE of this thread and all of us try and encourage them to take part in the discussion..

I will push them but I think the more of us push then they may be more inclined to respond..

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
With the release of Cap722 revision 10/08/2012 and the request for feed back by the CAA it may be time to form the association.
I dont want to get into the politics of this and why and why and warefores of the legislation. It here and its active. The CAA's endorsement of the BUNC and BNUC's over anything else clarifiesthe situation.

What is needed is enough contributors to make the CAA and EuroUSE sit up and listen to the professionals using there MRUAV's legitimately. I will compile the list of interested parties. All I ask is that anyone wanting in needs to be BNUS qualified or has the intention of becoming so in the near future. I have been through the new document word for word and made notes on issues to raise / investigate / interoperate / challenge.

I suggest any one interested down load it from the link below and marks it up with their questions etc. We can then compile a document to put forward as a body not just me.

anyone interested PM me or post in here

Dave

Link to document
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP722.pdf

Macsgrafs

I see they have updated, yet they STILL say in section 3.1 that you dont necessary need the BNUC-s. Going to them with this rip off certificate will only convince them that they have it right & nothing will change...the more that go forward WITHOUT...then they will listen. Just my 1p's worth & I know you don't agree Dave, but that's life.

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up Ross.. It may well be a rip off BUT I did not have the time or the inclination to try another route. I chose to pay because it cost me less that way. The work was there and I would have not had it I had not gone down the BNUC route, nor then would I have got the work that has come off the back of that one and that one and that on.. Its a no brainier. Well for me its more than paid for itself.

There are some interesting amendments in there that need more clarification.. so anyone else want to jump in?

Dave

Bowley

What jumped out at me was that they (CAA) seem to have seen sense in terms of types and classifications.

Macsgrafs

Aye up Ross.. It may well be a rip off BUT I did not have the time or the inclination to try another route. I chose to pay because it cost me less that way. The work was there and I would have not had it I had not gone down the BNUC route, nor then would I have got the work that has come off the back of that one and that one and that on.. Its a no brainier. Well for me its more than paid for itself.

There are some interesting amendments in there that need more clarification.. so anyone else want to jump in?

Dave

Thats fine Dave, I have no problem with those who want to make a serious living from thier MR's, but what about us that might do 2 or 3 shoots per year for a few £'s?????

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
What jumped out at me was that they (CAA) seem to have seen sense in terms of types and classifications.

@ Bowley. Yes it is clearer but there are still what seems to me to be contradictions. Its these I want clarifying.. I got your details steve When I have finished marking it up Ill send you a copy over for your comments.

@ Ross.. I guess you just carry on and hope nowt happens.

Dave

plingboot

downloaded the document and had a very quick scan over it, will read more carefully over the next day or two. would be interested to see your thoughts dave.

still not taken my bnuc-s yet, work and stuff getting in the way, but do still intend to.

as an aside, i spoke, quite by chance, to a couple of experienced rc pilots who have gone down the 'dircet to caa' route for permissions and apparently had positive results.

not something i'm confident in doing, but maybe still an option for the experienced out there with the right connections.