British MR fliers UNITE

Macsgrafs

Ross I am all up for an association.. how do you think we should move it forward

Dave

To be honest with you Dave, you know more about the BNUC-s than anyone else I know, so can you explain what you had to do to get certified (excuse pun). Any photos/literature from them would be great for us to go along the "Equivalent" path.
There are enough of us here in the UK to get the show going & if like the BMFA+BNUC-s we have guidlines that encorporate the ANO, then I cant see how the CAA could refuse us!

Regards
Ross

Bowley

How do you guys feel about an association for RC Aerial Photography as opposed to MR's, technically basic MR flying and in fact FPV, comes under the auspices of the BMFA. BMFA however doesn't get involved with this aspect. Its a bit of a missing link.
Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

eyeball

I was thinking along the similar lines as yourself Bowley, I think we need an Amalgamated association that encompasses all aspects of RC Aerial work, both MR and Fixed Wing. I feel that this is a long term focus because this business is going to grow significantly within both private and the commercial sector. We only need to read the news or watch tv now and were getting recognised and uneductated people are seeing its potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Good points gents, but this is a MR forum & I',m sure most of us use MR for AP/AV...that's not saying that fixed wing or helis arent welcome. I was thinking along the lines of:-
MRSGB Multi Rotor Society of Great Britain. I wouldnt use UK, as that's a PLC! But a society can write it's own rules/regs & carries more clout to boot.

Ross

Macsgrafs

Attachments

• MRSGB.jpg
    MRSGB.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 290

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
How do you guys feel about an association for RC Aerial Photography as opposed to MR's, technically basic MR flying and in fact FPV, comes under the auspices of the BMFA. BMFA however doesn't get involved with this aspect. Its a bit of a missing link.
Just throwing some thoughts out there.

i'm watching you guys and thinking about something for the US but I'd avoid being a photography association as 'media' is more appropriate (photo/video/IR/sensors/etc.)

Macsgrafs

The problem I see is that if we have media in the title, then we might as well forget any other things that we use MR's for...if you get my drift?
Sticking with MRSGB, at least it engulfs ALL aspects of MR flying, as we are not tied to a theme.

But as I say, this is only my point of view, I'm easy going on it, as long as we take positive action.

Ross

Hey Droider

I would be more than willing to put time and whatever resources I have available up to support any such professional organisation. I am a newcomer to MRC's and am still waiting for delivery of my F450 with NAZA on board and a Fat Shark Predator setup to see with. I am however a long standing RC heli pilot, also a very longstanding PPL with 1500+ hours on various types including para dropping, photo shoot flying and who knows what else.

I am retired (aged 68) so can devote time to such an effort, and hopefully my background would also make me a useful asset ?

Anyway, let me know if you think I could help out positively
Ian

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Ian..

Thanks for the offer. I have put this on a bit of a back burner until I was ready to move it forward. I have a list of VERY useful people I have compiled.. I will add you to the list. I as looking at getting together sometime in late June/July with all interested parties..Keep an ey out on the UK board..These is a thread I started there about another UK meet but it did not get much interest apart from the usual names, which is fine I just expected a few more new comers to show an interest.

I will resurrect it in a couple of weeks and se what response I get..

Again thanks for the interest.. Just looked at your website.. would love to have a look at your stuff in the flesh.. where do you fly

Dave

Glad to hear I am on the list Dave...

I fly anywhere it is legal around the Poulton Le Fylde area. I prefer not to fly at clubs as they tend to be rather limiting, especially when you mix planks and helis. I dread to think what might happen if I turned up with a quad, or worst yet, wanted to fly it FPV ???? If your ever close to Poulton, give me a bell and come over to my "hangar". PM me for my cell #.
Cheers Ian

I am watching and reading this thread with a great deal of interest. I am inclined to go along with some of the views of Macsgrafs in particular on the costs of certification. I know from my own experiences within the electrical engineering and teaching industries that there are an awful amount of people, organisations and Quasi-Autonomous Non-Governmental Organisations (QUANGOs) out there just waiting to take your money but actually offer in return very very little. Huge self-appointed industries have been built in this way .The laws will always demand competence of the person and certification should reflect that. This is then often interpreted many many ways...hence the absolute confusion and then acceptance of it all by paying for whatever is asked. The question that remains for me is how the competency is measured and valued...is it via a self marking tick-box activity, old boy and school tie network, etc., etc. ? Or should it be via a 'no-exceptions' course organised by a non-money-making industry/hobby related organisation follwed by some form of test ? There are so many questions at this time and with no 'that is the way we should do it' answers.

Macsgrafs

The problem as I see it David is 2 fold. I like the majority on here do NOT want to see any tom,**** or sally taking to the skies & killing someone, therefore spoiling it for the rest of us. I much prefer a test of competence, like the BMFA tests...they are free, but you have to prove you can do what it says on the tin ;)

Ross

Ross, if like you say these BMFA test(s) are real tests of competence and even better, they are free, then surely that is the avenue that needs to be explored and if right confirmed as the 'way to go'. The equipment, I believe, is a very different question and not necessarily connected to the 'pilot' competence test(s). Sure there possibly should be something else that certifies a crafts airworthiness. In the 18 months that I have been 'playing' around with this stuff I have seen many crafts that are worthy of going into the air either as part of a business or a hobby but almost equally I have seen kit up there in the air flown alike by 'professionals' and hobbyists, that can only be considered dangerous to people and property. Again it raises a number of questions to overcome the "I'm a professional, I know what I'm doing so I am allowed to do this" and the "I'm just a hobbyist so none of these rules really apply to me" cultures. Some of the posted videos on other forums and indeed this forum are evident of this.

Macsgrafs

Ross, if like you say these BMFA test(s) are real tests of competence and even better, they are free, then surely that is the avenue that needs to be explored and if right confirmed as the 'way to go'. The equipment, I believe, is a very different question and not necessarily connected to the 'pilot' competence test(s). Sure there possibly should be something else that certifies a crafts airworthiness. In the 18 months that I have been 'playing' around with this stuff I have seen many crafts that are worthy of going into the air either as part of a business or a hobby but almost equally I have seen kit up there in the air flown alike by 'professionals' and hobbyists, that can only be considered dangerous to people and property. Again it raises a number of questions to overcome the "I'm a professional, I know what I'm doing so I am allowed to do this" and the "I'm just a hobbyist so none of these rules really apply to me" cultures. Some of the posted videos on other forums and indeed this forum are evident of this.

Very true David, I agree with everything you have said.
As for the BMFA certification...let's just say the CAA used to accept this & a few pros are still flying using the BMFA A cert...which the CAA now no longer accepts for new people...because there is money to be made from the BNUCs!

The BMFA certificates are both pratical & theory in the one test. Proving that one can handle a collective pitch helicopter in flight & also safety.

Ross

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Problem is that you can't (or couldn't) do a BMFA test with a multi. They also test you on manoeuvres that you wouldn't necessarily need flying a camera and taking pictures. I can't see why you can't just do a simple theory test and then a flight test. Theory could be learned from guidance notes they prepare and then a quick test flight with a few questions about how you check your craft before flights etc...much like a driving license.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macsgrafs

I'm all for simplicity Gunter & agree with your statement. The BMFA heli cert is a lot harder in my book....there is no auto levelling for a start & you have to fly it all the time.

Ross