Aeroxcraft Brushless Gopro Gimbal

rubyx

Alternatively if you are not up to that the simplest and fastest way would be to get another board from Rob, although I notice he is out of stock. If you source one from elsewhere you may have to upload the Atmega328 boot loader first then the firmware _61r then go through the setup process as described in Robs support documents.

I purchased another board. I figure I should know how to repair or use another controller in case something like this happens anyway. There was no smoke and it was in for only 2 seconds. The board still works with the USB in it but will not power up with a battery or work. I flew it once and was aware that something like this could happen. I even ordered the switch so this would not happen and I did it anyway.

I suggest that everyone who buys this board buy a switch because there is no reverse polarity as a safe guard. Bottom line is that u don't want to be plugging in a battery directly in the board every time u use it without some kinda safeguard.

hauke11

In case I connected a LiPo 2S AND a cable to the NAZA-M... would that blow anything up? I did not smell anything, nor did I see any smoke. But still there is noch reaction from the board when I connect the LiPo only :-(

B

Bengit

In case I connected a LiPo 2S AND a cable to the NAZA-M... would that blow anything up? I did not smell anything, nor did I see any smoke. But still there is noch reaction from the board when I connect the LiPo only :-(

What cable are you connecting to the Naza, there should not be any connections from the gimbal to the Naza...

CrashMaster

I use a 7.4v UBEC so the wiring stays connected all the time but I would agree that if you are using a Lipo a switch or connector which can't be put wrong way be used to prevent accidents

kallend

Yes connect to the board and then directly to the channel on your RX not the NAZA or WKM. Before doing so be very careful to remove the live or red wire from the plugs, I stripped the whole wire off the harness. Then plug into the RX in the normal way. At the other end where you plug to the gimbal board, change the white or yellow wire (signal) to the slot where the red wire has been removed. Then the plug goes over the bottom three pins. The first slot should now be empty the next the signal - yellow or orange wire - and the third from the bottom the ground - black or brown wire. Be very careful when doing this because if you haven't removed the live wire or at least isolated it you may well fry your board and possibly your RX.

OK, I just bought one of the Aeroxcraft brushless gimbals and installed it on myF550. Everything works fine, very smooth and steady EXCEPT the tilt control is weird. I'm using AUX3 knob on a DX8 Tx. The knob position doesn't control the tilt angle, it controls the speed at which the tilt angle changes. If the knob is centered the tilt angle holds at whatever value it happens to have. Move the knob off center either way and the tilt angle increases or decreases until it hits the limit. The SPEED at which the angle changes depends on the knob position.

Totally useless. Does anyone have any insights?

Also I have no idea what software version is installed - how do I find out? My gimbal tilts from straight ahead to straight down (90 degrees of movement).

Last edited by a moderator:

rubyx

I just got another controller and updated the software. Took a few hours to set it all up but the 90 degree tilt works perfect and everything is ready to go. I even hooked up a switch so no more problems blowing the board, turns on and off very smooth.

CrashMaster

OK, I just bought one of the Aeroxcraft brushless gimbals and installed it on myF550. Everything works fine, very smooth and steady EXCEPT the tilt control is weird. I'm using AUX3 knob on a DX8 Tx. The knob position doesn't control the tilt angle, it controls the speed at which the tilt angle changes. If the knob is centered the tilt angle holds at whatever value it happens to have. Move the knob off center either way and the tilt angle increases or decreases until it hits the limit. The SPEED at which the angle changes depends on the knob position.

Totally useless. Does anyone have any insights?

Also I have no idea what software version is installed - how do I find out? My gimbal tilts from straight ahead to straiht down (90 degrees of movement).
The pitch control only controls the pitch on the gimbal and not roll. The speed the pitch moves to the position you moved the pot is cotrolled in the GUI setup. The lower the value the slower the movement. I have mine set fo smooth video so from max up to max down takes about 2 seconds.

Check your wireing exactly and compare it to the instructions counting the pins exactly. The bottom pin is not used. The 2nd and 3rd from the bottom are the only ones used.

CrashMaster

I just got another controller and updated the software. Took a few hours to set it all up but the 90 degree tilt works perfect and everything is ready to go. I even hooked up a switch so no more problems blowing the board, turns on and off very smooth.
Excellent.... I am glad it is now working for you.
An expensive lesson for us all to learn. Check, check and check again before aplying power.

kallend

The pitch control only controls the pitch on the gimbal and not roll. The speed the pitch moves to the position you moved the pot is cotrolled in the GUI setup. The lower the value the slower the movement. I have mine set fo smooth video so from max up to max down takes about 2 seconds.

Check your wireing exactly and compare it to the instructions counting the pins exactly. The bottom pin is not used. The 2nd and 3rd from the bottom are the only ones used.

I'm not trying to control roll. I would simply like the pitch (tilt) angle to follow the Tx control. Right now the speed at which the pitch angle changes (its first derivative) follows the Tx control.

CrashMaster

I'm not trying to control roll. I would simply like the pitch (tilt) angle to follow the Tx control. Right now the speed at which the pitch angle changes (its first derivative) follows the Tx control.
Is the pitch moving when you turn the pot when the craft is on the ground and not moving?

kallend

Is the pitch moving when you turn the pot when the craft is on the ground and not moving?

Yes.

If you're into calculus, calling the pitch angle "theta", the pot is controlling d(theta)/dt. Only when the pot is centered is the gimbal stationary.

Move the pot off center even a little bit and the pitch angle keeps changing until it reaches its limit.

CrashMaster

Yes.

If you're into calculus, calling the pitch angle "theta", the pot is controlling d(theta)/dt. Only when the pot is centred is the gimbal stationary.

Move the pot off centre even a little bit and the pitch angle keeps changing until it reaches its limit.
I don't understand what the problem is.

There is a delay in the pitch movement, the speed of which is changed in the GUI. This will slow down the speed the gimbal reacts to pilot input. Move the pitch down all the way and it will slowly tilt down so the camera is pointing down. The gimbal does not stop because you have stopped moving the pot it continues until it reaches the point you stopped moving the pot to.

If this is not what is happening are you able to video it and post it so we can see what the problem is you are describing.

kallend

I don't understand what the problem is.

There is a delay in the pitch movement, the speed of which is changed in the GUI. This will slow down the speed the gimbal reacts to pilot input. Move the pitch down all the way and it will slowly tilt down so the camera is pointing down. The gimbal does not stop because you have stopped moving the pot it continues until it reaches the point you stopped moving the pot to.

If this is not what is happening are you able to video it and post it so we can see what the problem is you are describing.

I'll see if I can make a video. Is there a preferred way to post video on this forum?

HOWEVER, the gimbal behaves just as I described it. The position of the pot on the Tx controls only the speed at which the pitch angle changes. It does not in any way set an end point to the movement. The gimbal angle keeps changing until either the pot is centered, or the gimbal reaches its limit. When the pot is centered the gimbal pitch angle stays wherever it happens to be. Whenever the pot is off center, even a tiny bit, the gimbal just keeps moving until it reaches its limit.

This is totally unlike my old servo driven gimbal. With that the pitch angle depended directly on the pot position. You could set the gimbal pitch angle just by moving the pot to a given position (rather like the rudder angle on an RC plane is set by the position of the rudder stick on the Tx).

This seems like the rational way to set it up. Example - I want the gimbal pointed 30 degrees down, move the pot to this position. Want it 45 degrees down, move the pot to that position. Want it 60 degrees down, move the pot to the appropriate position. Right now the only way I can set the gimbal to a specific angle is to watch it move and stop it moving when it gets there.

CrashMaster

Can you connect a simple servo to the same port on your RX and see if the servo behaves the same. If the servo behaves correctly and moves proportionately to the pot movement then there must be something in GUI setup needing altered or the board is indeed faulty. If the servo behaves as the gimbal then there is either something in the TX settings causing it or the Pot may be defective. (try changing the pot you are using to another one on your TX)

kallend

Yes, a servo moves correctly.

I'm sure it's probably a setting in the firmware that needs fixing. However, I am not familiar with the board (since the gimbal came as "ready to fly" with no information.)

B

Bengit

Yes, a servo moves correctly.

I'm sure it's probably a setting in the firmware that needs fixing. However, I am not familiar with the board (since the gimbal came as "ready to fly" with no information.)

It probably is (I have no probs with a dx8), go back through this thread and download the software/upgrades. This gimbal is excellent, please download gimbal information from the website.

Last edited:

CrashMaster

It probably is (I have no probs with a dx8), go back through this thread and download the software/upgrades. This gimbal is excellent, please download gimbal information from the website.

I concur with Bengit the gimbal is very very good.

The Gimbal Information can be downloaded Here:-

Gimbal Instructions:- Brushless GoPro Gimbal
Upgrade instructions:- Updating and Adjusting the Martinez Brushless Board
Driver update if no connection to gimbal with USB:- Martinez Brushless Board - Windows 7 Driver Issues

Please read all the instructions very carefully because missing out one step will make the process fail.

kallend

Thanks guys.

What in particular would need changing? Other than the R/C controlled tilt the gimbal is excellent for stability and smooth video and I don't want to mess up any of the stability parameters. Is there a way I can inherit them from the existing set-up?

kallend

I concur with Bengit the gimbal is very very good.

The Gimbal Information can be downloaded Here:-

Gimbal Instructions:- Brushless GoPro Gimbal
Upgrade instructions:- Updating and Adjusting the Martinez Brushless Board
Driver update if no connection to gimbal with USB:- Martinez Brushless Board - Windows 7 Driver Issues

Please read all the instructions very carefully because missing out one step will make the process fail.

Sorry, but I find this quite unacceptable service. I bought this gimbal as a ready to USE device. Clearly there is a problem with a setting. I have now wasted several hours trying to follow the instructions which are for the most part written for techie geeks. I used a Windows XP computer to avoid the Win7 problems described.

The site where they CLAIM the correct drivers are to be found does NOT have the drivers specified (2.08.24) at the bottom of the page, just version2.08.28. The instructions assume a familiarity with arduino that I do not have nor did I ever wish to have.

I was not expecting to be fiddling with an experimental gimbal in order to make it work properly.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS CHANGE 1 SETTING - it should not have to take hours to achieve this. I shouldn't have to be going into windows device manager to read com port numbers to achieve this. I shouldn't have to follow SIX PAGES of instruction just to get the device driver loaded. I shouldn't have to follow ELEVEN PAGES of instruction of using Arduino. I shouldn't have to mess around with different releases of the .ino file to achieve this.

"
Please read all the instructions very carefully because missing out one step will make the process fail." is simply unacceptable product support.