Aeroxcraft Brushless Gopro Gimbal

The gimbal works with the S-Bus and additional plug into the Rx itself.

I updated the software to r61 and in the end I received the following message (in red):
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xdf

Any ideas?

I followed the W7 driver software instructions prior to loading the Arduino 1.0.5 program. I was also unsuccessful in getting ActiveTcl to start.

Dale.

The gimbal works with the S-Bus and additional plug into the Rx itself.

I updated the software to r61 and in the end I received the following message (in red):
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xdf

Any ideas?

I followed the W7 driver software instructions prior to loading the Arduino 1.0.5 program. I was also unsuccessful in getting ActiveTcl to start.

Dale.
Update:
I downloaded and installed _r77 - and received the same error message. Even with that message, I was able to open the tool and make adjustments to the gimbal - I guess it was there all of the time, I just didn't read completely enough to know that it was part of what I had downloaded!

OK, so drivers installed, software downloaded and updated to the the gimbal (Save to Flash) and the gimbal setup on a separate channel on my Tx.

I used the settings suggested by Bengit, flashed to board and tried it on the MR. I am still only able to move the pitch by ~30 degrees.

Am I missing something . . . ?

I appreciate any input from you guys that have gotten this to work....I seem to be at my wits end.

Dale.

B

Bengit

Update:
I downloaded and installed _r77 - and received the same error message. Even with that message, I was able to open the tool and make adjustments to the gimbal - I guess it was there all of the time, I just didn't read completely enough to know that it was part of what I had downloaded!

OK, so drivers installed, software downloaded and updated to the the gimbal (Save to Flash) and the gimbal setup on a separate channel on my Tx.

I used the settings suggested by Bengit, flashed to board and tried it on the MR. I am still only able to move the pitch by ~30 degrees.

Am I missing something . . . ?

I appreciate any input from you guys that have gotten this to work....I seem to be at my wits end.

Dale.

Did you "save to flash" ?

B

Bengit

Yes.
I also checked to make sure that the drivers are all correctly updated to 2.8.24

Sorry you are having real trouble, best thing I can suggest is delete everything from your pc and start again following Robs instructions to the letter/ sequence including the driver install. I have only installed to r61, no idea about r77

Get back if no help...Dave

CrashMaster

If you got the error when uploading the new code then it didn't upload because you weren't connected. If you then used the GUI from _77 it will not work because you are trying to apply changes to v_48 or v_61 depending which version it arrived with.

Do what Bengit says and start again following each step exactly. Also i would asvise using v_61 as I know it works.

Sorry you are having real trouble, best thing I can suggest is delete everything from your pc and start again following Robs instructions to the letter/ sequence including the driver install. I have only installed to r61, no idea about r77

Get back if no help...Dave
OK Thanks Bengit.
I'll delete the installs (drivers and the Arduino program) and start over.

If you got the error when uploading the new code then it didn't upload because you weren't connected. If you then used the GUI from _77 it will not work because you are trying to apply changes to v_48 or v_61 depending which version it arrived with.

Do what Bengit says and start again following each step exactly. Also i would asvise using v_61 as I know it works.

I had tried _r61 but I'll go for it again. I also clicked the "connect" button and it seemed (to me anyway) that it connected, but ..... obviously something didn't work as I was hoping....

Thanks guys - I'll post my findings when I get time to do this (tonight or tomorrow morning).

Dale.

I'm getting a slightly different error message (in red) now:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xdd <---the last message ended in 0xdf

When I start the bl-tool2_049.tcl I cannot connect. The box at the very bottom turns yellow and reads "TC: reading values"

I do NOT have my bettery plugged in while the USB cord is connected to the PC ... is that right?

Thanks again,
Dale.

success!!!
honestly ... I'm not certain what I did this time that I didn't do the other times, but ... this time is worked!

I have full 90 degree pitch down setup on my slider (with end points so it doesn't go past 90).

Woo Hoo!

Now I just need to finish my adapter plate so I can fly it.

Thank you Bengit and CrashMaster!

Dale.

CrashMaster

We'll done. I know how frustrating it is..... Been there.
If the wind keeps off for a while today I will be testing my New setups - gimbal, 60 degree lens, GoPro 3 Black, UV filter, CF blades and DJI Ground Station now I have 5 waypoints...

Need to charge lipos in the field too so will see if it all works well together.

View attachment 12469 View attachment 12470 View attachment 12471

Attachments

• IMAG0721.jpg
    IMAG0721.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMAG0720.jpg
    IMAG0720.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 301
  • IMAG0714.jpg
    IMAG0714.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 312
Last edited by a moderator:

B

Bengit

success!!!
honestly ... I'm not certain what I did this time that I didn't do the other times, but ... this time is worked!

I have full 90 degree pitch down setup on my slider (with end points so it doesn't go past 90).

Woo Hoo!

Now I just need to finish my adapter plate so I can fly it.

Thank you Bengit and CrashMaster!

Dale.

Great, hope the flight goes ok....

We'll done. I know how frustrating it is..... Been there.
If the wind keeps off for a while today I will be testing my New setups - gimbal, 60 degree lens, GoPro 3 Black, UV filter, CF blades and DJI Ground Station now I have 5 waypoints...

Need to charge lipos in the field too so will see if it all works well together.

View attachment 15801 View attachment 15802 View attachment 15803

CrashMaster -
Did you change out your stock GoPro lens for a narrower view? I've tried to find some definitive information on the FOV based on the selected resolution but it seems to be hidden! I thought (based on the selected resolution) that the FOV was 170, 127 and 70? ... so does the 60 degree lens provide an additional benefit that the 70 degree narrow view option doesn't?

Also, since the GPH3 doesn't fit inside the AeroXcraft gimbal in the housing, is the UV filter that you've chosen a 'slip on' or 'twist on'? I've only seen the slip on variety and am not certain about how well they will hold on once the MR is in the air and moving about. I was a bit concerned about damage to the lens so I've just ordered one from RageCams that is a 'slip on' and was wondering if I was going to need to secure it somehow.

CrashMaster

Attachments

• G0370644.jpg
    G0370644.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 333
  • GOPR0688.jpg
    GOPR0688.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 272

eburgher

Is there anyone in Southern CA that has this dialed and can help me out? Have been messing around with it for a couple of weeks and have still been unsuccessful getting any movement out of my AeroX brushless gimbal (outside of the self-leveling that occurs when it is powered on).
I have trouble-shot just about anything and everything I can find, yet no success.
Any help is greatly appreciated, and happy to pay for your time!
Thanks to the community in advance for the help, I just want to get this up and flying!
Evan

B

Bengit

Is there anyone in Southern CA that has this dialed and can help me out? Have been messing around with it for a couple of weeks and have still been unsuccessful getting any movement out of my AeroX brushless gimbal (outside of the self-leveling that occurs when it is powered on).
I have trouble-shot just about anything and everything I can find, yet no success.
Any help is greatly appreciated, and happy to pay for your time!
Thanks to the community in advance for the help, I just want to get this up and flying!
Evan

Hi there, have you followed the adjustment documentation on the aeroxcraft website? Are you saying the the gimbal does not move at all when the craft is moved?

B

Bengit

The 60 degree lens I got was from http://www.pimp-your-kopter.de
Here is their comparison of the standard GoPro lens and the 60 degree lens at different settings - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-qFm4x5VyU

However, having tried it today I need to re-focus it because the images are not very clear and the colour is very poor.

View attachment 15807 GoPro Standard Lens 2 MP

View attachment 15813 60 Degree lens 2 MP

How are you refocusing, I believe the easiest way is via live out whilst connected to a tv....

eburgher

Hi there, have you followed the adjustment documentation on the aeroxcraft website? Are you saying the the gimbal does not move at all when the craft is moved?

Yes, I have followed the adjustment documentation on the AeroX website, however I have not had any success getting the new firmware to load to be able to adjust the pitch values. I am sure it is something simple, but my patience is rapidly depreciating! Unfortunately I have not found a hobby shop that knows ANYTHING about this kind of stuff, but I am ready for some hands on support I think!

Any ideas?

CrashMaster

How are you refocusing, I believe the easiest way is via live out whilst connected to a tv....
Bengit, I think that is the only way to focus it. I have had a play and today got some proper flight time. The focus is better having had a play last night. I have a friend with a 60" TV so will go and see if I can get it clearer still on his. The problem is that my TV is only 30" and it is impossible to see anything over 30ft away never mind if it is in sharp focus or not.

View attachment 12490Taken at 40 metres It still looks darker than the standard lens.

View attachment 12491Taken on the ground

I am trying to get a video under 500mb to upload to Vimeo

Attachments

• GOPR0784.jpg
    GOPR0784.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 255
  • GOPR0765.jpg
    GOPR0765.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, I have followed the adjustment documentation on the AeroX website, however I have not had any success getting the new firmware to load to be able to adjust the pitch values. I am sure it is something simple, but my patience is rapidly depreciating! Unfortunately I have not found a hobby shop that knows ANYTHING about this kind of stuff, but I am ready for some hands on support I think!

Any ideas?

Can you provide some details about your PC? W7, XP, Mac, etc?

I also (as you can read from the older posts) had issues getting connected and the firmware updated.
For W7/XP:
1. Follow the steps to update your drivers as described here: http://www.aeroxcraft.com/content/downloads/martinez_board_windows _7_drivers.pdf
2. Follow the steps to update the Martinez board here: http://www.aeroxcraft.com/content/downloads/uploading_software_martinez_board.pdf

I went through #1 about 3 times. You can check if your drivers are correctly updated by going to Start --> Control Panel --> Device Manager and left click (once to expand) the selection (i.e. Universal Serial Bus controllers). RIGHT click the selection that you are wanting to check (i.e. USB Serial converter) and point your mouse to Properties and select the "Driver" tab. The 3rd item down reads "Driver Version". If you installed it correctly it should read 2.08.24. IF NOT, then you need to start over and follow the instructions again (like I had to!).

AFTER you confirm that the drivers for both the "Ports" (COM port assigned to your gimbal) and the Universal Serial Bus Controllers ("USB Serial Converter" at the very bottom of the list) show the same driver 2.08.24 ... proceed to following the steps in the .pdf as linked to in #2 above.

For #2, critically important (in my case anyway) was following the instructions when installing the Arduino program. You MUST untick the "Install USB Driver" option!! If you didn't do this, uninstall and start over with #1 above.

Once done with the steps above, click the connect button the Arduino program after you connect the gimbal board to your PC via your USB cable. Make you r changes (I used the ones from Bengit in an earlier post in this thread) and when done editing, selected save, Load, Load to Flash.

Once all of that is done, you will need to set up your TX/RX to control the gimbal on whichever channel you select. I am using a Futaba MZ14 / S-Bus Rx and can help you through that but if you are using a Spectrum (or?) then someone else will need to help you through that channel assignment / setup.

Hope I didn't miss anything and that this helps?
Dale.

B

Bengit

Can you provide some details about your PC? W7, XP, Mac, etc?

I also (as you can read from the older posts) had issues getting connected and the firmware updated.
For W7/XP:
1. Follow the steps to update your drivers as described here: http://www.aeroxcraft.com/content/downloads/martinez_board_windows _7_drivers.pdf
2. Follow the steps to update the Martinez board here: http://www.aeroxcraft.com/content/downloads/uploading_software_martinez_board.pdf

I went through #1 about 3 times. You can check if your drivers are correctly updated by going to Start --> Control Panel --> Device Manager and left click (once to expand) the selection (i.e. Universal Serial Bus controllers). RIGHT click the selection that you are wanting to check (i.e. USB Serial converter) and point your mouse to Properties and select the "Driver" tab. The 3rd item down reads "Driver Version". If you installed it correctly it should read 2.08.24. IF NOT, then you need to start over and follow the instructions again (like I had to!).

AFTER you confirm that the drivers for both the "Ports" (COM port assigned to your gimbal) and the Universal Serial Bus Controllers ("USB Serial Converter" at the very bottom of the list) show the same driver 2.08.24 ... proceed to following the steps in the .pdf as linked to in #2 above.

For #2, critically important (in my case anyway) was following the instructions when installing the Arduino program. You MUST untick the "Install USB Driver" option!! If you didn't do this, uninstall and start over with #1 above.

Once done with the steps above, click the connect button the Arduino program after you connect the gimbal board to your PC via your USB cable. Make you r changes (I used the ones from Bengit in an earlier post in this thread) and when done editing, selected save, Load, Load to Flash.

Once all of that is done, you will need to set up your TX/RX to control the gimbal on whichever channel you select. I am using a Futaba MZ14 / S-Bus Rx and can help you through that but if you are using a Spectrum (or?) then someone else will need to help you through that channel assignment / setup.

Hope I didn't miss anything and that this helps?
Dale.

Nice one Dale, just saved me loads of typing.....