Software upgrade caused issues

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I just upgraded my naza software and firmware to the newest version, and now I have no throttle until I reach 50% in atti and GPS modes. In manual I have full control of the throttle. Checked all my calibrations and re-calibrated and I see no issues. Anyone seen this? any idea what is going on?

now on the 3.10 Firmware and 2.10 assistant. from 2.02 and and 1.8.

Tahoe Ed

That is the way the new firmware works. When you reach 50% throttle the Naza lifts off in ATTI and GPS. This is normal for this version of the software.

I just upgraded my naza software and firmware to the newest version, and now I have no throttle until I reach 50% in atti and GPS modes. In manual I have full control of the throttle. Checked all my calibrations and re-calibrated and I see no issues. Anyone seen this? any idea what is going on?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Really, wow.... maybe I should have read a little more before doing this...lol. So I guess, when it sees a positive rate of climb or over so many feet, I will be able to descend normally?

Dewster

I think that their new auto takeoff feature. I guess it will help prevent the flip overs when noobs don't give it enough throttle on take off. Can you turn off that feature?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yeah, Tahoe Ed was saying the same thing. I have not seen it anywhere in the settings, but I am still getting used to the new Assistant... it is very different. I guess that would be a neat thing for the noobs, but I kinda liked it the way it was, maybe DJI can put a switch in the software for noob modes and advanced modes? That would be great.

Tahoe Ed

v3.10 flies fine. The new take off sequence is different and no you cannot turn it off. However, it only works in ATTI and GPS. In Manual, it is just as it always was.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
v3.10 flies fine. The new take off sequence is different and no you cannot turn it off. However, it only works in ATTI and GPS. In Manual, it is just as it always was.

I tried reading through the manual, but I could not see how this works out now. Does it give you the throttle back once in the air? because I am afraid if I drop my throttle below 50% the motors will go into an idle.

Wow! As a new comer, I was flying 2.02 today in heavy wind so I could compare with my usual fcb. Then I read Ed's post and went ahead and loaded up 3.10 and went back out and flew again in the same wind. I'd say this version shows a 25% improvement. I can also say after reviewing the GoPro footage from those 2 flights that Naza-M may have just replaced my usual fcb. Very impressive, especially the GPS position hold and rth accuracy. All I can say is this ain't no toy!

PilotMan

OK... Question....... Describe the new startup process? As I understand it, the motors don't start till 50% throttle and it jumps up to hover quickly...... I don't like surprises.

This brings up another issue.... I have a motor stall issue on startup with one of the motors. Its easy to fix... just turn the motor a quarter turn and then fire it up again. Only happens once every 10 or so flights. I can see the copter self launching with one of the motors locked up and over she might go!! :upset:

Do you control when it launches? Is there a bit of an idol time just incase I have this problem?

THanks

Dewster

Really, wow.... maybe I should have read a little more before doing this...lol. So I guess, when it sees a positive rate of climb or over so many feet, I will be able to descend normally?[

i guess DJI is trying to engineer pilot mistakes out of their flight system. Imagine how many roll their craft on take off, flip it back over without inspection and take off. I wonder how the system would handle a missing or loose prop during auto take off? Would it recognize a problem and set down?

PatMike

Phantom on 3.10.

My motors don't start following the upgrade. Indicator is green (see next). I get the rapid green when performing motor-start, but the motors do nothing.

I get a double-blink green (sticks not centered?) unless throttle is at 50% (all sticks centered). Once both sticks are centered, I get slow green. The motors never even twitch when going from motor-start to throttle-center.

In the 2.02 assistant, my sticks look OK as I cycle them, and this thing was taking movies yesterday with the old firmware.

Next, I'll try manual (had set the switch for FS - nice addition, DJI).

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
PatMike, DJI and others have recommended not flashing the Phantom.

Other questions answered.... to Dewster and Pilotman.... From what I can gather, and I can see it when I test my motors....

When you arm, the motors will start up and idle, will cut out of less than 10% throttle as before. You can move your stick up to 50% and you will have no reaction to prop speed, still at idle until you hit 50%. My 550 due to weight, sits on the ground still which is very lucky as I was testing this in my front room. The idea is to get the motors up to speed and get it in the air, once in the air and I presume a few feet, you will have 100% of your throttle back.

Not sure how it would handle a broken prop, more than likely, a 450 would not handle it at all without flipping, a 550 or any hex might. I have heard these units compensate for a missing prop, but I can't verify that as it has not happened to me.

Still waiting for better weather to test my new load out, can't wait! will report back.

PatMike

PatMike, DJI and others have recommended not flashing the Phantom.

You're mistaken. DJI is telling people to install 3.10 on the Phantom.

If you plug a Phantom into the DJI Assistant - the only official path of communication that most people have with DJI - they are told to upgrade.

Reading various forums, most seem to have an overall positive experience with the update, but my motors never start when triggered. I was hoping someone had a suggestion.

SOLVED: Performed advanced IMU calibration.

Suggestion to DJI: There are seven conditions that can prevent motor start. Five of these are detectable from the firmware. Don't flash OK indicators if any of those five conditions exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Thank you for telling me that I was mistaken, since I posted the above, DJI has changed there information. Now it states the following..

For your own and others’ safety, if you are using Phantom, please DO NOT try to use the Naza-M Assistant Software on this page to restore or upgrade the Naza-M firmware in PHANTOM. If anything would occur by doing this, DJI will not assume any responsibility. Thank you very much for your cooperation!

I was not the only one to share this information on this board, but it would seem now, they are happy with the software for the Phantom.

Today I was able to fly today using the new firmware, pretty impressed, even with the weird take off throttle position. Seems more stable, and held better in GPS with less buffeting on decent.